PRIME/801 Church St. (38 stories, 456', 358 units, 2,654 sq. ft. retail, 511 capacity garage)

markhollin

Yes, Nashville is heading to be a car free city, especially since he doesn't want to spend the money to build parking. Next it will be how athletic we all are so we don't need elevators. I get that the whole argument on not having cars downtown, but the folks I know who live downtown laugh at the idea of not having a car. I also know several folks who want to live downtown but don't work there. They are not taking the bus to Cool Springs or biking to even midtown in 90 degree July. It does seem that he is acknowledging the some need for parking by including in this project.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I don't know the specifics, but I imagine the lenders for his 900 Church Street tower balked at not having parking, so Tony G 's purchase of 801 will make them comfortable. Tony doesn't have to build both towers simultaneously, but can build the parking lot for 900 on 801 simultaneously. The 801 parking garage can be built to support a future tower, too.

Let's just pray the 801 tower design has a crown. Tony needs his crown!!!!

Tony already has three residential towers on Church Street. If he manages to build Paramount, 900 Church, and 801 Church, his management of the renaissance of Church Street as a residential corridor IS his crown! (Although it WOULD be amazing to see the Signature Tower, complete with its showy spire, added to Tony’s Church Street collection.)

Just now, JoeyX said:

It's stupid to believe that people are going to go without a car and just live their entire lives in a sandbox area of 1 or 2 miles or want to be dependent on some other entity for their transportation.

Zip Cars and other such services are valid options for those who live in urban areas and don’t have need for a vehicle on a regular basis but want to make a Costco run. For short trips, Uber and Lyft. It’s not that unreasonable to live without a car.

• Like 4

Not trying to be argumentative but - I know several people who live downtown and all have cars. Most folks aren't walking to Publix or Whole foods when it's 30 or 90 outside. They don't have room for stockpiles of groceries. A lot of females are leary Lyft/Uber. Are Zip cars or similar services here? You have to park them somewhere too. Obviously some will do it, but how many folks do you know, in Nashville, that have no car? 

• Like 3

Totally understand and neither am I. I'm just speaking to my experience in the design/planning in Nashville, but also in Boston in urban settings. Many of my senior colleagues push back on my when I talk about minimized parking too. IDK many folks that don't have a car. I know one specifically that lives basically in oneCity and commutes to Sobro everyday without a car. I know Turo is here, but know Zip is not here. I'm not saying that people have to give up there car, but recognizing that it should not be a given that every single building in the city needs to provide it. Having a car is more of a privilege than it is a freedom and if people want to live in downtown AND have a car, they may have to pay a premium. Parking is not cheap to build and ultimately lends itself to living units and retail slots costing more to rent/lease

It also doesn't help that the city essentially subsidizes parking everywhere....

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Bos2Nash, I have to wonder if the condo building adjacent to 813/817 has the air rights to those two parcels, as their north facing units have windows facing that property.

(image from Google maps)

C851D7FB-DD94-44C5-982D-B6E3A82C993D.jpeg

Thanks for pointing that out. It appears to be an alley there. Any development may face the same argument the Orbison is attempting to make over in midtown.

image.png.3a118162ed2a5e85aeb29b2efa217ec6.png

10 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Again, I know nothing as well, but this is the lot we had speculated could be a landing spot for Paramount should the park land swap not work out. Maybe we could get the best of both worlds, get a reprogrammed park/Anne Dudley Davis Blvd, and Paramount. 

I doubt Tony will do the Anne Dudley Davis Park if Paramount doe's not go at the Church St. Park location. Why would he even want to give the city anything if given the shaft by Cooper.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I doubt Tony will do the Anne Dudley Davis Park if Paramount doe's not go at the Church St. Park location. Why would he even want to give the city anything if given the shaft by Cooper.

Of course he wouldn't.  That park would've benefited his project and make Paramount that much more attractive if it were built. Paramount in its current design doesn't really work at this plot because it is right at the corner of a busy intersection. My guess is it would have to be reconfigured to enter off of Rosa Parks and exit through that alley space.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:30 AM, markhollin said:

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 7.17.20 AM.png

Wait, so Tony does not yet own the two red parcels next to the blue parcel in the photo above?  That's a pretty significant risk to the project if he still needs to acquire the land, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Armacing said:

Wait, so Tony does not yet own the two red parcels next to the blue parcel in the photo above?  That's a pretty significant risk to the project if he still needs to acquire the land, in my opinion.

I don't think he needs to acquire them, but I could be wrong.