May / June Charlotte protests

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Seems like they're just hoping people forget about it and it goes away, especially since the footage will make what they did pretty clear.

With the attention span of most Americans today, this will be a faded memory soon, especially as we progress into the presidential elections.

^ it will

Unfortunately it looks like they violated the civil rights of Charlotteans, put hundreds of people in danger, violated CMPD policy and perhaps some laws as well. As someone who pays taxes to support CMPD I am not willing to let that slide.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ it will

Unfortunately it looks like they violated the civil rights of Charlotteans, put hundreds of people in danger, violated CMPD policy and perhaps some laws as well. As someone who pays taxes to support CMPD I am not willing to let that slide.

Serious question about this incident...was anyone actually hurt seriously in a physical sense-like broken bones, blindness, death, etc? Anything of that nature?  I haven’t seen anything to suggest that there was  a serious injury as a result of police actions, but I could have missed something.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Serious question about this incident...was anyone actually hurt seriously in a physical sense-like broken bones, blindness, death, etc? Anything of that nature?  I haven’t seen anything to suggest that there was  a serious injury as a result of police actions, but I could have missed something.

I have not heard about any broken bones, IIRC the Queen City Nerve video shows at least one person who was shot in the face with pepper balls and did have several visible welts, so there was certainly a potential for serious injury due to CMPD actions. There are other issues with using tear gas (abortifacient, prohibited in combat, etc) that we don’t need to go into. Even if CMPD was assaulted by protestors, they still violated their own policy (and I believe local ordinance) by not leaving protestors a clear avenue of escape from the chemical weapons.

Having said that, I don’t see how physical injuries are relevant to the seriousness of CMPD actions that night.  If the protestors did not assault the police (the report and body cam footage is what we need to prove that they did), then CMPD unilaterally decided to disperse a peaceful protest with violence. This is an abrogation of protestor”s speech rights without cause, making CMPD actions that night a constitutional violation on the same moral level as  government seizing people’s firearms without cause. Our freedom to protest without interference from the government is a foundational right of being American. I think you would agree that we should be hyper-vigilant about protecting those rights. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

However you do not have  sufficient evidence to conclude that CMPD committed the rights violations of which you seemingly accuse them.   

We disagree on this point.
1) The complete absence of an audible dispersal order in any of the video of the incident is the first question that needs to be answered.  (and the QCN video did include the 25 minutes before the incident when the SBI report claims the order was issued). While I am guessing CMPD did issue the order, it seems very unlikely it was audible to the majority of the protestors

2) Chief (at the time) Putney said the following day that he ‘reviewed the body cam footage and it will exonerate CMPD”. The SBI said there was no body cam footage. The lack of body cameras is a violation of CMPD policy. One of the two investigative agencies is lying about the existence of footage — why?

3) the SBI report says both escape routes were obscured by smoke but “no officers obstructed the routes.” While this may be true, it is reasonable that the amount of smoke made it impossible for protestors to see that those routes were an option. An invisible escape route is not a viable option in a situation like this.

4) The only evidence that the SBI report provides that protestors were throwing objects at CMPD was vaguely referenced ‘radio traffic’. The radio traffic said “bottles” were being thrown. But there was no mention of what type (they were most likely plastic water bottles) or how many. While some may argue that one is enough to justify the CMPD use of force, you say that ‘welts are not a serious injury’ and its hard to imagine a water bottle doing more damage than pepper balls fired at unprotected people’s faces.  

This ambiguity is my primary area of concern. Throwing objects at the police is how the gassing was justified, but very  little evidence has been offered to support this critical point. I was walking with protestors up until about an hour before the gassing happened, the crowd was entirely peaceful and there was no indication up to that point that the crowd would be likely to throw objects.

Finally, the mayor and chief of CMPD promised a swift city investigation and transparency in the process. My first post simply asked where that report was and why it has taken so long to release. 

I know that my questions are not sufficient to reach any definitive conclusions, but I think we have plenty of evidence that indicates we need to look much more closely at what did happen. 

