110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The building is 90 years old, so you gotta respect that.

The two story building isn’t going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Shorenstein has  deep deep pockets out of San Francisco and they just bought a building up in the university area as well.  

That explains why Tupelo Honey is moving uptown it is not an additional restaurant it will be their new and only location in the market. 

This post about Tupelo is inaccurate. That location was signed long before this property went into contract. Tupelo will operate both locations in Charlotte. 

• Thanks 1

This post about Tupelo is inaccurate. That location was signed long before this property went into contract. Tupelo will operate both locations in Charlotte. 

Per CBJ: developer is mulling 2 towers with uses up to 1m sq feet. That doesn’t happen without Tupelo Honey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the project is indeed a 2 phase project yes the for time being the building where Tupelo Honey will stay open but not sure where they will park and I would have to see a site plan for this first phase.   It is my understanding that the building Tupelo is in was modified greatly with that upper walkway/balcony so I am not sure how much of the historical integrity it still has but if they can incorporate into their greater project so be it.  The old Sunset Club was a tenant when the Pewter Rose was was there I remember when it open in the then burgeoning new area called South End. 

• Like 4

On a totally side note (but somewhat relevant one). I pray the Fed prints money like mad (which I’m totally opposed to) at least until this project is underway. I really, REALLY want to see this happen. And I certainly don’t want the recession bug to bite when the QC is on the cusp of greatness with this. I just don’t want to be waiting for the next cycle. Let’s get a shovel in the ground now! 

Mama said patience is a virtue, but virtues be damned on this puppy. Let’s put the giddy up on this stat!

A2

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Church?   I sure hope not as that is a historic church from 1910 the old Chalmers Reformed Church. 

I’m with you. Save the Church! Too nice not to. Architects and engineers unite, and figure this thing out! 

Heck let’s do some kind of cantilever structure like the Citicorp tower in NYC that spared the church.

Minds must unite and build her right!!!

it can be done!

A2

6562C6B0-915C-4CEE-A0A3-069DE12474E8.jpeg

Edited by A2.
  • Like 4

Just now, A2. said:

I’m with you. Save the Church! To nice not to. Architects and engineers unite, and figure this thing out! 

Heck let’s do some kind of cantilever structure like the Citicorp tower in NYC that soared the church.

Minds must unite and build her right!!!

A2

I am still mad over the lost of the Coddington Polk building and not over there and that is the reason I can't even bring myself to photo that spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Let’s hope that the additional phases are quite appreciable in height as this is the LAST land zoned UMUD in all of SE. I would truly be upset if this purchase was wasted on some lackluster 20 story stucco tower.
This is the Last opportunity to build a signature SE tower that would make a monumental statement on the southern skyline. Think of the prestige of having your HQ on the tallest in SE. Would  be awesome recruiting tool to house a new firm or even an existing firm in the QC seeking additional office within the booming SE area.
It would stand out and be a serious eye catcher. The best part is no one would be able to lay claim on another tower that would eclipse it. 
Probably why they paid twice the money. It was a pretty savvy investment move considering the opportunity that will exist either in this cycle or the next.
If they have the deep pockets that people say, I would honestly build this as a super spec tower. It would be filled before the first floor was poured! 
Build it and they will come! 

A2

I agree that this is an opportunity it’s to set a new standard, and this is the location to build tall. Unfortunately, developers and their capital partners have not gotten comfortable with either of the two things that make taller buildings in uptown work, namely (1) 100% pay to park and (2) a plus or minus one per thousand square feet parking ratio.

At ratios that developers are currently comfortable with they would have to build 2,500 to 3,000 spaces in a deck to do a 50 story building with 20k sf plates. A deck like that doesn’t make any sense.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. Is that something that could conceivably happen? I don’t pretend to know how that process would work. But that said, SE is the perfect corridor to extend the height. 

Camp Northend on the other side of Uptown rezoned to UMUD(O) in the last year or two. So it can be done. The new UDO will set new height parameters.

The Church?   I sure hope not as that is a historic church from 1910 the old Chalmers Reformed Church. 

Rumor has it that the Church tried to hold up the sale and extort parking from the developer. Greedy pricks!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oleanderiris said:

I agree that this is an opportunity it’s to set a new standard, and this is the location to build tall. Unfortunately, developers and their capital partners have not gotten comfortable with either of the two things that make taller buildings in uptown work, namely (1) 100% pay to park and (2) a plus or minus one per thousand square feet parking ratio.

At ratios that developers are currently comfortable with they would have to build 2,500 to 3,000 spaces in a deck to do a 50 story building with 20k sf plates. A deck like that doesn’t make any sense.

Question. Could they not incorporate parking into the structure like the Hearst (em, I mean Truist) Tower to make it financially feasible to build higher? I’m naive on this front as my specialty is capital markets and not development. That said, I really would like to see some way to make something special happen here.

A2

Question. Could they not incorporate parking into the structure like the Hearst (em, I mean Truist) Tower to make it financially feasible to build higher? I’m naive on this front as my specialty is capital markets and not development. That said, I really would like to see some way to make something special happen here.
A2

Going underground makes the spaces cost somewhere between 1.5x and 2x the cost of above ground. But to my point, the Hearst tower is 970,000 sf and has 1,400 spaces. The parking ratio is dramatically less than what people think they have to build in South End.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dnlleffingwell said:

I am sure it isn't JP Morgan. Most of the jobs will go to Texas, Ohio and Florida.  Some jobs will come to Charlotte. I hope it is enough for a tower!!!

I hope that would be the case.   Is this pure speculation on your  part or you have a hint this may happen asking for a friend. 

• Like 1

well there quite a history in Charlotte being cooperative about the parking for example 525 N Tryon 19 story tower was built they provided parking for the United Methodist Church next door and 400 N Tryon aka Transamerica Square does the same with St Peters.   Not too much parking needed on a Sunday morning at any office tower.  

I hear they demanded access to over 150 spaces in a deck 7 days a week for free. I’m sure that wasn’t agreed to. But the people at that church deserve whatever demise comes to them. The sanctuary building is fantastic but the people running that place are crooks!

10 minutes ago, Oleanderiris said:

Going underground makes the spaces cost somewhere between 1.5x and 2x the cost of above ground. But to my point, the Hearst tower is 970,000 sf and has 1,400 spaces. The parking ratio is dramatically less than what people think they have to build in South End.

Ok, ok, I’m hearing ya’. But let’s think this thing through. Lets Vanilla Ice this puppy, “yo if there’s a problem, I’ll solve it” kind of dilly. Is there anyway a public/private partnership could come together and build a deck that would create revenue for the city and the opportunity of higher tax receipts as well from a higher density project?

Think of the possibilities guys. There has to be a way to make this thing work financially.  

PS—-you know I have to :tw_lol:

A2

7 minutes ago, Oleanderiris said:

I hear they demanded access to over 150 spaces in a deck 7 days a week for free. I’m sure that wasn’t agreed to. But the people at that church deserve whatever demise comes to them. The sanctuary building is fantastic but the people running that place are crooks!

Jesus wasn’t too kind with the money changers. I’m just sayin’ :ph34r:

Edited by A2.
  • Haha 1

speaking of this new tower, when can we expect to see a rendering of some sort.  Obviously they know the size and number of floors for it so the architect must have an idea.  Plus you will need that to market it even if it is  tweaked. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3