South Blvd area -- South of Woodlawn (SoLoSo)

kermit

31 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

The naming is besides the point. Honestly I could careless how it’s named. I feel the “ridiculousness” responses are an unnecessary reaction to the sign and naming. LoSo is just an acronym for Lower South End. And yes, There is a point where it can get cumbersome and at that point it isn’t useful anymore. Not at that point yet.

“LoSo” isn’t far from the sign though I’ll say that so it’s not too out of place.

I'm relatively new to Charlotte, but I don't think I've seen almost mid-rise height signage announcing any of Charlotte's neighborhood districts.  This seems like it's a first.  And I'm not judging the sign as ridiculous...yet...just curious to know if highway signage of an urban mixed-use district has much commercial value.  Also curious to get a sense of the commercial reasoning behind it.  I suppose if the sign stays, 20 years from now "LOSO" may be known as the district in urban Charlotte announced by the soaring circle.

I'm relatively new to Charlotte, but I don't think I've seen almost mid-rise height signage announcing any of Charlotte's neighborhood districts.  This seems like it's a first.  And I'm not judging the sign as ridiculous...yet...just curious to know if highway signage of an urban mixed-use district has much commercial value.  Also curious to get a sense of the commercial reasoning behind it.  I suppose if the sign stays, 20 years from now "LOSO" may be known as the district in urban Charlotte announced by the soaring circle.

Commercial Value?? Probably not much. It’s simply something someone did with perhaps no reason. It’s likely more an aesthetic change rather than anything. That is why I’m saying it is not worth the consideration in terms of worrying about its validity.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JeanClt said:

Commercial Value?? Probably not much. It’s simply something someone did with perhaps no reason. It’s likely more an aesthetic change rather than anything. That is why I’m saying it is not worth the consideration in terms of worrying about its validity.

I agree, the sign is absolutely meaningless. Just someone wanting to cover up the old 76 logo with something cheap and quick. Doesn't even look like the letters are centered, this is a fast hack job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Is the sign also owned by Providence Group Capital, the recent buyers of the Radisson Hotel and Clarion? Looking at property boundaries, it looks like the sign is part of the Radisson parcel. 

My guess is Providence wanted to:

1.) Remove old gas station signage from the entrance of the hotel
2.) Do something quick / easy
3.) Perhaps associate the hotel they now own with "LOSO" as part of a broader push to revamp the property... "The Radisson LOSO / Charlotte Airport sits in Charlotte's bustling Lower South End neighborhood in close proximity to bars, restaurants, et...." in an effort to attract more tourists, et. as opposed to just airport travelers. 

This article also shows Providence referring to the new hotels as "LOSO" and they are under contract for 12 other properties around the hotels.... so looks like they are taking it upon themselves to name the neighborhood LOSO and try to make their property worth more by being associated with South End. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/02/01/firm-acquires-lower-south-end-hotels-for-179m.html

Bingo, that's gotta be it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeoman, Wallingford Street areas are really under a lot of construction.  Is this Two (2) Residential Apartments being built or just One (1) from Greystar?  Lot of change going on (Along Woodlawn too) but still a tough neighborhood….

Sorry - Answered my own question after riding through again.  It’s Two (2), Lennar and Greystar developments.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
Found Own Answer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Actually I think this is a pretty good location for apartments.  No they are not transit friendly but close in, brand new with out expensive parking garages within an office park which these days are fairly quiet and deserted on the weekends.  DRP is building apartments over the Lakepointe Corporate park as all this land zoned for office buildings is getting new uses.  Plus they have another rezoning in that same area for another apartment complex.  Suburban office will work in a more mixed used environment like Waverly, reimagined Ballaytyne, Southpark area etc.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

Google Maps shows a ~15 min walk to Tyvola Station. Maybe not ridiculously car dependent.

The apartments are going to be at the very back of the Exchange so add 8 minutes just walking through the sprawling office park to get to Tyvola Road for a grand total of about ~23 minutes. That walking is along a stretch of Tyvola with poor sidewalk infrastructure and dangerous crossings around the Costco shopping center with no marked crosswalks at some driveways.

It is only a 4 minute drive to the park and ride at the station which may appeal to some people for commuting, but day to day living will def require a car for errands.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Looks like something major is going down on Woodlawn right now.  A ton of police and what looks like a CSI van in front of the IHOP right before 77.  A white sedan plowed head first into a big rig waiting to turn onto Nations Crossing.  I'm wondering if shots might have been fired because once I was finally able to creep by in the only open lane there were a couple of officers placing down the yellow evidence markers around the car.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 4/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not quite South Blvd area, not quite City Park or LoSo but this seems to be most relevant thread..   New suburban style apartments coming to the Exchange.  Further adding rooftops to the whole Woodlawn, Tyvola, Old Pineville stretch

There’s a decent stretch of Apartments being developed away from the Traditional South Blvd/Old Pineville Rd Corridor.  You can already see land clearing for these planned apartments adjacent to The Exchange.  There is another under construction Apartment complex right off I-77 just south of Nations Ford Rd behind the Samaritans Purse Building.  Does anyone have the details on that project?  As a whole Charlotte is really killing it on the Multi-Family Development front but needs more single family home construction too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1