110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

That's just my point:  You already have that in South End.  But not every corner of Charlotte needs to be filled with big office towers and corporate headquarters.  Leave that to Uptown, South End, SouthPark, and undeveloped/never developed areas like Optimist Park.  But there still need to be areas that feel like they've got heart and soul and character.   As for South End itself, I hear this talk of it being hipster (a word I hate) and crunchy, but my early memories is that one of the first businesses to take off there in the '90s was Pewter Rose, which I remember to be somewhat upscale.  Prior to that it was just a wasteland.  So to me the South End area never had any particular identity and is now finding one (I'm agreeing with JorgiPorgi here).  Not too much has been lost.  But if the City doesn't set parameters and guardrails in other places that do have an identity, eventually you're going to see tear-downs of cherished historical buildings and cool hangouts replaced with office towers, and there's going to be a lot of sameness throughout the city.

The City already has a mechanism for setting parameters around areas where the buildings are considered important or historic or unique. These areas are called Historic Districts and the redevelopment within those areas are governed by the Historic District Commission.

Neighborhoods made up of property owners generally have to petition the City to become a historic district. The issue there is that most property owners don’t want to be part of a historic district. In many ways it devalues the properties in the neighborhood and makes it more difficult than it should be to work on or renovate the buildings in the neighborhood.

It’s easy to say that the City should put parameters limiting the ability to transform an area, especially if you don’t own one of the properties in the area where property rights would be curtailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On 11/1/2019 at 10:34 AM, kermit said:

I’ll play the dissenter, I can totally imagine some boutique offices along Brevard near 25th st. long before we see office on N Tryon.  This strip will be bookended by Chadbourn and the Duke office space at 16th and will have some nice greenway connections. It will be a lot like the office space we are seeing pop up along Sugar Creek greenway in midtown....

quoting myself (sorry) here is the Observer from this afternoon (its happening):

A fast-changing stretch of North Brevard Street is about to gain an office tenant, as the light rail brings new development to an area that was once mainly industrial.

Architecture firm Housing Studio said Friday it will move into a 6,000-square-foot space in an industrial building across from the 25th Street light rail stop that once housed a machinery company. An additional 5,000 square feet will be available for lease in another former industrial building that will be converted to office space on the site.

The firm is designing its space and working with Charlotte-based developer Proffitt Dixon Partners on the project. Two corporations that appear to be affiliated with Proffitt Dixon purchased the buildings for $2.3 million in July.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article237398239.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/20/tupelo-honey-is-closing-its-south-end-restaurant.amp.html

“...Last October, Florida-based Stiles Corp. and San Francisco real estate firm Shorenstein Properties acquired a 2-acre parcel that fronts South Boulevard — and is home to Tupelo Honey and The Manchester. 

Plans call for the adjacent, surface parking lot to become home to a 385,000-square-foot, 23-story office tower, which will include 11,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. ..”

51A7B2D3-6825-4FD3-891E-E4DBC01DB72A.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/20/tupelo-honey-is-closing-its-south-end-restaurant.amp.html

“...Last October, Florida-based Stiles Corp. and San Francisco real estate firm Shorenstein Properties acquired a 2-acre parcel that fronts South Boulevard — and is home to Tupelo Honey and The Manchester. 

Plans call for the adjacent, surface parking lot to become home to a 385,000-square-foot, 23-story office tower, which will include 11,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. ..”

51A7B2D3-6825-4FD3-891E-E4DBC01DB72A.jpeg

So if the property next to Tulepo was going to be the tower, does this mean a second building is going on the Tulepo spot?

• Like 1

they may be considering building the office tower and residential tower at once.  Stiles is big in high rise residential and with the Shorenstein money they might think it is better to do a 1 phase project.  

I knew that Tupelo Honey was going to close like said above don't know why they pretended any differently. 

• Like 4

On 2/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, KJHburg said:

they may be considering building the office tower and residential tower at once.  Stiles is big in high rise residential and with the Shorenstein money they might think it is better to do a 1 phase project.  

I knew that Tupelo Honey was going to close like said above don't know why they pretended any differently. 

is the tower already announced the office or residential?  Any one have any knowledge about the height of the second tower?

5 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

is the tower already announced the office or residential?  Any one have any knowledge about the height of the second tower?

23 story is office tower design by hastings architecture from nashville 2nd tower use not determined yet but I am speculating as Stiles does a lot of residential towers in florida. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

It’s trippy, messing with my eyes haha

amazing though! Over 400?

no that is another one coming and it is a great design too from what I have seen and it is over 400 feet in Southend. 

18 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

That is a big tower, does it encompass the entire lot, including where Honey Tulepo was?

More room for a 2nd tower. 

• Like 4