Cars of the QC

• 3 weeks later...

Ransom E Olds, an early auto manufacturer, he of Oldsmobile and also REO trucks which became Diamond REO trucks. The building on Summit where Casque is now, east of Mint, was for many years a Diamond REO shop and parts location. Diamond REO went out of business in 2013.

Early Oldsmobiles were some of the most eyecatching of the "Brass era"  automobiles as seen in the photo with the brass steering and lamps. Antique shows will commonly have Oldsmobiles from that era as they represent the period so well and a remarkable number survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Reo_Trucks

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, tarhoosier said:

Are contemporary replica DeLorean cars something that exists?

If I remember correctly there was a company out of either Florida or Texas that bought the design rights to those cars, but I don't know if they ever really built any new ones.  The one I saw a few weeks ago was the real deal though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

If I remember correctly there was a company out of either Florida or Texas that bought the design rights to those cars, but I don't know if they ever really built any new ones.  The one I saw a few weeks ago was the real deal though.

Without looking it up again, I think the one you’re talking about bought the leftover body stampings, doors and other components from Delorean during bankruptcy or came upon them after that.  They supply parts for them now, but don’t build complete cars, IIRC.  But there is also the new Delorean that KH referenced above.

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nicholas said:

^I saw one of those a couple weeks ago at a bar edge of South End and Dilworth. Wonder if it's the same one.

IMG_9862.jpg.ef1ec0adba1f8a23dc3c71b9a05cbb7b.jpg

(Also the black car hiding behind the bushes is a Ferrari 812 Superfast)

It’s gotta be the same one, right? No way there’s two in Charlotte. Nice catch on that Superfast too!

9 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It’s gotta be the same one, right? No way there’s two in Charlotte. Nice catch on that Superfast too!

It's likely the same one since we're all suddenly seeing a DeLorean around South End and Uptown.  There used to be several DeLoreans that showed up at car shows, not sure how many are still in the area but I'm sure there are probably 5-10 around that are rarely ever driven.  Compared to older Ferraris and other stuff, they're not nearly as expensive, so it's easier to swing one of these if you're not stupid rich but still want a unique fun car.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Lambos may be a dime a dozen in Charlotte but not out in Cabarrus County saw 2 today only captured this one. 

IMG_7328.JPG

Close to a million bucks in that pic.  Owner also has a Lamborghini Huracan STO, Ferrari SF90, Porsche 911 GT2RS, Mercedes AMG GT Black Series, and a few other exotics.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 8:32 AM, nicholas said:

It's likely the same one since we're all suddenly seeing a DeLorean around South End and Uptown.  There used to be several DeLoreans that showed up at car shows, not sure how many are still in the area but I'm sure there are probably 5-10 around that are rarely ever driven.  Compared to older Ferraris and other stuff, they're not nearly as expensive, so it's easier to swing one of these if you're not stupid rich but still want a unique fun car.

I was really surprised because it was just, like, some schlubby-looking guy driving and the interior was kind of junky. It definitely didn't look like a car that an enthusiast bought and restored, it just looked like some guy's daily driver from the 80s.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SentioVenia said:

Karma Revero spotted today at Mallard Creek and Harris Blvd.  I also saw my first Rivian last night at The Roasting Company, a brown R1T, but didn't get a photo.

Funny, I saw two Rivians back to back a day apart last week.  One was white and the other a grey/blue color.  Wonder if it was one of them.

• Like 1