110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The retail tenant they land will make or break this,,,, hopefully we don't end up with a Chase Bank retail branch. 

So true. With the right tenant, this could be amazing and add a pulse to SouthEnd and make it even more of a bustle district or it could be bland and sterile and a gal between the various hot spots. 

Whereas I’ve been a grouch on uptown and Debbie downer, I am opposite bullish on SouthEnd. I think this will pull in a good tenant and I predict SouthEnd will easily attract more and more retail & hospitality and become even more vibrant. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TCLT said:

Hopefully it’s not just one tenant. Seems like a waste to just have one giant restaurant or a single retailer smashed up against what’s likely to become one of the busiest O/D stations. A few quick grab and go options, including a 7/11 type convenience store, adjacent to the station would be nice.

I agree with this, especially with having at least one of the options be a convenience or drug store rather than just food. Those types of stores have an important place in making neighborhoods livable on walking/transit alone.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

I agree with this, especially with having at least one of the options be a convenience or drug store rather than just food. Those types of stores have an important place in making neighborhoods livable on walking/transit alone.

Walgreens will be directly across the street in a more urban format than today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Long time Observer business columnist Doug Smith grew up in Wilmore. He wrote a recurring column revisiting this one from 1993 where he tried to buy a Snickers bar in Up(Down)town Charlotte. Perhaps it is time to revisit the issue. Not that South end is dead but that common items may be difficult to obtain. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article9096764.html

What would be the Snickers bar of today?

Here is a more recent interview of Doug from Ledger:

https://cltledger.com/doug-smith-interview/

• Like 3