Centene Campus University Research Park

KJHburg

I think this: even with the CEO change I dont think they will be growing anymore in St Louis.  They cancelled their 2nd tower there.  Depending on who the new CEO is.  I thought they chose one but maybe not.
https://investors.centene.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1009/centene-announces-leadership-succession-plan

Just build a new tower in Charlotte? AmIright? ; )
  • Like 2

I reached out to my friend and source on this again, and rather than ignore me, he said he heard again that Centene is planning to relocate their HQ out of St. Louis. He gave me no concrete date, and did not say Charlotte this time around. Who knows at this point. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Michael Neidorff, former CEO who was running the company in 2020 when it announced its decision to make its massive investment in a 2.4 million square foot Charlotte campus has died at age 79. Campus is supposed to open in Q3.  Sad news.  From his comments at various events, he seemed to be positioning himself as a major Charlotte booster.  In one set of comments, he said he and his wife were scoping out condos in Charlotte, and he appeared to hint that a Centene HQ relocation to Charlotte was a real possibility.  Sarah London has succeeded him and unclear if she has any ties to Charlotte or NC.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anybody have internal knowledge on hiring targets at Centene by year to ramp up to the incentives amount and how recruiting is going in Charlotte? I see only ~350 people report working at Centene and indicating they are based in Charlotte on LinkedIn (rough proxy). They have 1,900 positions open at the company, most completely remote, but 210 in Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

News out of St Louis from Centene from the St Louis Biz Journal   

""Centene Corp. (NYSE: CNC) is reducing 65% of its leased office space nationwide as the company balances the benefits of “in-person engagement” of employees with increased productivity and satisfaction of working remotely, executives said Friday at an investor event.  Over the past five months, the Clayton-based health care giant has surveyed all of its businesses and examined each of the corporation’s 300 locations, said Andrew “Drew” Asher, Centene’s executive vice president and chief financial officer.""

Key word here is Leased they will own this space in Charlotte.  However I would say any expansion of this office physically in my opinion wont happen. They own land across the street.  I guess now I would just want them to get to their employment targets here with is about 3000 jobs. 

• Like 4

NCPA June 16, 2022

The New Mexico Attorney General announced a $13.7 million settlement with Centene Corp. The settlement was a result of the state attorney general’s investigation of Centene’s subsidiaries’ pharmacy benefits pricing and reporting provided to the New Mexico Medicaid program. The investigation had focused on concerns that Centene was layering fees and not passing on retail discounts to New Mexico’s Medicaid program.

• 2 months later...

I guess we can shift the conversation over to here.  More details being added to the article in the Biz Journal which Ashley Fahey broke today.

""The $1 billion question: What happens with Centene’s real estate in Charlotte?
The company paid $19 million in 2020 to acquire, in two transactions, more than 130 acres in University City. That includes the parcel at 2405 Governor Hunt Road, where the first office building will soon deliver. A 51.2-acre parcel across Governor Hunt Road was purchased in quick succession in the summer of 2020, underscoring Neidorff’s earlier statements about eventually growing the campus’ real estate beyond initial projections.  Centene continues to own 134 acres in University City, CBJ confirmed by analyzing Mecklenburg County real estate records.

When asked whether the company would lease or sell its real estate — both the office building wrapping up construction and the undeveloped land it owns — Layton said Centene has begun conversations with the state of North Carolina and city and county leaders to find another company to occupy the building.  “We really want to find the right fit for all our governmental partners,” he said. “It's a first-class building, and we're proud of it. We want to make sure that it works for all parties.”  Nationally, Centene works with Cushman & Wakefield on its real estate portfolio and will work with that brokerage in marketing the lease or sale of the Charlotte campus, a company spokesperson said.  Layton said Centene will finish the office building, down to the landscaping, in the coming weeks. No additional phases have begun construction, he confirmed.""

Does sound like not one Centene employee will ever work there.

and then there is this and I got this on good authority a while back.  Centene leased space at Camp Northend but never occupied it but now it seems maybe they will finally as their only office in the area.

""Centene next year will open what Layton called a talent hub for team meetings, training and other events for area employees. The company's 37,129-square-foot lease at Camp North End near uptown will serve as the talent hub.""

I am sure the land separated from their main property will be put on the market immediately the 51.2 acres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Example of what happened in Atlanta with State Farm earlier this year.

""State Farm is retaining 6,600 employees at its Dunwoody campus, after subleasing one of the buildings to Carvana.   That confirmation comes after Carvana ((NYSE: CVNA) announced this week it was putting 3,500 jobs in one of the towers overlooking the campus. State Farm says it did not “actively market” the building for sublease, but lower real estate costs translates to lower costs for customers, according to a company spokesperson. In 2019, State Farm also sublet 350,000 square feet to Carvana in Tempe, Arizona.  Last July, State Farm announced a permanent shift toward hybrid work nationwide. That move allowed for the company’s “flexible real estate strategy,” a spokesperson said.   State Farm’s 2.2 million-square-foot campus brought more urban, walkable development to suburban Dunwoody. The first building on the campus, now occupied by Carvana, connects directly to the Dunwoody MARTA station and indicates both companies’ commitment to public transit access. State Farm employees are currently using the other two buildings, which total about 1.1 million square feet.""

So their never occupied new building in Dunwoody was quickly snapped up and totally leased.  Lets hope for another situation like this one that will end up even better for Charlotte. 

• Like 3

I am completely crushed about this!! I understand people working from home though.  But living in SW Concord I was really looking forward to the influx of jobs and people relocating. 

I actually thought this was some kind of joke at first because of the shock of what I was reading. 

Maybe relocations are becoming a choice based not on company relocations, but a choice based on simply where one wants to live. Clearly companies are letting their employees wfh . But how will this affect how Charlotte promotes itself. Strange days we are in for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1