I’ll leave open the possibility that CMPD did nothing wrong, but I believe the evidence suggests that its possible CMPD made huge mistakes that night. Unfortunately the city and CMPD have not  been forthcoming or honest about the events of that night and the (Lack of?) investigation which followed. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:17 PM, TCLT said:

White people and minorities often take similar actions for different reasons. And even if they take similar actions for similar reasons, the effects of those actions aren’t the same when different groups take them. We, as a society, really need to be more sophisticated when we talk about and think about race. Everyone wants to put their kids in good schools and get quality, safe, affordable housing. But we live in an inherently racist system. When minorities pursue those goals they often end up moving into “white” spaces. When white people pursue those goals they often end up creating “white” spaces that exclude minorities, either intentionally or as a consequence of economic realities. Equivocating is stupid and counterproductive when there’s a really profound lack of equality. And it causes us to miss the point. Racism exists, plain and simple, and affects every part of American society. And white people benefit from it whether or not they are “a racist”. But we get so caught up worrying about the accusation of racism that we ignore the very real consequences of racism and fail to address them.

Of course this reflexive defensiveness about a more than likely accurate accusation of racism probably distracts from the broader point [mention]kermit[/mention] was initially trying to make about the suburbs as an unsustainable and unjust construct.

Edit: This is a great TL;DR:

Extremely well spoken/explained.  Thank you kind Sir, or ma’am.....

• 2 weeks later...

So the plan was to ambush protestors (two platoons were "out of sight"), confine them in a 'bottleneck' and then "hammer their ass." Tell me how ambushing protestors and intentionally limiting their escape routes ("bottleneck")  helps to achieve the CMPD goal of dispersing them?

Still no information on why none of the video from before the kettling has an audible dispersal order, or evidence that protestors were actually assaulting CMPD before the gassing. 

"To Protect and Serve"....

Blocking escape routes appears to have been part of the plan.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, kermit said:

So the plan was to ambush protestors (two platoons were "out of sight"), confine them in a 'bottleneck' and then "hammer their ass." Tell me how ambushing protestors and intentionally limiting their escape routes ("bottleneck")  helps to achieve the CMPD goal of dispersing them?

Still no information on why none of the video from before the kettling has an audible dispersal order, or evidence that protestors were actually assaulting CMPD before the gassing. 

"To Protect and Serve"....

Blocking escape routes appears to have been part of the plan.

What I found somewhat surprising, after listening to the story on WFAE this morning, was that the officer quoted above is not eligible for any type of promotion or raise for a two year period.  How about kicking him out of CMPD?  He's not a law enforcement officer I would want on the force.  Keep in mind, I'm basing this off of one incident.  However, it is a high profile incident that would be indicative of his behavior in any other situation.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:10 PM, JRNYP2C said:

What I found somewhat surprising, after listening to the story on WFAE this morning, was that the officer quoted above is not eligible for any type of promotion or raise for a two year period.  How about kicking him out of CMPD?  He's not a law enforcement officer I would want on the force.  Keep in mind, I'm basing this off of one incident.  However, it is a high profile incident that would be indicative of his behavior in any other situation.

What I found more surprising is the fact that they're trying to pin this on just this one officer when it's obvious he's communicating a plan that already exists for the entire dept out that night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

What I found more surprising is the fact that they're trying to pin this on just this one officer when it's obvious he's communicating a plan that already exists for the entire dept out that night.

I appreciate the clarification.  I was so laser focused on the one officer that I didn't take into consideration that he may have been part of a larger group here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I appreciate the clarification.  I was so laser focused on the one officer that I didn't take into consideration that he may have been part of a larger group here.

Good post from Braxton on Fb. It's disheartening to see nearly every other council member deferring their *actual job description* of overseeing CMPD to internal reviews.
image.png.a4c10b59fba9dc1f4bb6d261af8fb44f.png

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Good post from Braxton on Fb. It's disheartening to see nearly every other council member deferring their *actual job description* of overseeing CMPD to internal reviews.
image.png.a4c10b59fba9dc1f4bb6d261af8fb44f.png

There is certainly a trend of US police departments ignoring their elected overseers / employers. I had hoped CMPD would be more responsive to community concerns than the average department, but it appears that is not the case. Of course as the Sargent points out, our council is failing us as well in allowing CMPD to ignore the rights of Charlotteans. 

• Like 2