Cars of the QC

29 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Do people have ICE gas tanks that can go 518 miles? That seems looney. 

Those survey results are surprising in some ways - virtually everyone I know is planning on converting to electric - but I could appreciate that a lot of people haven't even given it a thought yet. 

I think you are right here. Many of us who are active online miss that most people receive their information from Television and radio.

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/1479888797860974592

Mulvihill is FoxSports head of strategy and a deep investor on the data of media. Ignore him at your risk

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Do people have ICE gas tanks that can go 518 miles? That seems looney. 

My 2016 Nissan Altima gets around 575-620 miles to a tank (it's an 18 gal tank), so it's definitely not unheard of.  Though I would hate to drive 500 miles straight in that car... the seats are not comfortable. 

That said, if this survey is at all correct, then it shows that American's don't really understand how different the fueling experience with BEV is to an ICE car. With a BEV, unless you're taking a road trip, you never really need to think about "fueling up".  You just plug in when at home and charge overnight. 

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

I'm wondering who wants to drive 500 miles non-stop? When I was 24, I made the 500-mile drive from Charlotte to DeLand, FL stopping only for gas (no food, I was broke) in less than 7 hours. I only did that once and that was enough. It's good to stop every three hours and just stretch my legs.

I used to do a 500+ drive a lot during my college years. I went to school in Pennsylvania.  I would usually take a stretch break at the New River Gorge, but other than that I'd drive straight, only taking breaks for food and gas. I don't think I could do it now though. And definitely not with the seats in my Altima. My old 2008 Mazda 3 had better seats. 

1 minute ago, TGIBridays said:

My 2016 Nissan Altima gets around 575-620 miles to a tank (it's an 18 gal tank), so it's definitely not unheard of.  Though I would hate to drive 500 miles straight in that car... the seats are not comfortable. 

That said, if this survey is at all correct, then it shows that American's don't really understand how different the fueling experience with BEV is to an ICE car. With a BEV, unless you're taking a road trip, you never really need to think about "fueling up".  You just plug in when at home and charge overnight. 

Wow! That's twice the tank size I have in my Prius.

Re: charging overnight, I think there's a huge reckoning that is coming. For most of upper class America and most of suburban America, this is not a big deal. Pull into your very nice garage, plug in, move on. But even here in Charlotte, there are hundreds of thousands of people who don't have access to a plug they could use like this. They're parked in an apartment complex lot or garage or parked on the street. There are PUDs all over the place that use on-street parking as part of the count, and there's not a ready made way to charge a car sitting out there. Where I live, one of our two cars could charge overnight, but I have no solution for the second car.

11 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Where I live, one of our two cars could charge overnight, but I have no solution for the second car.

My situation as well.

Multi-car households look to be another blindspot for the EV changeover. I am not an electrition, but I am not sure that the modern standard of 200amp household service is sufficient to charge two cars, run a dryer / heat / oven simultaneously. This is destined to become a bigger problem as folks want to shift away from the use of natural gas for cooking and heating.

There are such devices as UL approved charge splitters that automatically detect the use of a 30-50 amp device somewhere on the same circuit and cease charging the vehicle so that all power goes to the primary device such as dryer, range, motorized appliance. Once primary device is off then charging of vehicle resumes. I encountered these as I researched recently for my potential application.

I also encountered split chargers for two vehicles in one location/garage. These share the load for two vehicles at one time or sequentially. Most new charge devices that are not simply a receptacle for 240v offer a way to set the time of charge so that after household uses are done or when lower costs apply the charger will begin. Phone app control, alerts, alarms and so on.

There is a new house under construction behind me that has a permit for 400 amp service. My home builder friend says that for new home custom builders this is a standard. Capacity for the future or perhaps the present. I know not if Duke is prepared to supply this much power to the grid for so many such homes.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Re: charging overnight, I think there's a huge reckoning that is coming. For most of upper class America and most of suburban America, this is not a big deal. Pull into your very nice garage, plug in, move on. But even here in Charlotte, there are hundreds of thousands of people who don't have access to a plug they could use like this. They're parked in an apartment complex lot or garage or parked on the street. There are PUDs all over the place that use on-street parking as part of the count, and there's not a ready made way to charge a car sitting out there. Where I live, one of our two cars could charge overnight, but I have no solution for the second car.

