Downtown Raleigh South Entertainment District

RALNATIVE

Since this is a part of town that needs investment and is in a Federal Opportunity Zone the city council should lift ALL height restrictions and let Kane build however high the market will allow.  He should not even need to ask for 40 story height in my opinion.  With the Dominion NCAE project and this one this could double or triple the size of downtown Raleigh and with a metro growing like it is this is needed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Since this is a part of town that needs investment and is in a Federal Opportunity Zone the city council should lift ALL height restrictions and let Kane build however high the market will allow.  He should not even need to ask for 40 story height in my opinion.  With the Dominion NCAE project and this one this could double or triple the size of downtown Raleigh and with a metro growing like it is this is needed.  

I disagree. South, Southeast, and East Raleigh have been three of the areas most concerned about gentrification, and while Kane has a knack for delivering, and delivering well, the thought of a potential North Hills-style development is going to rankle a lot of folks in this area. From an optics perspective, its ironic that this and the NCAE blocks are getting so much attention when right next door is Shaw which can barely afford to stay open. It speaks a lot to the potential tightrope Kane is going to have to walk with a project like this. 

Don't get me wrong, I think even 10% of this project being delivered would be incredible for this area, but it needs to be thoughtful. My only hope is that Kane and the City make a concerted effort to work with these communities to bring a project that enhances these areas, rather than pushed people out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Raleigh's UDO allows construction over 40-stories.  The city council just de-coupled the maximum height restriction that was tied to the number of stories earlier this year.  Previously a 40-story building could go no higher than 500 feet (which limited the floor-to-floor heights), now a 40-story can be taller in feet.

On 3/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, The Steel Guy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Raleigh's UDO allows construction over 40-stories.  The city council just de-coupled the maximum height restriction that was tied to the number of stories earlier this year.  Previously a 40-story building could go no higher than 500 feet (which limited the floor-to-floor heights), now a 40-story can be taller in feet.

I'm thinking their comment was that it woulda been nice if the site had already been zoned up to 40 floors by the City (instead of IX-3).  My guess is he submits for a 'PD' zoning for the whole area with guidelines for various parcels within the district.  (Like the Park City South area and North Hills).  City has been slow uploading the rezoning application to their development site - so the details are unknown.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is such as great looking building the new timber office building. 

Downtown-South-Mixed-Use-Mass-Timber-Office-Street-Level-View.jpg

First in Raleigh plus I think Kane may have another timber building planned in downtown Raleigh has a second phase of this current project by the RUS, I think Durham is also getting one at ATC as well. Doesn't Charlotte have one, I don't recall. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, carolina1792 said:

First in Raleigh, I think Durham is also getting one at ATC as well. Doesn't Charlotte have one, I don't recall. 

Yes one coming to ATC in Durham by Hines but none in Charlotte yet.  I was told by an architect that only NC recently allowed in their building codes.  

• Like 3

There's some interesting property sells and movement going on atm in this area. I expect a huge amount of development announcements in about 5 to 10 years. Caraleigh and Fuller Heights neighborhoods will probably no longer exist as single family home areas as Downtown South advances and other developers make their move in the area. It's going to be interesting to see how this area develops in a couple of decades.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

There's some interesting property sells and movement going on atm in this area. I expect a huge amount of development announcements in about 5 to 10 years. Caraleigh and Fuller Heights neighborhoods will probably no longer exist as single family home areas as Downtown South advances and other developers make their move in the area. It's going to be interesting to see how this area develops in a couple of decades.  

I've always felt that that area south of downtown was ripe for re-development and knew it was only a matter of time. The location near the Interstate is key to helping with traffic and visibility. Having a huge new MLB or NFL stadium in that location would be perfect, but i'll be happy with the soccer stadium. Just hoping that the Red Roof Inn will go, but I believe that is part of Kane's new development.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...