110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

8 hours ago, jthomas said:

Here's another idea for a solution. What if the TOD zoning district mandated a minimum floor-to-floor height for all structured parking? This minimum would be set at a height (say, +/- 14 feet) that would facilitate adaptive reuse of the parking structure. This would incentivize building owners to reduce the number of people who drive to their buildings, because as parking demand fell, they could convert parking levels to leaseable space.

There are a few buildings in other places that have incorporated this concept - Google the 84.51 Center in Cincinnati for an example.

This right here. It's the first step of incremental monumental change. 

7 hours ago, kermit said:

Dunno, that should be a community discussion.  Personally I would suggest 1/2 mile from stations (coincidentally this is the distance from the station to my office). Using the TOD zones that the city already designated (which I believe are 1/4 mile) would also make sense.  Fundamentally we need to recognize that its impossible to build walkability without making it harder to drive through or to those areas.

Part of the thinking in the new Charlotte 2040 Comprehensive Plan is 10min neighborhoods, everything is within 15 min via your chosen transportation mode, and as the city evolves that starts to change from 15 min in a Car to 15 min on a bike or on transit.

7 hours ago, kermit said:

I will say that (based on the renderings) the ground floor structure, with the roof overhang, will be a significant benefit to folks waiting for Northbound trains.

Until the 'security folks' of that building shoo the folks off for 'loitering on private property'

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, CLT> said:

Part of the thinking in the new Charlotte 2040 Comprehensive Plan is 10min neighborhoods, everything is within 15 min via your chosen transportation mode, and as the city evolves that starts to change from 15 min in a Car to 15 min on a bike or on transit.

Until the 'security folks' of that building shoo the folks off for 'loitering on private property'

I think this goes back to what @kermit said. What will we do with all this space that is created for cars when the garages aren't full anymore. The comprehensive plan isn't due to go into effect until the end of 2021. Many more buildings with floors of parking garages will most likely go up by the time anything can make an impact. 

• Like 1

Put in foundations sufficient to add several additional office floors in the future, and provide for a future additional elevator or two.  As the demand for parking spaces per square foot of office space declines, you'll still have enough parking to satisfy the demand, even with additional office floors.

A few office floors on top would be much more attractive to tenants than office space lower in the structure in former garage space.

Thanks RDF, I've been saying for years Camden needs to be a pedestrian / stroll district.  replace the asphalt with bricks/pavers, electronic bollards at street crossings to allow vendors / some deliveries.  Make it a street market in the spring and fall etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

I think this goes back to what @kermit said. What will we do with all this space that is created for cars when the garages aren't full anymore. The comprehensive plan isn't due to go into effect until the end of 2021. Many more buildings with floors of parking garages will most likely go up by the time anything can make an impact. 

I mean, New York/sf/Chicago, garages are all full and you pay 1000s a month for a spot. I am sure if we get rid of parking requirements parking  will still be Needed and in demand. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sigma said:

Thanks RDF, I've been saying for years Camden needs to be a pedestrian / stroll district.  replace the asphalt with bricks/pavers, electronic bollards at street crossings to allow vendors / some deliveries.  Make it a street market in the spring and fall etc.

Sadly, the current CDOT policies are not at all conducive to this. Right now if you want a shared surface type of street a developer is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of any surface that's not asphalt, they won't touch it. Also the new TOD zoning is very strict about actual curbs, gutters and tree pits. Needs to be some work convincing CDOT that this is the future, and as slow as city government sometimes moves we need to start yesterday. But there should definitely be an opportunity to include shared surface streets in the new UDO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I am glad this project seems to still be alive. I was worried it would be shelved due to.....current events

it is shelved... as far as I know. Core sampling has me confused.

1 hour ago, JHart said:

A lot of projects that initiated design will finish that portion since most of the money has already been allocated/paid, it wouldn't surprise me if the preliminary sitework was already scheduled. Cheaper to finish the design and have a budget ready for when capital becomes available than restart the design phase again.

thats kinda what I was thinking. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Hmm US Bank as I was told they are absolutely NOT going into BofA Plaza unless that was a diversion tactic.  They leaves them floating out there but I still think  they will stay uptown.  Maybe a Moodys or even a Better Mortgage which is growing rapidly.    Shorenstein does have DEEP pockets so they could go spec. 

lol, I told you that because I wasn't told not to share it. In fact the person who told me unequivocally is likely reading this thread.

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe a Moodys or even a Better Mortgage which is growing rapidly.    Shorenstein does have DEEP pockets so they could go spec. 

If you think about it, once there is a vaccine the rapid growth will continue. And if they time it right, this will finish construction just as normalcy returns and the demand for new office space begins to skyrocket again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nick2 said:

If you think about it, once there is a vaccine the rapid growth will continue. And if they time it right, this will finish construction just as normalcy returns and the demand for new office space begins to skyrocket again.

You know I was thinking about that last part of what you said before reading this and I do believe that if there is a sudden answer and vaccine for the coronavirus that things will get kicked into overdrive and place like Charlotte will bounce back stronger than ever. 

• Thanks 2