The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

5 minutes ago, Danmire said:

Please quit these moronic comments.  They are ignorant, uniformed, unfunny, and serve absolutely no purpose than possibly to make yourself laugh.

Nothing ignorant about it. Lowe’s and Home Depot are packed with people everyday. That’s a fact. What good is shutting down Falls Park gonna do if these retailers are able to run like this? If you’re gonna shut down one thing you need to shut down everything. Otherwise the virus will continue to spread.

Edited by gman430

23 minutes ago, Danmire said:

Current infected in the US 188,639, deaths due to Covid-19 is 4,059,  That's a mortality rate of 2.1%.  Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%.  Covid-19 is currently 21 times more lethal than the Flu in the US.  It also is far more infectious than Flu

THIS IS NOT THE FLU

Current known infected, with practically everybody who is somebody (including Fauci, if I'm not mistaken), acknowledging that the actual infection rate is certainly "orders of magnitude higher." Which would make the actual mortality rate orders of magnitude lower. It is still quite possibly higher than "seasonal flu," but quite likely less than some of the more apocalyptic-sounding projections.

BTW, I have no animosity toward Fauci. I'm sure he's a very nice guy. But he's The Man when it comes to these things, and so he stands in for all who follow his lead.

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

They don’t report that 95% of the cases are deemed mild with little to no symptoms. Sooner or later we are going to have to go back to work and continue to fight this virus. We can do both. If we don’t the country will be in chaos with food shortages, homelessness etc. 

Not sure who 'They' are, but all sources I follow report that most cases are mild.  The widely accepted number is 80% as mild.   15% as significant.  5% as very serious.  BUT, that 5%.   Considering that the transmissible index is much higher than the seasonal flu - the 5% would all go critical in a short period of time; a few weeks at most.   Do you propose dumping more than 100,000 (probably much more) into hospitals within a short period to die all at once?   And so sorry, all first responders and health care providers having to deal with that.

Whereas the more we can delay it allows: time to prepare, time to build up supplies of PPE and ventilators, time to research and conduct tests; if they can create an effective treatment much sooner than a vaccine, that would also allow everyone to get back to life.

• Thanks 1

Bikeoid: what do your sources say about the hydroxychloroquine + zinc + Azithromycin? Seems to me the anecdotal evidence is strong there. If it's as bad as they're saying, we don't really have time to wait for a double-blind study of some new treatment. Right?

And note: an apparent problem with projection models.

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 7.41.58 PM.png

Edited by Exile

2 hours ago, bikeoid said:

Not sure who 'They' are, but all sources I follow report that most cases are mild.  The widely accepted number is 80% as mild.   15% as significant.  5% as very serious.  BUT, that 5%.   Considering that the transmissible index is much higher than the seasonal flu - the 5% would all go critical in a short period of time; a few weeks at most.   Do you propose dumping more than 100,000 (probably much more) into hospitals within a short period to die all at once?   And so sorry, all first responders and health care providers having to deal with that.

Whereas the more we can delay it allows: time to prepare, time to build up supplies of PPE and ventilators, time to research and conduct tests; if they can create an effective treatment much sooner than a vaccine, that would also allow everyone to get back to life.

No quite the opposite. Just saying that the shutdown cannot continue too long because the damage will be irreparable. 

https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article241807571.html

Seeking to further minimize movement across the state, South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster issued a more pointed executive order Monday telling people to stay at home if they are not at work or out tending to essential needs.

The executive order takes effect Tuesday, and follows a number of other mandates McMaster already has issued prohibiting large gatherings, closing access to beaches and lakes and closing many nonessential businesses to curb the spread of the coronavirus, which causes COVID-19, a potentially severe upper respiratory disease.

I did say it was inevitable right? Should've been done a week or two ago, I'll never understand the reason for delaying the inevitable.

10 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article241807571.html

I did say it was inevitable right? Should've been done a week or two ago, I'll never understand the reason for delaying the inevitable.

So, what exactly will different at 5:00 tomorrow, besides no longer being one of the few states without this order? 

7 minutes ago, gman said:

So, what exactly will different at 5:00 tomorrow, besides no longer being one of the few states without this order? 

It can now be enforced by law enforcement 

McMaster said a violation of his order is a misdemeanor and carries 30 days in jail and/or $100 fine for each day of violation.

There was a party in my apartment complex over the weekend with 20+ people. The police came, but they couldn't, by law, do anything but just tell people to go home and not be dumb.  Also, the NYT ran an article last week about the difference in travel behaviors of people in counties under stay at home orders and people who weren't.  In short, stay-at-home orders drastically decreased the amount of travel people did on a daily basis.  So influencing the population is a huge purpose of these types of acts.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, gman said:

The Swamp Rabbit Trail closed in the city. Don't understand that one. This means the rest of the trail will be packed. 

The county needs to step up and shut it down. But, people will still be out exercising on the street instead -- just in a more spread out fashion, which is the point. 

It is my understanding that this is not the popular shelter in place order the other states have. So we are still one of 8 states without it. The order states that a business can pnly have 5 people per 1,000 square feet. So if Lowes has 100,000 square feet they can only have 500 people in the store at one time. Makes sense to me. :rofl::dontknow:Some Walmarts are over 200,000 sf. 

13 hours ago, apaladin said:

It is my understanding that this is not the popular shelter in place order the other states have. So we are still one of 8 states without it. The order states that a business can pnly have 5 people per 1,000 square feet. So if Lowes has 100,000 square feet they can only have 500 people in the store at one time. Makes sense to me. :rofl::dontknow:Some Walmarts are over 200,000 sf. 

The number of customers in a business would be dependent on the number of associates working.  If a 50,000-square foot business has 40 associates working, up to 210 customers could shop.

23 minutes ago, Greenville Paladin said:

The number of customers in a business would be dependent on the number of associates working.  If a 50,000-square foot business has 40 associates working, up to 210 customers could shop.

Well, and at a place like home improvement stores, a good percentage of that floor space is taken up by inventory. So, the number is actually quite a bit lower. The occupancy number would be based on floor space that people can actually occupy. Folks aren't going to be in the freezers at Costco, or on top of the plywood stacks at Lowes. 

Both of these articles give you a look into how business has changed in this past month. It makes me feel happy, sad, and proud of our community and how people are dealing with this. 

https://greenvillejournal.com/eat-drink/the-commons-greenville-sc-collaboration-innovation-forge-new-ways-customers/

https://greenvillejournal.com/arts-culture/upstate-beat-smileys-hires-musicians-as-singing-delivery-people-for-food-delivery/

On 4/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, GvilleSC said:

Well, and at a place like home improvement stores, a good percentage of that floor space is taken up by inventory. So, the number is actually quite a bit lower. The occupancy number would be based on floor space that people can actually occupy. Folks aren't going to be in the freezers at Costco, or on top of the plywood stacks at Lowes. 

You would be incorrect.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, gman said:

I agree.  There will be future discussions on what businesses are actually essential and what other businesses are nonessential.