Downtown Greenville Location

motonenterprises

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

It was demolished to widen the street as part of the Pete Hollis Blvd 'project'.  Total waste of money that did not bring any of the promised benefits.  The McDonald's footprint  was already in place before those buildings were torn down.     

Something better will show up.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, ausrutherford said:

Unfortunately a lot of damage even without interstates:

There used a be a small downtown-like area around the intersection of Rutherford/Buncombe...

1f24847e72c9a8356ca4a49547e1d554.jpg

Forever destroyed by SCDOT...

I had semi-forgotten about that building. I knew there was a second "flatiron" building in or near downtown (the other being Legal Services), but I couldn't remember where. Now I know the cause of my memory issues. According to Google Earth's historical imagery, it was gone by 2005. I last lived in Greenville in 1997.

When was it torn down?

Edited by Exile
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, Exile said:

I had semi-forgotten about that building. I knew there was a second "flatiron" building in or near downtown (the other being Legal Services), but I couldn't remember where. Now I know the cause of my memory issues. According to Google Earth's historical imagery, it was gone by 2005. I last lived in Greenville in 1997.

When was it torn down?

When they widened Pete Hollis, so early 2000s I think. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

What a mistake that was -- both the road and the demolition. 

Yep.  It brought none of the economic development that was promised and it will take more money to remediate the 'highway' effect in order for the growth to occur that is actually achievable.

• Like 3