110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

I shopped there when it was still A&P and it was a fright. The brown linoleum, or was it really brown or rather decades of ground dirt, scuffs, spills  and inadequate cleaning, was not improved by the poor lighting with ancient fluorescent fixtures far above the shelves. Tired butchers, dim aisles, an outdated experience in every way. Even to my low standards as a young single man I went out of my way to avoid it after my first two visits. It was close enough for me to walk to but the convenience was offset by the feeling I was in a former communist grocery masquerading as an Amerikanski style store. I have not been in the building since that time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

I know we're really off topic, but I wonder if a developer would buy the whole block as opposed to just that land the building is on. They could mirror what they're doing with Artisan Station with a historic building, office tower and apartments

Screenshot 2022-02-17 091239.jpg

I would not be surprised if that IS what happens. Or atleast most of the block. 

5 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

I know we're really off topic, but I wonder if a developer would buy the whole block as opposed to just that land the building is on. They could mirror what they're doing with Artisan Station with a historic building, office tower and apartments

Screenshot 2022-02-17 091239.jpg

Is it possible, sure. Would it happen? probably not. Push comes to shove you'd likely have to find homes for the Urgent Care and Office Depot within your building as they have longterm leases. Theres also 4 different owners on that block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Is it possible, sure. Would it happen? probably not. Push comes to shove you'd likely have to find homes for the Urgent Care and Office Depot within your building as they have longterm leases. Theres also 4 different owners on that block.

I'm guessing this has been discussed before in one of these threads, but is there a chance that a pedestrian bridge gets built over the train tracks at the end of East Kingston?  Has that ever been formally contemplated?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

I'm guessing this has been discussed before in one of these threads, but is there a chance that a pedestrian bridge gets built over the train tracks at the end of East Kingston?  Has that ever been formally contemplated?  

Would a normal pedestrian crossing not work?

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 3:24 PM, RANYC said:

To save one block in each direction? 

20 minutes ago, wilmore said:

To save one block in each direction? 

Yes, to partially restore the grid but for pedestrians.  but i wasn't looking to argue the merits of it, just asking if it's been discussed/contemplated.  sounds like your answer is no or idk.  Thanks for responding!:tw_innocent:

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Yes, to partially restore the grid but for pedestrians.  but i wasn't looking to argue the merits of it, just asking if it's been discussed/contemplated.  sounds like your answer is no or idk.  Thanks for responding!:tw_innocent:

I would bet its not been contemplated, largely due to the geometry of it. As wilmore mentioned its not far to the nearest crossings and there would need to be so many stairs / ramps to get over the wire that a bridge would probably not save any steps.

A level crossing could work, and its certainly feasible to include pedestrian crossing gates, but I don't think anyone is agitating for it -- particularly when we are still working on a ped crossing at Publix and Sycamore.

19 hours ago, kermit said:

I would bet its not been contemplated, largely due to the geometry of it. As wilmore mentioned its not far to the nearest crossings and there would need to be so many stairs / ramps to get over the wire that a bridge would probably not save any steps.

A level crossing could work, and its certainly feasible to include pedestrian crossing gates, but I don't think anyone is agitating for it -- particularly when we are still working on a ped crossing at Publix and Sycamore.

Anyone know how that publix station is going? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Anyone know how that publix station is going? 

Judging from the lack of knowledge at UP about it I would guess it has been sucked into the cosmic black hole of CATS public relations.

Last I heard it was 'in design'. I'll try to schedule some drinks shortly with a buddy of mine who should know something.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ it was nice out so drinks happened fast. Word from people who work at CATS is that they are currently working on the EIS for the station simultaneously with getting the structure to  30% design. Sounds like both should  be complete by Summer. My buddy thought construction would be complete in two years (he is not a construction guy, so interpret this part cautiously ) — expect station opening around summer 2024 (ish) per current CATS (non-official) perspective. 

So once construction starts, there will be a temp crossing right? I think thats what the original plans said.

4 hours ago, JBS said:

Seriously, do you ever take a bad picture? Every shot could be a postcard. 

Yes, every shot could be a postcard . . . until 110 East gets built.  Then as long as he crops out 110 East, it could still be a postcard.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3