The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

7 hours ago, btoy said:

The price actually went negative today.

I didn't realize that was actually possible! 

9 hours ago, gman said:

Barrel of oil under $5.00. Anyone seen gas at under $1.00? 

I've been buying for 1.25 for a few weeks. That's the lowest since 1.25 in late 2008 for me. Lowest I've ever seen in my life was .67 in Spring of 98 or 99. 

6 hours ago, apaladin said:

These are crazy times for sure. Many more people have been hurt by the virus vs. those who actually have/had it.

Just think about had bad it would have been without the social distancing. We need more testing to get things going again. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, apaladin said:

These are crazy times for sure. Many more people have been hurt by the virus vs. those who actually have/had it.

Its just terrible that people are dying and particularly how their last moments have to be spent isolated from human touch.  I know someone that lost their father.  Glad mine is still around even though he's high risk due to his age and having COPD.   I am grateful for the measures that have been taken and the people that are taking them as they may be contributing to me getting to spend more time with him.  I am not sure what inspires people to devalue human life in times like these.  The worse things get, the more I realize time with my dad, my wife, and my kids is more valuable than anything else.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Its just terrible that people are dying and particularly how their last moments have to be spent isolated from human touch.  I know someone that lost their father.  Glad mine is still around even though he's high risk due to his age and having COPD.   I am grateful for the measures that have been taken and the people that are taking them as they may be contributing to me getting to spend more time with him.  I am not sure what inspires people to devalue human life in times like these.  The worse things get, the more I realize time with my dad, my wife, and my kids is more valuable than anything else.

Glad your father has remained safe! Times like this definitely put things into perspective and reminds us of what is truly important. 

• Like 1

Just returned from Lowe's (Woodruff Rd) ....estimate 50 % customers without masks.   Was puzzled with some  older ones  (60+) not wearing any protection. Most everyone was observing social distancing.

My good friend's  personal Doctor in Spartanburg just recovered from the virus. She advised him (friend) that she became very ill &  the virus is wicked. She sequestered at home 2 weeks...came close to going to hospital . She warned him the virus would kill him...advised to be very careful  in public since he had bypass surgery several years ago and has early stage COPD. Be careful out there if you have current or history for serious health situations...pray this will diminish  soon and life can  return to some normalcy. 

On 4/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, gman said:

Actually not worse but said it will be more difficult to differ from the flu because could have both at the same time come flu season IF the virus comes back. The Washingtin Post sensationalized this with their headline. Imagine that.  The CDC director has said he was quoted correctly but it was taken out of context. 

Edited by apaladin

On 4/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, gvegascple said:

We just experienced that this week. My father-in-law passed away alone in a nursing home on Saturday. We were told if time was near they would call us and let us see him. Unfortunately it happened too quickly. His wife had just been admitted to the same nursing from the hospital a few days eralier. She had to be quarantined for 14 days before they could see each other. She was in the room next to him when he passed. To make it worse it was in a county where they currently have no cases. Very sad. 

Edited by apaladin

5 hours ago, apaladin said:

Actually not worse but said it will be more difficult to differ from the flu because could have both at the same time come flu season IF the virus comes back. The Washingtin Post sensationalized this with their headline. Imagine that.  The CDC director has said he was quoted correctly but it was taken out of context. 

More difficult seems worse to me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

The killer hornets are in the country now, close everything down. Stay inside. I am so scared.

This is a poor analogy.   A rough equivalent is killer hornets that attach to the undercarriage of vehicles to travel down every Interstate and major highway and build silent nests in the tops of trees.    Much later, attracted by crowds, they swarm and attack all at once.

A better observation is to ask the question: why, if Greenville County receives an F rating for statistical social distancing, hasn't there been a serious outbreak?  Clearly it's in the community already.

16 hours ago, bikeoid said:

A better observation is to ask the question: why, if Greenville County receives an F rating for statistical social distancing, hasn't there been a serious outbreak?  Clearly it's in the community already.

Good question, but we can't let thngs like this get in the way of hysteria. 

19 hours ago, apaladin said:

Good question, but we can't let thngs like this get in the way of hysteria. 

I haven't seen any hysteria, outside of the meat and toilet paper aisles at the grocery store.   The concept behind stay-at-home is working here in Greenville, based on the reported hospital load.   This has positioned our area in an advantage moving forward: 
  1.  First responders and hospitals had a chance to stock up on PPE and prepare their patient handling procedures.
  2.  Treatments become available such as remdesvir to improve the chances for the critically ill.   Already there are promising developments for treatments that activate the proper immune response from the body and could be given earlier.  They do have to pass review yet to ensure they are effective and safe.

So if "Blue lives matter", the shutdown has been well worth it so far - keep in mind that NYPD alone has already lost more than 35 officers to the virus.

The future is unknown, and only time will tell if the reopening plans will work as we hope.

• Thanks 1

Just wondering why stores like Barnes and Noble and Yankee Candle remain closed? B&N is popular but has plenty of room for social distancing. Never been to YC when there is more than one or 2 other people in the store.. Has the government made it too easy for these stores to keep their doors closed?

15 hours ago, apaladin said:

Just wondering why stores like Barnes and Noble and Yankee Candle remain closed? B&N is popular but has plenty of room for social distancing. Never been to YC when there is more than one or 2 other people in the store.. Has the government made it too easy for these stores to keep their doors closed?

Because a lot of touching and handling the merchandise happens at stores like that. I ordered a book from B&N and picked it up outside the door and ordered one online. I don’t want to go into those stores right now, especially with the number of cases and deaths going up. I suspect most folks that normally go to a bookstore will fill the same way. This might be the end of B&N stores. I hope not. Love that store. My bookshelves prove it. Maybe I could open up my own bookstore! By the way, I visited the WalMart neighborhood store and the Publix near Furman yesterday. I noticed that 90% of shoppers had a mask on. It was good to see people thinking of others. A lot of good is coming out of this. God is telling us to slow down, think more of others than ourselves, and to stop worshiping the almighty dollar. I thank Him for helping me to stop taking the little things for granted, for patience, for family and friends, and for putting life in the proper perspective. Sadly, a lot of death and suffering has taken place for those lessons to reach us. Praying for all mankind. 

• Like 4