110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

9 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Also there are plenty of grungy hoods left around for adventurous urban pioneers.

Yeah, but those neighborhoods have large non-white populations, and the people complaining about South End "losing its identity" never go into those hoods. South End used to be a young white hipster area and that's what they're mourning the loss of. If large swaths of the west side were turned into new towers and breweries and apartments they'd all be talking about how great it is to see the area revitalized.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Yeah, but those neighborhoods have large non-white populations, and the people complaining about South End "losing its identity" never go into those hoods. South End used to be a young white hipster area and that's what they're mourning the loss of. If large swaths of the west side were turned into new towers and breweries and apartments they'd all be talking about how great it is to see the area revitalized.

I actually don't remember a time where SouthEnd had white hipsters living there. NoDa and Plaza Midwood on the other hand...

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I actually don't remember a time where SouthEnd had white hipsters living there. NoDa and Plaza Midwood on the other hand...

Not living there are much as just hanging out there with CM, Phat Burrito, Black Sheep, etc. Nobody lived in South End because there weren't really any places to live.

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Not living there are much as just hanging out there with CM, Phat Burrito, Black Sheep, etc. Nobody lived in South End because there weren't really any places to live.

I just never actually felt like SouthEnd was actually hipster-y at all. Inclusive of everyone, sure. Maybe that was the authenticity that is missing. 

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There weren't. Every place that houses white hipsters used to be African American neighborhoods. Its extremely apparent in Atlanta. Inman park, Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, Kirkwood. Charlotte is Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth/Cherry, NODA and even to an extent Dilworth in the mid 90s. No one was living in South End.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just never actually felt like SouthEnd was actually hipster-y at all. Inclusive of everyone, sure. Maybe that was the authenticity that is missing. 

It's funny, I felt that way about NoDa over South End. Not as much hipster-y as just authentic. Different experiences between us I guess :dontknow: and I feel like NoDa is the area of town that's lost whatever authenticity it had.

8 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It's funny, I felt that way about NoDa over South End. Not as much hipster-y as just authentic. Different experiences between us I guess :dontknow: and I feel like NoDa is the area of town that's lost whatever authenticity it had.

Charlotte needs to have some strict zoning to protect those areas from becoming another South End/Uptown type of location.  The blocks with 19th century/early-to-mid 20th century structures should especially be protected.  And beyond that, surrounding areas should be zoned only for residential or retail; i.e., no corporate office structures.  And if possible, limit or prohibit retail chains.  This could go a long way to helping preserve the soul of those areas.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Charlotte needs to have some strict zoning to protect those areas from becoming another South End/Uptown type of location.  The blocks with 19th century/early-to-mid 20th century structures should especially be protected.  And beyond that, surrounding areas should be zoned only for residential or retail; i.e., no corporate office structures.  And if possible, limit or prohibit retail chains.  This could go a long way to helping preserve the soul of those areas.

Not to start too much of a flame war, but if this would have happened to South End 4-5 years ago, we would not have gotten Lowe's, DFA, and another large office user that is out there in the ether right now.

• Like 4

Add me to the list of people who dont understand the beotching of people complaining about Southend “losing its identity”. I’ve been in the city since 2006- and Southend largely always seemed like the edge of uptown with mostly Warehouses. Common market was great- but I feel like now, with all the new development, Southend is finally getting an identity. I find myself there more now than ever, whether it be to grab a beer with friends, eat, ride my bike, shop at the grocery store, go to the gym, etc: I never would have done most of this stuff in Southend 10 years ago.  Some people just complain, because they have a complain quota to meet. I would understand if we were tearing down old architecture in Plaza Midwood, but turning wearhouses into breweries, and turning parking lots into true office development with possible retail is not a reason to complain. 

Give this man a cookie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

Not to start too much of a flame war, but if this would have happened to South End 4-5 years ago, we would not have gotten Lowe's, DFA, and another large office user that is out there in the ether right now.

That's just my point:  You already have that in South End.  But not every corner of Charlotte needs to be filled with big office towers and corporate headquarters.  Leave that to Uptown, South End, SouthPark, and undeveloped/never developed areas like Optimist Park.  But there still need to be areas that feel like they've got heart and soul and character.   As for South End itself, I hear this talk of it being hipster (a word I hate) and crunchy, but my early memories is that one of the first businesses to take off there in the '90s was Pewter Rose, which I remember to be somewhat upscale.  Prior to that it was just a wasteland.  So to me the South End area never had any particular identity and is now finding one (I'm agreeing with JorgiPorgi here).  Not too much has been lost.  But if the City doesn't set parameters and guardrails in other places that do have an identity, eventually you're going to see tear-downs of cherished historical buildings and cool hangouts replaced with office towers, and there's going to be a lot of sameness throughout the city.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

Charlotte has character. Those who don’t think this city has character are looking in the wrong places. It’s true that we haven’t preserved enough of the past, but the history of Charlotte tells of a city that was constantly looking to the future. Even the width of Tryon street is evidence of this.  If Charlotte didn’t have this spirit then it would be like Greensboro or something. Not knocking Greensboro, but it’s not Charlotte.

Agree Charlotte does have character, but Charlotte, like Raleigh, and other major metropolitan areas in the south are fairly "new" cities.  Take a city like New Orleans (not biased i promise), or Savannah, GA, those are cities with real character - most of that character that was in CLT or RDU has been demolished...give it like 30 years and we can discuss the character this city has and is growing.  its not gonna happen over night! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I agree I think we have saved many great historical homes and neighborhoods and old warehouses and mills in this town.  But our tree canopy is what people like and mention the most.  When I went to downtown Dallas last month it was largely devoid of trees and landscaping very unlike our urban areas.  And houses of worship we have a plenty too.  Plus I think Charlotte is very clean compared to a lot of cities and this is good.   

I agree with @JorgiPorgi 100% 

I am going to Nashvegas next week and give you a full report with photos (but I have been there every year the last few years)  and maybe I can find that hottub pulled by a tractor downtown on Broadway. 

Nashville seems like a less verdant looking Raleigh with a more vibrant downtown. The west end neighborhoods look very similar to in town Raleigh. Nashville winters are much worse than ours, the mountains do a good job of blocking out a lot of Canadian air.

• Like 4

Getting back to the topic at hand and I could talk about Nashville and Dallas all day long believe me,  I wonder if Stiles plan is similar to their Las Olas development in Fort Lauderdale which an office tower next to a high rise apartment tower.    I do think this is their likely plan as there is no big apartment tower built in the last 10 years in Southend as  the Hawk is a smaller more boutique building.  

Here is their press release

http://stiles.com/news/stiles-and-shorenstein-properties-announce-plans-to-develop-class-a-transit-oriented-office-tower-in-charlottes-south-end

http://www.themainlasolas.com/   this is their new project in downtown FLL

Off topic   if you want to see recent Dallas photos go to their  UP thread I loaded them up.  I agree Dallas is better than I expected or remembered. 

• Like 3