Cars of the QC

• 1 month later...

^$160,000 for what is at the end of the day a glorified Volkswagen. That thing is packed full of the same parts, plastics, electronics, engine parts, and entertainment system used in a $21,000 VW Jetta. Heck, they didn't even try too hard on the design and basically just made a VW Tiguan or Audi Q7 with Bentley logos on it.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I saw a Rivian pickup last week at Park Road Center in front of Burton's. Eyecatching design of course. I knew what it was before I saw the badge. First one for me. No Lucid yet.

This is Rivian. The headlamps are the brand signifier in my opinion.

LOL. Before I read your post my reaction was "uhg, those headlamps look awful" :tw_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TGIBridays said:

Spotted a Lucid Air for the first time in SouthEnd. Pretty sure the owner used to have a Tesla Model S. The two tone look is much more striking in person than I thought it would be. 

20220413_173957.thumb.jpg.45c126114e049c17bf62763ff1f5c5e7.jpg20220413_173953.thumb.jpg.0b4935d6342f1e091e872631b0390732.jpg20220414_090950.thumb.jpg.23e92b9d9bbaf99ca95fe17c847f3e1d.jpg

2000 called and said they wanted their Dodge Intrepid back

d5399d12-8b7b-4dbd-b461-6b30f116ff71.png.d062a6befecd888d0fd7c64203db8a98.png

d88cd827-5559-4c95-b2ec-12a4b40b9892.png

Edited by go_vertical
  • Haha 4

On 4/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, atlrvr said:

That Lucid is pretty hideous.  And C- parking job.

I thought it was pretty hideous until seeing it in person and now I still don't really like the style, but it was better in person.  And yes, bad parking job, but pretty par for the course for the fancier cars in this parking deck...

• Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, atlrvr said:

That Lucid is pretty hideous.  And C- parking job.

I don't understand why electric cars can't just look like *cars*....

Teslas look decent but a lot of the others (especially the startups) definitely fell off the ugly tree from the very top and hit every branch on the way down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

918 is a million dollar + car… you don’t see those driving around much anywhere. That is super neat.

There are a couple of them in the area, but I was unaware of this one until yesterday.  It was apparently just bought on Saturday from the McLaren dealership which always has a few extremely expensive exotics in stock.  One of only two in this spec in the world.

There is a white 918 Weissach Package w/ Martini Livery that is driven regularly.  Haven't seen it personally but it shows up at a ton of car shows and the owner also has an Aventador SVJ Roadster, SF90 Stradale, GT2RS, AMG GT R Pro, and some other cool toys.  I think there is another one in the Hendrick Collection but it is never driven because apparently Rick Hendrick doesn't understand the point of owning a ton of cool cars.

Another interesting car also seen yesterday (about an hour before the 918).  Aventador SVJ Roadster down in Ballantyne.  It was cruising with another SVJ Roadster which was lime green when I first saw it, but I couldn't get a pic of them together before they went their separate ways.  This one pulled into the post office, so I pulled in and snapped a couple pics.  Super cool owner, he's owned a bunch of cool cars as well.

IMG_8976.jpg.669dccf8333ed6fae98519e12fae9699.jpg

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Local auto rebuild body shop featured on Fox Business's new show Dream Cars.  Business is Street Scenes and this tv show for the 2nd time inaugural show also filmed in Charlotte area and now this episode.  The adult kids are rebuilding an old Ford truck for their parents.   And they are showing some skyline shots of Charlotte from this past winter. 

https://www.streetscenesauto.com/

Check out the episode teaser on their home page.

Great for our region to be featured so much but of course we know how to build cars for racing and restore them here in NASCAR country. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/shows/my-dream-car

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

A day doesn't go by that I don't see an exotic car uptown. Its mind blowing, growing up in Myers Park, it was still rare to see an exotic more than a few times a year. Makes it less special tbh.

Yep.  Growing up in the 80s, when I first became interested in cars, if you saw a Mercedes or BMW, you turned your head and watched till it was out of view.  Now they litter the streets!  It’s crazy how times change.  Anytime I’m driving, fully 30+% of the cars I see are M-Bs, BMWs, Audis, Porsches, Range Rovers, Lexuses, Teslas, Volvos.  Not to mention $60-80K+ pickup trucks and $100K Escalades.  They’re the Ford Tauruses and Chevy Cavaliers of our time.  It makes you wonder if, in 20 years, the streets will be filled with Phantoms and Lambos and Ferraris, silently skulking around Park Rd Shopping Center.  Where do we go from here…?

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Yep.  Growing up in the 80s, when I first became interested in cars, if you saw a Mercedes or BMW, you turned your head and watched till it was out of view.  Now they litter the streets!  It’s crazy how times change.  Anytime I’m driving, fully 30+% of the cars I see are M-Bs, BMWs, Audis, Porsches, Range Rovers, Lexuses, Teslas, Volvos.  Not to mention $60-80K+ pickup trucks and $100K Escalades.  They’re the Ford Tauruses and Chevy Cavaliers of our time.  It makes you wonder if, in 20 years, the streets will be filled with Phantoms and Lambos and Ferraris, silently skulking around Park Rd Shopping Center.  Where do we go from here…?

Everything old is new again. Those 1989 Taurus station wagons? That’s the next ‘57 Chevy Nomad.  Lambos will be sitting in the back lot of Carmax. 

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Haha 1

Occasional feature in Wall Street Journal is "My Ride" where normal people are featured and their special vehicle. One was a man, late 50's and his ride was a 1969 Ford Country Squire station wagon. 18 feet long, fake wood decals the whole length, seating for 10 with double facing seats at the wayback. He recalled it as the family car of his youth, vacations, school drops, fights with his siblings, and using it as his high school transportation after learning to drive in the thing. He discovered they had become rare because they were so large and inefficient with MPG in the 8-12 range. Many went to the crusher, some straggled along as vehicles for painters or cleaning services who could use it as a makeshift work truck-thing until it died and rusted to pieces. He finally found one in average condition and had it painted to his familiar color and nothing else done to it as he recalled it as a well used car from his time. "No air bags, ten ashtrays" was his description.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, CLT Development said:

A day doesn't go by that I don't see an exotic car uptown. Its mind blowing, growing up in Myers Park, it was still rare to see an exotic more than a few times a year. Makes it less special tbh.

Also most of the new money is in Uptown/South End which is where exotics are getting pretty common.  Myers Park is old money which tends to not be as flashy.  Even now I rarely see exotics in Myers Park.

• Like 1