Fusion @ Neon (Under Construction)

BeagleAccountant

I actually don’t mind some of the architecture at Town Center or at Summit Point. Especially the newest blocks at Town Center.  Dollar Tree headquarters at SP isn’t ugly either.  

Interesting the way that Town Center has developed and evolved over the decades with more classical, brick-heavy design in the early stages now yielding to a modern aesthetic in late stages. Makes it appear more organic, actually, like a real, existing downtown would have developed over various decades...rather than everything being built-out all at once... in the same exact style. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

• vdogg changed the title to Fusion @ Neon (Under Construction)
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Given this development's location in the Neon and its proximity to the Chrysler, The Perry Glass Studio, the Harrison Opera House. etc., I would have hoped for some street activation  via retail...and for a more "special" exterior design aesthetic.  To me, it looks like any other faux-urban, "UbiquiBOX"1 apartment development.    UGH.  

1. (Credit: Will Morgan, Architecture Critic) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, baobabs727 said:

Given this development's location in the Neon and its proximity to the Chrysler, The Perry Glass Studio, the Harrison Opera House. etc., I would have hoped for some street activation  via retail...and for a more "special" exterior design aesthetic.  To me, it looks like any other faux-urban, "UbiquiBOX"1 apartment development.    UGH.  

1. (Credit: Will Morgan, Architecture Critic) 

Why do you think that is (activation via retail...)? I really hope it simply isn't an oversight (by the planning community/city council) and has more to do with things I can not comprehend from an urban planning standpoint.  Everytime we talk about similar things, I ask myself that question: do they just not know or is it just something that is over my head. Blocks of building with little to no activity outside of just walking to and from cars. When I go to other cities, it seems as though they had foresight to understand ground retail in urban areas are needed. Norfolk is absent of it.  Its almost like they are focusing on a landscape picture but not the functionality within it (if that makes sense).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brikkman said:

Why do you think that is (activation via retail...)? I really hope it simply isn't an oversight (by the planning community/city council) and has more to do with things I can not comprehend from an urban planning standpoint.  Everytime we talk about similar things, I ask myself that question: do they just not know or is it just something that is over my head. Blocks of building with little to no activity outside of just walking to and from cars. When I go to other cities, it seems as though they had foresight to understand ground retail in urban areas are needed. Norfolk is absent of it.  Its almost like they are focusing on a landscape picture but not the functionality within it (if that makes sense).

So I know for a fact that planning encourages retail around all of downtown with new developments. However, I have also been told that some developers request not to place in any retail as well. 

IMO I think the city should require retail in all new developments in downtown/neon district. That being said, it needs to be different types there needs to be diversity in the retail, it needs to be for all ages and at all times. Downtowns should have anything from clubs and bars to museums and bookstores to trampoline parks and VR arcades to street side cafes and restaurants and everything in between. 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Urbanlooker said:

So I know for a fact that planning encourages retail around all of downtown with new developments. However, I have also been told that some developers request not to place in any retail as well. 

IMO I think the city should require retail in all new developments in downtown/neon district. That being said, it needs to be different types there needs to be diversity in the retail, it needs to be for all ages and at all times. Downtowns should have anything from clubs and bars to museums and bookstores to trampoline parks and VR arcades to street side cafes and restaurants and everything in between. 

I’ve heard the same regarding both the city encouraging retail and developers not wanting retail. I wonder how much the flood zone impacts the ability to create ground level retail with this project being a new development. I’ve read that the first floor has to be above the flood line and depending on how high that is, I imagine it would make ‘ground level’ uses less likely. 

As for the background building discussed in the other comment, the rehabs/conversions don’t normally get a major exterior facelift. Those projects rely on historic tax credits and making those types of changes would go against the guidelines for obtaining the credits. Not an expert, just sharing what I’ve been told. 

5 hours ago, brikkman said:

So I know from watching their meetings and talking to friends inside the development community that the planning commission Chairman and several members on the commission often push for ground level retail to activate the street. They say so explicitly. However, when the developers tell them that it’s not  “economically feasible” to do so or that they cannot reconfigure their footprint to accommodate such a thing, the PC backs down. With Gravity 400 a slight compromise was made, but Gaddams  pretty much won the day on that topic. Right on freaking Waterside Drive.  

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
18 hours ago, BFG said:

I’m sitting in the Neon now. That building is elevated pretty high. I’d guess the steps are at least 10’ above ground. 

Snapped the second pic while I was on Olney (I was stopped). This development has some serious presence.

011FF3D0-EBB8-4C53-B182-3F448A5E9687.jpeg

A1C2B4C6-5841-41D2-B75F-5429B0E7C6F2.jpeg

Amazing what some good infill development will do for the urban landscape. I like it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BFG said:

I’m sitting in the Neon now. That building is elevated pretty high. I’d guess the steps are at least 10’ above ground. 

Snapped the second pic while I was on Olney (I was stopped). This development has some serious presence.

011FF3D0-EBB8-4C53-B182-3F448A5E9687.jpeg

A1C2B4C6-5841-41D2-B75F-5429B0E7C6F2.jpeg

I was there in neon not long ago aswell. Im my eyes, looking down Boush street I see it as Downtown finally spilling over into the neon district. Because as we all know, those 6 or so lanes of hell have kept downtown seemingly in the small pocket of tall buildings. I see this as the first development to cross that line and finally start urbanizing the farther areas. If that makes sense? Maybe its just me, but thats how I see it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...