I'm New to Minneapolis. My observations.

Jason1000

I moved to Minneapolis in July 2019.  I'm from a city of roughly 100,000 people. I moved here for work, I was offered a job at US Bank. Here are is a list of things that stood out to when I came here.  These are things that took me by surprise given the fact that had never visited the city before moving so I knew very little about it. 

1.  It's modern. I was shocked to see how modern the central business district looks. It's so picturesque. It looks like a skyline that should be in the Sunbelt. 

2. It's clean. I was surprised by how clean the streets are. 

3. The parks and surrounding land. By this I mean I was surprised by the amount of nature around the city as well as nice parks. This city does a great job of blending urban life with outdoor life.

4. Its walkable and has public transportation. I was surprised by the amount of people that walk around also I was surprised by the public transit options here. Where I'm from mass transit is extremely limited. 

5. Narrow streets and density.  I've noticed that streets here especially residential ones are very narrow and when cars park on them leaving just enough space to drive through, that was shocking to see. It was scary riding the buses around when I first got here a bus would have slowly turn onto a street. 

6. The culture. I had no idea Minneapolis had theatres and was famous for that. Also I love the museums especially the Minneapolis institute of Art. 

Notice I didn't mention winter as a culture shock. The Winters don't bother me I think the best way to deal with Winters here is to wear warm clothes. Overall I really like Minneapolis and see myself staying here for many years.

Edited by Jason1000
Incorrect wording discovered
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1000 said:

I moved to Minneapolis in July 2019.  I'm from a town of 30,000 people. I moved here for work, I was offered a job at US Bank. Here are is a list of things that stood out to when I came here.  These are things that took me by surprise given the fact that had never visited the city before moving so I knew very little about it. 

1.  It's modern. I was shocked to see how modern the central business district looks. It's so picturesque. It looks like a skyline that should be in the Sunbelt. 

2. It's clean. I was surprised by how clean the streets are. 

3. The parks and surrounding land. By this I mean I was surprised by the amount of nature around the city as well as nice parks. This city does a great job of blending urban life with outdoor life.

4. Its walkable and has public transportation. I was surprised by the amount of people that walk around also I was surprised by the public transit options here. Where I'm from mass transit is extremely limited. 

5. Narrow streets and density.  I've noticed that streets here especially residential ones are very narrow and when cars park on them leaving just enough space to drive through, that was shocking to see. It was scary riding the buses around when I first got here a bus would have slowly turn onto a street. 

6. The culture. I had no idea Minneapolis had theatres and was famous for that. Also I love the museums especially the Minneapolis institute of Art. 

Notice I didn't mention winter as a culture shock. The Winters don't bother me I think the best way to deal with Winters here is to wear warm clothes. Overall I really like Minneapolis and see myself staying here for many years.

Hopefully you can share pictures and articles of the various projects occurring throughout the Greater Twin Cities Metro area!

• Like 1