The Greenville coronavirus thread

gman430

Could be the end of the world. Of course there have been many other pandemics and civilization survived. How did they do that? The Asian flu lasted 2 years from 1968 to 1970 and killed over one million people. It is still seasonal today. There were no shut downs, no masks, no panic, no mass hysteria. Woodstock took place in the middle of the pandemic in 1969. People survived. The difference is back then the news covered it but they reported on other important topics such as Viet Nam , the moon landing etc. Today there is only one story, 24/7. I refuse to live in fear but to each his own. 

39 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Could be the end of the world. Of course there have been many other pandemics and civilization survived. How did they do that? The Asian flu lasted 2 years from 1968 to 1970 and killed over one million people. It is still seasonal today. There were no shut downs, no masks, no panic, no mass hysteria. Woodstock took place in the middle of the pandemic in 1969. People survived. The difference is back then the news covered it but they reported on other important topics such as Viet Nam , the moon landing etc. Today there is only one story, 24/7. I refuse to live in fear but to each his own. 

“To each his own.” Exactly. Thank you. 

The Asian flu lasted 2 years from 1968 to 1970 and killed over one million people. 

Worldwide deaths from the Hong Kong  Flu were one million. The number of deaths in the US between September 1968 and March 1969 was 33,800. 

In a little over four months we are 275,000 deaths worldwide, of which 78,000 are in the US.  It is quite possible that worldwide deaths could hit 1 million in ONE year, with the US being the biggest part of that.

Sweden did not lockdown and they have suffered more deaths than their neighbors and have NOT been spared economically either.           

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Sweden did not lockdown and they have suffered more deaths than their neighbors and have NOT been spared economically either.           

Granted, it will be interesting to see if Sweden has herd immunity as a result, and benefits from it.

The world is a vastly different place compared to 1970, and much more connected (media-wise, and human movement).  At some level this has to be taken seriously. One can disagree with the media's agenda (we can all be honest that there is always one of some angle), but it's still a real story and it has an ugly reality. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the latest figures the U.S. has over 28% of the worlds cases with less than 5% of the world population. Why? Did this country fail miserably? Is the US testing way more proportionately than other countries? Is it tme to star questioning the reporting? For example New Zealand has not had a new case in 3 weeks and did not shutdown. Seems like all other countries numbers are coming way down but not the U.S.

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

According to the latest figures the U.S. has over 28% of the worlds cases with less than 5% of the world population. Why? Did this country fail miserably? Is the US testing way more proportionately than other countries? Is it tme to star questioning the reporting? For example New Zealand has not had a new case in 3 weeks and did not shutdown. Seems like all other countries numbers are coming way down but not the U.S.

Well, have you been out and about lately? It’s the wild, wild West. No social distancing. Mo masks. Like Gov. McMaster said, there is a lot of stupid going on out there.  I do the question the reporting. It’s being undercounted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, apaladin said:

For example New Zealand has not had a new case in 3 weeks and did not shutdown. Seems like all other countries numbers are coming way down but not the U.S.

New Zealand was quick to act, quick to shut down travel and did their own early shutdown.  After they confirmed it was under control, they're able to completely reopen except for unrestricted travel between countries.

9 hours ago, apaladin said:

Yes this country failed miserably. We already know this.

We have no overall strategy to slowing the spread and each state and city are being left to their own devices to determine best path forward.  Fall in America is going to be LIT

10 hours ago, gman said:

Well, have you been out and about lately? It’s the wild, wild West. No social distancing. Mo masks. Like Gov. McMaster said, there is a lot of stupid going on out there.  I do the question the reporting. It’s being undercounted. 

Under reporting makes no sense. The more you report the more $ you get. Now over reporting makes sense. Maybe the U.S. numbers are high because we are the only country that pays for reporting cases?

Edited by apaladin

5 hours ago, apaladin said:

Under reporting makes no sense. The more you report the more $ you get. Now over reporting makes sense. Maybe the U.S. numbers are high because we are the only country that pays for reporting cases?

Seriously, you are grasping for any reason to deny this virus is deadly, and that it is getting worse. 

• Like 2

SCDHEC.org has all the daily figures.  Number of tests, number of infected.  The worrying number is the percent infected.  Its 14% and rising.  And Greenville County is the hotspot in SC.

NZ is back to no restrictions.  They had rugby back on this weekend with full stadiums.  NZ enacted stay at home very quickly and are seeing the success of that now.  Next phase will be opening up travel between NZ and Australia.  At this rate in the US other areas of the world will open back up and they will not allow travel to anyone from the US.

