Southtrust Tower/Capitol Center

sonofaque86

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wachovia recently purchased SouthTrust. I am suprised it has taken this long to do the conversion. They will probably put a Wachovia sign up there, but I hope it is something different since we already have one Wachovia sign in the city.

What sense does it make to have two Wachovia buildings no less than two blocks from each other.

What will it take for Columbia to build something taller than Southtrust. Oh I meant Wachovia.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

probably won't be for a while. If there is not a need for a taller building then you just won't build it. Don't build it just for the sake of having a taller building with no tenants.

probably won't be for a while.  If there  is not a need for a taller building then you just won't build it.  Don't build it just for the sake of having a taller building with no tenants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, San Antonio had a problem with that in the late 80s and early 90s. They built various office and apartment buildings to revive their DT area, but many of those buildings remained vacant for about 5-10 years. Fortunately, many tenants eventually located HQs and businesses to these buildings, and San Antonio became a hot market for real estate to this day.

I don't know if Columbia could do that and get away with it. San Antonio was very lucky, and there aren't any other major cities around it to make businesses bypass the city. Columbia might have too many cities close to it. What city leaders are doing now is good development...steadily constructing buildings and waiting for the market to demand the space.

You know, San Antonio had a problem with that in the late 80s and early 90s. They built various office and apartment buildings to revive their DT area, but many of those buildings remained vacant for about 5-10 years. Fortunately, many tenants eventually located HQs and businesses to these buildings, and San Antonio became a hot market for real estate to this day.

I don't know if Columbia could do that and get away with it. San Antonio was very lucky, and there aren't any other major cities around it to make businesses bypass the city. Columbia might have too many cities close to it. What city leaders are doing now is good development...steadily constructing buildings and waiting for the market to demand the space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Texas seems to have a real knack for that type of thing. I know that Dallas and Houston have both had periods of having huge office towers sitting empty in their downtowns.

I agree with you Charleston Native that slow steady development in Columbia is better than building a slew of spec buildings with no tenants lined up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking that. Charlotte is a little more than a hour away... <_< But I'm sure something will be built taller than the southtrust...oh...i mean Wachovia 2 building :rofl:

That would be cool. Maybe they could build one on the site of the old Heart of Columbia Motel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

\

I think it would be very difficult to get approval for a tower of any significant height in that location, as it would seriously impede views of the State House from the west. I would think that both the city and the state would step forward on that issue. Also the Vista area seems to favor lower height buildings.

Does anyone know if this height limit in the Vista is official or just coincidence?

\

I think it would be very difficult to get approval for a tower of any significant height in that location, as it would seriously impede views of the State House from the west.  I would think that both the city and the state would step forward on that issue.  Also the Vista area seems to favor lower height buildings.

Does anyone know if this height limit in the Vista is official or just coincidence?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I'm not mistaken, the height limit in the Vista is 100 feet. I believe that is why the Hilton will only be 8 stories. That said, The State reported today that Holder properties is buying up property in the block of Main Street between Devine and Blossom in order to build a residential/retail development. Because of the nature of that block, expect it to be a highrise development. Maybe we will break that 349 foot barrier sooner rather than later. :)

I will be interested to see what kind of signage they put up on the Capitol Center. You know, with as many times as it has changed in the last decade, they'd be better off just putting "Capitol Center" up there (or just leave it blank like the Meridian). I know it won't happen though, corporations gotta have their name up there to show off and stuff. You know what's funny though, there was a lot of mention how Wachovia would now have two buildings within a block of each other, but this would actually be the third Wachovia building on Main St since they took over the First Union building last year. (like waccamatt said) I know there's no sign on top of the building, but there is one above the main entrance. Anyway, I hope they're smart about it, whatever they end up doing.

Archived