May / June Charlotte protests

3 hours ago, TCLT said:

Added to your comment to make it more accurate. If 1/3 of young white men were in jail there'd be a very different opinion of strong, aggressive policing among those groups. There probably would be an armed insurrection. The application of criminal justice in America is woefully racist.

I agree.  Also wanted to agree with earlier comment that a tremendous part of the issue rest with the loopsided distribution of justice with District Attorneys and Judges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is Jeff Jackson’s very through review of the tear gas kettle incident from last Tuesday night.

He was clear in saying that while CMPD says they issued a dispersal order before teargassing, no one he interviewed heard it and it was not audible on any of the video he (and I) viewed. He makes the very rational point that if CMPD wants a crowd to disperse then that request must be audible to the crowd.

https://medium.com/@Jeff_Jackson/review-of-incident-in-charlotte-on-4th-street-on-the-evening-of-june-2nd-2963d4598500

one excerpt:

1. These tactics created an unnecessary risk of injury to those who were present. They also created an unnecessary perception — by the national audience that this incident received — that our city views non-threatening protesters as fair game for a highly aggressive police response.

Edited by kermit

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Cancelling COPS and taking away Elmer Fudd’s gun. This is getting ridiculous. 

I haven't watched COPS in YEARS, but have supplanted it with Live PD.  Now A&E has tabled that and Live Rescue due to the current situation.  I have close friends that have sworn off watching either of them just on principal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I haven't watched COPS in YEARS, but have supplanted it with Live PD.  Now A&E has tabled that and Live Rescue due to the current situation.  I have close friends that have sworn off watching either of them just on principal.  

I had no idea that cops was even still a show, where has it been for the last 10 plus years... c'est la vie. 

15 minutes ago, cltcane said:

I have a feeling this isn’t the full story.

Right. It's probably worse than it sounds. CMPD has shown pretty clearly they're more than willing to violate their own policies and the law and then lie about it. And this is a pretty serious accusation for an attorney to make publicly, even more so if it's unfounded. I'd much sooner take the word of attorneys than give CMPD the benefit of the doubt at this point.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, TCLT said:

Right. It's probably worse than it sounds. CMPD has shown pretty clearly they're more than willing to violate their own policies and the law and then lie about it. And this is a pretty serious accusation for an attorney to make publicly, even more so if it's unfounded. I'd much sooner take the word of attorneys than give CMPD the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Well considering nothing was made of this, we can safely assume it wasn't true.  If true, this would have been ALL OVER the news, including national outlets. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

This is getting ridiculous. Really University of Florida and Aunt Jemima? I mean really? Why is everybody now a days so offended by everything? Makes no sense. 

This is just indicative of the dialogue in this country from both the right and left over the last 15-20 years...sound bites and simple imagery!  The underlying problems are just tabled for another day!:tw_dissapointed:

6 hours ago, InSouthPark said:
Well considering nothing was made of this, we can safely assume it wasn't true.  If true, this would have been ALL OVER the news, including national outlets. 

It’s cute that you think the media covers every single instance of injustice committed by the police.

Edit: But they are reporting on this one...

Edited by TCLT
well well well

Little Black Sambo was a highly popular book in the first half of the past century. It was about about a boy from rural India but the Black in the title and the "pickaninny" style of illustrations served the American audience. I had a copy when a boy.  The boy tries to make friends with a tiger and they chase in a circle until there is a blur and then there is butter and pancakes to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Little_Black_Sambo

In 1957 two men opened a breakfast restaurant in Santa Barbara called Sambos that served pancakes, among other items. The franchise grew quickly and prospered. When I moved to Charlotte there was a location of Sambo's at Davidson and Sugar Creek. A dark skinned boy running in a circle was a feature of the décor. Perhaps it was at Greensboro and Sugar Creek, now a Dino's restaurant. Nonetheless it was very near there. That landscape has changed. 

Sambo's had a name change and went through numerous variations although the Santa Barbara location remained Sambo's until this month. I could hardly believe that myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's

What will people say about our time at some future period?

• Like 2

The SBI report on the 4th st ketteling is out and the redacted full text can be read here: https://www.wfae.org/post/sbi-report-tactics-used-against-protesters-shows-little-warning-given-escape-routes-through

among the highlights:

• According to the SBI no involved officers were wearing body cams (Despite Putney’s claims he had viewed body cam footage the day after the incident and wanted it released — see below)
  • CMPD claims that one officer was hit with a rock and a group of others with “some type of chemical agent” but there is only radio chatter supporting those claims — no video evidence from the police or public.
  • The SBI claims a dispersal order was issued 25 minutes before gas was used (this was 5 blocks away). Another order was issued  5 minutes after the gassing
  • The SBI claims protestors had two routes of escape, however both required moving through the gas

I call bullcrap

Edit: 

Here is Joe Bruno quoting Putney the day after the incident:

The SBI report also says “5-6” pepper balls were fired from above the crowd:

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1