2 hours ago, Danmire said:

SCDHEC.org has all the daily figures.  Number of tests, number of infected.  The worrying number is the percent infected.  Its 14% and rising.  And Greenville County is the hotspot in SC.

NZ is back to no restrictions.  They had rugby back on this weekend with full stadiums.  NZ enacted stay at home very quickly and are seeing the success of that now.  Next phase will be opening up travel between NZ and Australia.  At this rate in the US other areas of the world will open back up and they will not allow travel to anyone from the US.

I checked virus data (as of 12 June) on scdhec site....infections are increasing for sure. What caught my eye was only 15% of infected required hospitalization, 78% have recovered, & 67% deaths are age 70+. There was only 1 death in sc yesterday for a total of 600 out of 18,795 cases. Of the 7,023 inpatient hospital beds...521 are occupied by covid related patients.  I know the virus is serious (I wear a mask constantly).... I'm not firmly convinced it's now becoming catastrophic  in SC. 

Edited by cabelagent

18 hours ago, apaladin said:

At this point the only thing to do is do the best we can. Another shutdown cannot happen. I heard on the news tomigh 3 million small businesses have gone under. 

A shutdown was never sustainable anyways, especially after we have begun to understand the virus and how long it will stay around.  It was important to enact for a couple weeks to help understand where we stood and to ensure hospitals didn't overload, but that's all we really needed.

There are many other things the government could do that would drastically reduce the spread without shutting anything down. Unfortunately they don't seem to be interested in telling people what to do in order to prevent a public health crisis. 

Edited by NewlyUpstate

3 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

A shutdown was never sustainable anyways, especially after we have begun to understand the virus and how long it will stay around.  It was important to enact for a couple weeks to help understand where we stood and to ensure hospitals didn't overload, but that's all we really needed.

There are many other things the government could do that would drastically reduce the spread without shutting anything down. Unfortunately they don't seem to be interested in telling people what to do in order to prevent a public health crisis. 

Curious....what “many” other things?  

Isn't Mayor White's ordinace that you have to wear a face mask in grocery and drug stores in the city limits knida silly. How many grocery and drug storrs are in the city limits? Off the top of my head I can only think of the Publix and CVS downtown. Any others? Maybe the Walgreens, CVS and Bilo on E. North? I know the Publix on Pelham is not in the city as stange as that seems.

12 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Isn't Mayor White's ordinace that you have to wear a face mask in grocery and drug stores in the city limits knida silly. How many grocery and drug storrs are in the city limits? Off the top of my head I can only think of the Publix and CVS downtown. Any others? Maybe the Walgreens, CVS and Bilo on E. North? I know the Publix on Pelham is not in the city as stange as that seems.

Here's a list of the stores within city limits 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HbgFgNuJbyPHKfkVOBycy5B3fu3cK1FJ&hl=en&ll=34.847998501342985%2C-82.359175&z=12

1 hour ago, bikeoid said:

It looks like the Publix on Pelham is in the city limits. 

There's stores in the city on Laurens Road, Verdae, McAlister Sq, Augusta Street, Woodruff Rd... It's more than you think.

It would be MUCH more effective if the two worked together to develop rules and announce them in cooperation. The County can't get out of its own way on anything, so the city just has to go it alone. 

2 hours ago, apaladin said:

A bunch of them. Harris Teeter on Augusta,  Fresh Market and Publix on Pleasantburg and Pelham.  More drugstores around too than just your typical CVS and Walgreens locations.

Edited by vistatiger

5 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

A bunch of them. Harris Teeter on Augusta,  Fresh Market and Publix on Pleasantburg and Pelham.  More drugstores around too than just your typical CVS and Walgreens locations.

Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods Market also.

North Carolina just enacted mandatory masks in public places.  I've always thought this was inevitable and hopefully the county/state start taking notice.  Masks in crowded and indoor spaces should be the new normal until the vaccine is readily available.  Once you get used to it it's really not that bad.  Its not as easy to communicate but you get used to it, I've been wearing one full time at work since my work told me to stop working from home 100% in early May (I wonder if they will lax those rules though with the numerous new cases at work)

As I post this I went and looked at the new IHME projections where they just added what would happen if we added mandatory masks. It would essentially rapidly kill the virus spread within 2-4 weeks. I really don't know why we aren't doing something so simple.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/south-carolina

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1