Cars of the QC

On 11/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, nicholas said:

It's a BMW Z4 with some Toyota badges.  Fail

As the resident car nerd, you should know better than to dismiss the cooperative efforts of BMW & Toyota as simple "badge engineering".  This has the potential to be significant for both brands with more projects and sharing of technology on the horizon.  

https://www.drive.com.au/news/bmw-wants-to-strengthen-bond-with-toyota-124587

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

@nicholas are these common?  I have not seen many of these around CLT.   2 Land Rover Defenders in of all places Saxapahaw NC in the the UCLA region upper Chatham lower Alamance counties.

IMG_9048.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9050 (2).JPG

Not the expert, but the Land Rover Defender is not very common. The two door is the Defender 90, and even more rare is the four door Defender 110.  I don’t have the numbers, but I would guess it’s less than 10,000 sold in the US.

There was a period where Ford owned Jaguar and Land Rover, but they sold it off during the financial crisis. The new Ford Bronco is about to take a bite into Jeep sales, and I bet that bite would have been even bigger if they still owned Land Rover and offered a rebadged and rebodied Bronco as a new Defender.  Instead, Tata Motors has produced a new Defender that looks right at home in shopping mall parking lots (albeit highly capable off road, and also VERY expensive). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reggie4417 said:

As the resident car nerd, you should know better than to dismiss the cooperative efforts of BMW & Toyota as simple "badge engineering".  This has the potential to be significant for both brands with more projects and sharing of technology on the horizon.  

https://www.drive.com.au/news/bmw-wants-to-strengthen-bond-with-toyota-124587

If Toyota had never built a Supra before, no one would care that the new one was essentially outsourced to BMW.  It would be like how no one really cares that the 86 is a rebadged Subaru BRZ.  However, the Supra is one of the most storied automotive nameplates out there, especially to younger generations, and this Z4 with Supra badges is an insult to the Supra badge.  The previous Supras shared nothing with any other automaker, and the Mk4 in particular was so over-engineered that even to this day there's almost no limit to its performance potential.  The new Supras are entirely BMW products once you get past the styling....powered by BMW engines (even the new base four-cylinder is from BMW), routed through BMW-sourced transmissions (let's not forget about the lack of a manual transmission in the Z4 Supra either), bathed BMW interiors, etc.  Anyone can swap out suspension bits, steering racks, and the like to change the way their car drives.  Toyota contributed next to nothing to this except the money.  If Chevy started rebadging Ford Mustangs as Camaros, I guarantee you nobody would ever take the Camaro seriously no matter how different it looked.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/how-much-bmw-dna-can-be-found-in-the-2020-toyota-supra-ar184209.html

I'm not saying it would have been as easy, but it would have been much more appropriate for Toyota to develop a new RWD platform to accommodate the new Supra, as well as several new Lexus products (especially the IS sedan, which already has a connection with the Supra because the first generation IS300 had the Supra's 2ZJ under the hood).

The article you linked is mainly focused on coming technologies, not really past products that carried a lot of significance in their day.  It's not the same thing.

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

@nicholas are these common?  I have not seen many of these around CLT.   2 Land Rover Defenders in of all places Saxapahaw NC in the the UCLA region upper Chatham lower Alamance counties.

IMG_9048.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9050 (2).JPG

Definitely don't see a lot of those around, although there are a few murdered-out Defender 110s in the Southpark area.  Would take that Defender over the new Defender every day of the week, no questions asked.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Its got the B58 engine in it. One of the best engines of any brand on the market today

That's my point....it's literally a BMW with some different clothes and badges.  It is a great engine, no denying that, but it's not a Toyota.

Edited by nicholas
  • Haha 2

Terrible photo quality, but managed to get this of a Camaro ZL1 1LE who happened to get on 85 next to me in Gaston. First one I've seen. It was funny to see a "plain" 5.0 mustang begin to tailgate him not even realizing that this wasn't just the average Camaro in front of him. Mr ZL1 wasn't even phased. 20201212_123451.thumb.jpg.208ee2a701666dd0c72115ab8a3c09ff.jpg

20201212_123446.thumb.jpg.20a8542ea744b75fa7b2071801ed916d.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Terrible photo quality, but managed to get this of a Camaro ZL1 1LE who happened to get on 85 next to me in Gaston. First one I've seen. It was funny to see a "plain" 5.0 mustang begin to tailgate him not even realizing that this wasn't just the average Camaro in front of him. Mr ZL1 wasn't even phased.

20201212_123451.thumb.jpg.208ee2a701666dd0c72115ab8a3c09ff.jpg

20201212_123446.thumb.jpg.20a8542ea744b75fa7b2071801ed916d.jpg

Has the newer tail lights, so it's a 2019 or 2020 model, which also indicates that it may have an automatic (although why anyone would want a Camaro with only two pedals is beyond me...).  Those 1LEs are stupid fast on a track, one of my neighbors has a highlighter green SS 1LE, and it looks and sounds amazingly brutal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...