110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

I also dig the "juxto" of old/new. Don't really get much opportunity in these parts. Love it in NY, Boston and London. About the parking...If CATS is content with letting the trains languish with overcrowding, tardiness and infrequency it won't be long till these folks get back in their cars. Love how South End is killing it though...

I think there should be more of a requirement to pay for infrastructure upgrades from the developer side when you are moving such a large workforce into an area like this. Between this, Lowes, and a few other projects in the nearby area, you could be bringing 8,000 people into this space without an improvement to Remount/West/Tryon/South traffic. Start putting a per parking spot tax in TOD transit zones for new development and see how much they overbuild or shift into making their employees pay.

If you look at paying $15 a day to park in Uptown, it makes it much more enticing to take an express bus 

Edited by JHart
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

I actually don't think this is true.  If you told me I could only take the bus or carpool to work, I probably would look for a different job.  I also just think it is unrealistic.  I live 3 miles from this site, and my car is by far the most reasonable option to get there.  I don't live on the light rail, carpooling 3 miles would be more trouble than its worth, and the bus would probably take twice as long because there is no direct route.  I get the general distaste for parking decks.  I really do, but I also understand it will be a necessary evil for a long time.  Even if every single line of the light rail were built out today, it would still be faster for me to drive.  As far as moving in closer, housing prices have skyrocketed, so that is easier said than done.  My house has almost doubled in value since we bought it in 2015, and we would be hard-pressed to find anything we could afford near center-city.  Keep in mind everyone on this board is an urban-enthusiast.  The general population isn't going to hop on a bus and lengthen their commute in Charlotte, NC.  While Charlotte is bustling and booming, you only have to go one county in any direction to find a rural community and rural mindsets, and there are a lot of people that still prefer this lifestyle.  No dis, just my perception of reality.

To be clear, I am all for enhancing transit options, particularly light rail, but parking decks are still necessary for the foreseeable future.

I do agree with you, it's a tough sell. Especially since we aren't going to see change over night. Since the developer is benefiting from the publicly payed for blue line and will be putting strain on the current infrastructure, they should have to help invest in blue line upgrades or to the general transit system. This would help alleviate congestion and help cut down on the need of so much parking in the future. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

As far as road mobility in the area, I still maintain that the city NEEDS to make Camden 1-way northbound only, and Hawkins from Park to Tremont 1-way southbound only.  

Are there any plans in the pipeline to improve Hawkins as of right now?  It is already a battlefield and it is going to get much worse when RAM is full and Portman is complete.  It needs to  have lines painted  at a bare minimum.  I think a raised crosswalk at Doggett would be good as well.  Visibility of crossing pedestrians is poor at that intersection due to the on-street parking.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

As far as road mobility in the area, I still maintain that the city NEEDS to make Camden 1-way northbound only, and Hawkins from Park to Tremont 1-way southbound only.  

An added bonus to that scenario is that it would space on the east side of Camden--and it wouldn't take all that much--to be allocated to completing the rail trail on the west side of the Blue Line,  for those two blocks of Camden where it's non-existent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I actually don't think this is true.  If you told me I could only take the bus or carpool to work, I probably would look for a different job.  I also just think it is unrealistic.  I live 3 miles from this site, and my car is by far the most reasonable option to get there.  I don't live on the light rail, carpooling 3 miles would be more trouble than its worth, and the bus would probably take twice as long because there is no direct route.  I get the general distaste for parking decks.  I really do, but I also understand it will be a necessary evil for a long time.  Even if every single line of the light rail were built out today, it would still be faster for me to drive.  As far as moving in closer, housing prices have skyrocketed, so that is easier said than done.  My house has almost doubled in value since we bought it in 2015, and we would be hard-pressed to find anything we could afford near center-city.  Keep in mind everyone on this board is an urban-enthusiast.  The general population isn't going to hop on a bus and lengthen their commute in Charlotte, NC.  While Charlotte is bustling and booming, you only have to go one county in any direction to find a rural community and rural mindsets, and there are a lot of people that still prefer this lifestyle.  No dis, just my perception of reality.

To be clear, I am all for enhancing transit options, particularly light rail, but parking decks are still necessary for the foreseeable future.

Do you ever bike to work?  If not, why not?

42 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Wouldn't changing two roads in a pedestrian-heavy neighborhood simply increase vehicle speed and decrease safety?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Sometimes no fit is the best fit. 