Ah.  That's true.  I do remember thinking about that when I lived at an apartment. Sometimes I forget what a luxury a two car garage is, even if it's not large enough to open the doors but a fraction. Hopefully, it'll become more common for apartments/condos to have EV charges in the parking lots/decks.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

...200amp household service is sufficient to charge two cars, run a dryer / heat / oven simultaneously. This is destined to become a bigger problem as folks want to shift away from the use of natural gas for cooking and heating.

For most drivers you wouldn't need to charge the car at home every day. You could, depending on your commute only need to charge once a week.

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

parked in an apartment complex

More apartment complexes have added EV charging as an amenity. Here's PlugShare info for public J1772 plugs, the multi-family issues are resolvable.

image.thumb.png.b13e49ca32df2fea2fa6128e5da9aba8.png

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New to me this Hyundai Santa Cruz  pretty sure this is made in Alabama too.   Down on HHI. 

IMG_7803.JPG

Just looked up the new Santa Cruz. It's cool that they're going big on the outdoor adventure aspect, with power outlets, storage bins, a drain, etc. but WOW that is an ugly vehicle.

• Haha 2

since the QC is covered in snow tonight and luxury cars look better in the sun I present you the once a year Cars of the PBC (cars of Palm Beach County FL).   Rolls, Porsches, Maseratis galore!  and some I can't even identify but did see some Bentleys too.   Boy they look good rolling around Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens.  Plus a Bronco trim package I had not seen before Black Diamond I think  down by the PB Publix.   South Florida the luxury car capital of the southeast!   Check out the dog in the Bentley with his head out the window.  

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8515.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Rolls Royce four door:  An excellent car to take your friends with you to dinner. Other wise not much for me to recommend. The coupe hard top is not of that usefulness. The convertible is a different story.

The key to Rolls Royce, and the company is aware of this, they must be extravagant, elegant, refined, and just a bit vulgar. It seals the brand.

• Like 1

Last edition of South Florida exotic cars for this year sadly for me.   I call this collection of photos Miami Nice.  Lambos (and I prefer the orange one), Ferraris, Rolls Royces (did not know they had an SUV) luxury car overload here in Miami.   as I said luxury cars look better rolling around in the sunshine than snow LOL.   Even a photo of the new Aston Martin luxury condo tower and it is sweet!  Think warm Charlotte! 

@nicholasyou need to come on down and see the cars and towers.    Tower photo is the new Aston Martin tower 66 stories and plenty of parking LOL

https://www.astonmartinluxuryresidences.com/

IMG_8749.JPG

IMG_8750.JPG

IMG_8754.JPG

IMG_8777.JPG

IMG_8780.JPG

IMG_8781.JPG

IMG_8782.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8886.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Last edition of South Florida exotic cars for this year sadly for me.   I call this collection of photos Miami Nice.  Lambos (and I prefer the orange one), Ferraris, Rolls Royces (did not know they had an SUV) luxury car overload here in Miami.   as I said luxury cars look better rolling around in the sunshine than snow LOL.   Even a photo of the new Aston Martin luxury condo tower and it is sweet!  Think warm Charlotte! 

@nicholasyou need to come on down and see the cars and towers.    Tower photo is the new Aston Martin tower 66 stories and plenty of parking LOL

https://www.astonmartinluxuryresidences.com/

I was supposed to be buying a car in the Miami area next week, but you know how Craigslist people can be lol.  One of these days, I'll make the trip down there and see everything myself.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Notice how far away from the curb they were parked too. 

I'm glad you mentioned that.  This is something  that really gets under my skin and I see it a ton in South End.  For some reason on Bland between Church and Mint everyone has to park two feet away from the curb.  And why the hell do so many people sit in their driver's seat with the door fully extended open making traffic need to cross over the yellow in order to pass. They're just asking for that door to be peeled off. 

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Note this Porsche was parked in uptown Charlotte as I know there are purists who only want to feature cars in the QC.    This color is interesting.  

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

:tw_open_mouth:  Are you talkin’ about me??   Well here’s a couple from our first 30 seconds after parking our car at Venice Beach yesterday.  We should rename this thread “Cars of Various Locales Throughout the United States”. That just slips off the tongue.3AEB2746-F8F9-4257-9076-147916E6F239.thumb.jpeg.7437e5c7705740920c0191d03b5cf50c.jpeg

^ dead.  Take me now, Lord.

v this one’s ok too, if you’re into that sort of thing.

C05C950C-ADB8-4C6F-94BF-C689D8D22725.thumb.jpeg.280546c559350d249a9a0fbfa1928e6b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1