Sign in to follow this  
MLBrumby

Jim Cooper: Send him back? Or end his time as US Rep?

I MUCH prefer Keeda Haynes to Cooper and she has my vote. I've actually never voted for Cooper and don't plan on ever voting for him.

• Like 3

I have colleagues in the medical field who have also told me about poor experiences meeting with Jim Cooper, who seemed to be more interested in name-dropping and "being right" than meaningfully listening to proposed policies (that would be perfectly in line with the general Democratic Party platform on improving health care in the US). With the primary around the corner, I've been receiving a ton of glossy mailers from Cooper's campaign clearly trying to align him with racial justice protests and advertising his "accessibility." I already voted early for Haynes, but all I've seen are a few yard signs and an unsolicited text from her campaign team, and it'll probably take a lot more than that to overtake a firmly entrenched and clearly deep-pocketed incumbent .... We'll see; hopefully voters who are motivated enough to vote in the primary (during COVID no less) will also be motivated to research the candidates more deeply, regardless of what conclusions they end up reaching.

On a side note, I was happy with the safety measures at my early voting site. Still would've preferred voting by mail, but using a new pen for signatures and a "disposable stylus" (definitely coffee stirrers from Amazon) for voting was definitely comforting.

Primary challengers rarely win the first time out. I voted for her, too, but I'd be surprised if she wins this go 'round. If she runs in 2022, though, she'll have more name recognition and there's a good chance I'd vote for her again... along with more people, I bet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I have colleagues in the medical field who have also told me about poor experiences meeting with Jim Cooper, who seemed to be more interested in name-dropping and "being right" than meaningfully listening to proposed policies (that would be perfectly in line with the general Democratic Party platform on improving health care in the US). With the primary around the corner, I've been receiving a ton of glossy mailers from Cooper's campaign clearly trying to align him with racial justice protests and advertising his "accessibility." I already voted early for Haynes, but all I've seen are a few yard signs and an unsolicited text from her campaign team, and it'll probably take a lot more than that to overtake a firmly entrenched and clearly deep-pocketed incumbent .... We'll see; hopefully voters who are motivated enough to vote in the primary (during COVID no less) will also be motivated to research the candidates more deeply, regardless of what conclusions they end up reaching.

On a side note, I was happy with the safety measures at my early voting site. Still would've preferred voting by mail, but using a new pen for signatures and a "disposable stylus" (definitely coffee stirrers from Amazon) for voting was definitely comforting.

Oh... Jim cooper is one of the most unpleasant men I’ve ever had the displeasure of having dinner with... twice! And with all the cancel culture about obliterating shameful reminders of the past, it’s worth noting that the Coopers’ father was a staunch Jim Crow segregationist. Interesting how that little factoid has escaped the local news media.

This one was never in doubt. Rich and powerful incumbent son of a former governor, and the local rag loves him.  Nashville still hasn't reached the point of political diversity. It's still yeller-dawg, like many cities in the South used to be. 

• Like 2