The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

6 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Don't understand the boat ramp thingy and I don't have a boat. What about golf courses? What's next sidewalks?

I don’t either. They close the boat ramps but keep Lowe’s and Home Depot open which are packed with people like sardines. Our governor is an idiot. 

Edited by gman430

14 hours ago, gman said:

My pillow guy doing an info commercial during the daily briefing. What in the world is going on? 

just a little product placement for a buddy during a pandemic.  I literately shudder to think  what is going on that isn't happening in broad daylight on tv. 

^^^ We can only hope. I'd rather us over-react up front in order to save lives, and get people back out supporting businesses and the economy ASAP. I don't believe the news media is doing the average American any favors, though. They're definitely sowing division and driving folks into camps with their fabulous "analysis" pieces. Report the **** news and let us all live. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, StrangeCock said:

The president himself admitted today at the press conference that a minimum of 100,000 Americans will die, IF we enact strict social distancing practices. If not, it could be 1,000,000. California is enacting social distancing practices. South Carolina is not.

Will this FINALLY be enough to silence the "it's only the flu" crowd?

It’s only the flu. ;) :silly: 

Edited by gman430

10 hours ago, StrangeCock said:

The president himself admitted today at the press conference that a minimum of 100,000 Americans will die, IF we enact strict social distancing practices. If not, it could be 1,000,000. California is enacting social distancing practices. South Carolina is not.

Will this FINALLY be enough to silence the "it's only the flu" crowd?

The President did say that, parrotting Fauci's numbers, of course. But which Fauci are you going to believe?

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/fauci-offers-more-conservative-death-rate-academic-article-public-virus

While I celebrate the 333,240,461 who are still uninfected, I come down more strongly that shutting down is the correct option.    The reason is that the actual hospitalization numbers and effects are following the disease model.   It's unrealistic to expect that we can go about our way while jamming the hospitals full of the severely ill, with a disproportionate stress and death rate from first responders and health care providers.   The result of such a scenario is likely to be worse than short term shutdowns.

The solution to the effect of being out of work for a period needs to be along the lines of everyone taking a time out, including on loan payments.   So the hair care technician who rents a space, paying the landlord who pays mortgage to the bank - the bank needs to put those payments on hold, etc.   This goes all the way back to the portion of my investment portfolio that will take a hit (a small percentage of the overall hit).

1 hour ago, Exile said:

The President did say that, parrotting Fauci's numbers, of course. But which Fauci are you going to believe?

Fauci only threw out the possibility that the clinical death rate can be lower, given the low testing/detection rate.     But among those actually tested, the 1 - 2.3% rates are solid and the fact remains: hospitals in Louisiana, Florida, and New York are overloaded while dealing with a singular event.  He hasn't changed projected total death count ranges, as well as projected hospital loads; only saying that the death counts will be on the lower end if we best observe the distancing and hygiene recommendations. 

Edited by bikeoid

Current infected in the US 188,639, deaths due to Covid-19 is 4,059,  That's a mortality rate of 2.1%.  Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%.  Covid-19 is currently 21 times more lethal than the Flu in the US.  It also is far more infectious than Flu

THIS IS NOT THE FLU