Jump to content

Jt282506

East West Station: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Here's another idea for a solution. What if the TOD zoning district mandated a minimum floor-to-floor height for all structured parking? This minimum would be set at a height (say, +/- 14 feet) that would facilitate adaptive reuse of the parking structure. This would incentivize building owners to reduce the number of people who drive to their buildings, because as parking demand fell, they could convert parking levels to leaseable space.

There are a few buildings in other places that have incorporated this concept - Google the 84.51 Center in Cincinnati for an example.

It would also need to mandate how the ramps work, because internal ramps also make it mostly unusable for redevelopment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Autonomous car storage.  The personal transport concept isn't going away.  The shared+autonomous concept could arrive within the building lifespan, but they will still need storage.

These decks already solve that problem, and future redevelopment of other nearby occur without parking needs.

Proximity of those shared vehicles will always be vital.

That assumes that the current car ownership model carries over to the autonomous era. I suspect that most autonomous vehicles would be shared (thus constantly circulating), rather than owned (which would require them to go 98% unused when they could be generating revenue for owners instead of occupying a space).

7 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Define "transit accessible".  One block, two, three?

Dunno, that should be a community discussion.  Personally I would suggest 1/2 mile from stations (coincidentally this is the distance from the station to my office). Using the TOD zones that the city already designated (which I believe are 1/4 mile) would also make sense.  Fundamentally we need to recognize that its impossible to build walkability without making it harder to drive through or to those areas.

I will say that (based on the renderings) the ground floor structure, with the roof overhang, will be a significant benefit to folks waiting for Northbound trains.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

It would also need to mandate how the ramps work, because internal ramps also make it mostly unusable for redevelopment. 

Yep - I'm thinking the ramps would be steep, drive-only (no parking on sloped sections), and ideally removeable. Say, for example, a garage with a 150'x200' footprint, where the center 30'x100' is a speed ramp at 15% slope. Parking space gets converted to other uses from the top level down. As you convert each level, the ramp is removed, leaving behind an atrium space.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jthomas said:

Here's another idea for a solution. What if the TOD zoning district mandated a minimum floor-to-floor height for all structured parking? This minimum would be set at a height (say, +/- 14 feet) that would facilitate adaptive reuse of the parking structure. This would incentivize building owners to reduce the number of people who drive to their buildings, because as parking demand fell, they could convert parking levels to leaseable space.

There are a few buildings in other places that have incorporated this concept - Google the 84.51 Center in Cincinnati for an example.

This right here. It's the first step of incremental monumental change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kermit said:

Dunno, that should be a community discussion.  Personally I would suggest 1/2 mile from stations (coincidentally this is the distance from the station to my office). Using the TOD zones that the city already designated (which I believe are 1/4 mile) would also make sense.  Fundamentally we need to recognize that its impossible to build walkability without making it harder to drive through or to those areas.

Part of the thinking in the new Charlotte 2040 Comprehensive Plan is 10min neighborhoods, everything is within 15 min via your chosen transportation mode, and as the city evolves that starts to change from 15 min in a Car to 15 min on a bike or on transit.

7 hours ago, kermit said:

I will say that (based on the renderings) the ground floor structure, with the roof overhang, will be a significant benefit to folks waiting for Northbound trains.

Until the 'security folks' of that building shoo the folks off for 'loitering on private property'

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CLT> said:

Part of the thinking in the new Charlotte 2040 Comprehensive Plan is 10min neighborhoods, everything is within 15 min via your chosen transportation mode, and as the city evolves that starts to change from 15 min in a Car to 15 min on a bike or on transit.

Until the 'security folks' of that building shoo the folks off for 'loitering on private property'

I think this goes back to what @kermit said. What will we do with all this space that is created for cars when the garages aren't full anymore. The comprehensive plan isn't due to go into effect until the end of 2021. Many more buildings with floors of parking garages will most likely go up by the time anything can make an impact. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Put in foundations sufficient to add several additional office floors in the future, and provide for a future additional elevator or two.  As the demand for parking spaces per square foot of office space declines, you'll still have enough parking to satisfy the demand, even with additional office floors.

A few office floors on top would be much more attractive to tenants than office space lower in the structure in former garage space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks RDF, I've been saying for years Camden needs to be a pedestrian / stroll district.  replace the asphalt with bricks/pavers, electronic bollards at street crossings to allow vendors / some deliveries.  Make it a street market in the spring and fall etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

I think this goes back to what @kermit said. What will we do with all this space that is created for cars when the garages aren't full anymore. The comprehensive plan isn't due to go into effect until the end of 2021. Many more buildings with floors of parking garages will most likely go up by the time anything can make an impact. 

I mean, New York/sf/Chicago, garages are all full and you pay 1000s a month for a spot. I am sure if we get rid of parking requirements parking  will still be Needed and in demand. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sigma said:

Thanks RDF, I've been saying for years Camden needs to be a pedestrian / stroll district.  replace the asphalt with bricks/pavers, electronic bollards at street crossings to allow vendors / some deliveries.  Make it a street market in the spring and fall etc.

Sadly, the current CDOT policies are not at all conducive to this. Right now if you want a shared surface type of street a developer is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of any surface that's not asphalt, they won't touch it. Also the new TOD zoning is very strict about actual curbs, gutters and tree pits. Needs to be some work convincing CDOT that this is the future, and as slow as city government sometimes moves we need to start yesterday. But there should definitely be an opportunity to include shared surface streets in the new UDO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.