110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

Could the City of Charlotte not require that all parking be buried or would that kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?

They could just get rid of parking minimums from what I’ve heard said around and generally incentivize less is more.
Pretty sure this podium will serve a future high rise residential tower as well facing South Blvd. Better than having two parking decks.

Yeah, I mean parking decks well wrapped aren’t really an issue to me. The reality of car-centric Charlotte and Charlotte area more so, unfortunately. Especially the huge car-commute waves.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I think we're missing the bigger picture here.  If we get rid of the parking decks then how are we going to have dope Fast and Furious-style import car shows/drift events? 

In the middle of intersections where they already take place, duh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Not sure on Phase 2 here, but the 2nd phase of Design Center/Lowe's which is at apartment tower at the corner of West/Hawkins still moving forward.  There was activity on approving the building permits as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Very nice. There are going to be a lot of towers clustered here in 5 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Not sure on Phase 2 here, but the 2nd phase of Design Center/Lowe's which is at apartment tower at the corner of West/Hawkins still moving forward.  There was activity on approving the building permits as recently as 2 weeks ago.

So of all the prospective towers to have not broken ground yet in that immediate vicinity (Prices, Sandwich Max, Tyber Creek, H&H, Walgreens, 110 East phase 2, the two Tremont towers, Lowes phase 2, I’m sure there are more) will this be next? And when do we think?

17 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

So of all the prospective towers to have not broken ground yet in that immediate vicinity (Prices, Sandwich Max, Tyber Creek, H&H, Walgreens, 110 East phase 2, the two Tremont towers, Lowes phase 2, I’m sure there are more) will this be next? And when do we think?

I have to think if they are working on permits in this climate, they are ready to go. So probably this is next, or Prices. 

9 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Is this not going to be a hotel anymore?  South End could really use another one.  A 20 story hotel/residential would be nice. 

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

For the remainder of this year and even into mid to late 2024, I’d be surprised to see anything other than Residential Towers breaking ground in SouthEnd.  Everyone keeps believing in a coming Recession and that sentiment mixed with the WFH reality may keep Office/Hospitality demand low..  Residential will keep Charlotte densifying for quite some time though.  Currently under construction Office and future planned Office (LU & QB) will keep this Metro punching well above its weight.  The only lag has really been in Retail and especially Hospitality.  Takes forever to get Hotels here announced and constructed.

Office development is going to remain low for at least as long as the unemployment rate is low.  Right now the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 50 years.  With the unemployment rate so low, prospective employees have the upper hand in the job market, with employers having to offer perks in order to lure them, which clearly includes offering office/work-from-home hybrid work models.  Office buildings remain half empty throughout the country and will remain that way so long as workers have the power to demand where they do their job.

• Like 3

So the top right of the garage is just going to be exposed like that and not covered? Like that's an architectural choice consciously made to cover everything but 25% of that side like some terrible zit sticking out? 

That last image will forever be a sad angle now. A previously nice photo op location of the Lowes Tower and trees will instead have a parking garage glaringly prominent in the center frame. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

So the top right of the garage is just going to be exposed like that and not covered? Like that's an architectural choice consciously made to cover everything but 25% of that side like some terrible zit sticking out? 

That last image will forever be a sad angle now. A previously nice photo op location of the Lowes Tower and trees will instead have a parking garage glaringly prominent in the center frame. 

I'm pretty certain the renderings show an angled division within the garage screening--on the front--with different textures of screening on either side. So, I *think* the non-framed and cladded portions will ultimately be covered by something else.  (I'm not in love with the massive podium parking structure, like everyone else, but I do think they at least are making a basic effort to cover it completely.) I could be wrong, though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...