I 100% agree. My bete noire is the belief, and practice, especially in the '80s and '90s, that attempting to make new buildings blend with existing, including truly historic, buildings is preferable. I think most* of the time it's ill-advised, and ends up doing the opposite of what it's intended: dulling the appearance of both the old and new. It's CONTRAST that makes design arresting (and is a good rule of thumb when designing anything--building facades or interiors, graphics, visual art, even clothing; I have a B.A. in painting, so I'm not just blowing smoke here). 

New buildings should, of course, take their surroundings into account--bad contrasts, i.e. clashes, often create unpleasant visual experiences--but a good, sharp contrast between two different buildings, from different eras, makes you notice each one MORE. 

IMO there's enough brown and red brick in South End to remind us of, and preserve, its industrial beginnings for years to come. To not look provincial, and have the dynamism of a true world class city, there needs to be something bespeaking the 21st century in the South End too. The Lowe's tower will be just "across the street," and will balance the East-West tower. I think everyone agrees the Rail Yard is gorgeous, and so is Dimensional Place--two radically different buildings within a block of each other--and this will have the same effect a few blocks over, and will make South End feel like an important, interesting neighborhood, and not just a few developed blocks.

*The exception to this is when you have a truly old, nearly completely preserved block or neighborhood, like in Charleston or London or Paris, and preserving a greater area's character is of primary importance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

RETWEET

25 minutes ago, Cassman said:

Wouldn't changing two roads in a pedestrian-heavy neighborhood simply increase vehicle speed and decrease safety

I mean, the majority of neighborhood streets in NYC and Boston, the two places I know best, are 1-way.  Newbury St is 1-way in Boston and one of the most pedestrian friendly streets in the country, and feels far safer than 2-way Massachusetts Ave that intersects it. 

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Generally one-way roads aren't good for urban areas.  The more lanes there are going in the same direction, the faster people drive, and when people drive faster, pedestrians feel more vulnerable.  There's no issue with speeding drivers on Camden or Tremont presently; no point in encouraging that behavior, especially when we need to promote walkability in areas such as South End.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Cassman said:

Do you ever bike to work?  If not, why not?

I actually work in Ballantyne though I live near Elizabeth, so no, I don't bike to work. 

I have thought before about whether I would bike if I worked Uptown.  I like the idea, but don't know if it would be practical.  Sweating through work clothes in the summer, or fighting through cold/wet winter weather doesn't seem that appealing.  Also, my hair is think and sticks straight up, so a helmet would suck.  Lastly, I don't trust drivers on Monroe/7th.  Have you seen how many times a car has gone off the road and hit Lupie's?  It seems like they have to rebuild their entrance annually.

I would love to say I would, but I don't find it all that practical even though I really like the idea.  I am guessing I am not alone.  Maybe if I worked in a business casual/jean environment I might be more willing, but I am less willing wearing slacks/dress shirt.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Generally one-way roads aren't good for urban areas.  The more lanes there are going in the same direction, the faster people drive, and when people drive faster, pedestrians feel more vulnerable.  There's no issue with speeding drivers on Camden or Tremont presently; no point in encouraging that behavior, especially when we need to promote walkability in areas such as South End.

This is what I'd do with Camden. This is for an article I'm working on.

z2myBbU8.jpg-large.jpeg

20 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I actually work in Ballantyne though I live near Elizabeth, so no, I don't bike to work.

My bad -- I completely misread your earlier statement.  My question was premised on you living 3 miles away from, and working in, the E-W building, which obviously was wrong (for at least 2 reasons).  I was interested in whether people who live 3 miles from work, located in very bike-friendly areas, seriously consider biking as an option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

This is what I'd do with Camden. This is for an article I'm working on.

z2myBbU8.jpg-large.jpeg

THIS. 

This is exactly part of what I do for work in NYC. Camden could be a complete shared street, meaning max 5mph for cars, raised intersections, multi-modal transportation access (bike, transit, car, walk). It's being done in NYC on streets around Madison Square Park in Flatiron, University Place around Union Square, Willoughby Street in downtown Brooklyn, outside of Grand Central, deep in Midtown. 

This is the future of streets in dense urban centers: pedestrian designed, but still accessible by automobile. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Cassman said:

My bad -- I completely misread your earlier statement.  My question was premised on you living 3 miles away from, and working in, the E-W building, which obviously was wrong (for at least 2 reasons).  I was interested in whether people who live 3 miles from work, located in very bike-friendly areas, seriously consider biking as an option.

Im about 1.5 miles from my work uptown...use to bike to work through the french quarter in Nawlins...moved up here and remembered there are hills...point of that story is I should bike to work, but I dont