Centene Campus University Research Park

KJHburg

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I guess the good about this is that Centene hired 700 people locally and is looking for 200 more and won't get a dollar of incentives for it. 

What makes you say that they won't get paid? I'm looking at the JDIG report when they were awarded. Target jobs: 3,237 but only 548 required as a minimum, I believe they've met their threshold. Then because it was a "Transformative Project" they were allowed to award a higher percentage of withheld taxes and a longer grant term. 

The state of NC essentially sees this as 700 people hired but can only collect 25% of the normal taxes over the next 39 years. Woohoo 700 $25k jobs for the state!! Great job ED team!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Centene got a new CEO in late March... as soon as she took over the "Wow this campus is going to be amazing and we're going to have 6,000 people someday" type of messaging stopped. Within 30 days she made a clear statement that she planned to SIGNIFICANTLY cut back on Centene's office footprint nationwide.... then they canceled a building expansion in St. Louis shortly after.... yet people in Charlotte thought we were immune even though Sarah London is never quoted being excited about the Charlotte campus like the old CEO who was a major booster. The writing was so clearly on the wall.

It probably took a few months for the teams she had re-evaluating the campus to finish their report, deliver options for what to do with the campus, the CEO to secure board of directors approvals, the media communications plan to be announced, et.... She actually covered a lot in her first 5 months and the coincidence this announcement coincides with the close delivery of the campus probably has more to do with the timing of the new CEO coming to power versus the campus construction progress itself. 

The old CEO dying was a huge blow. This would have turned out even bigger

• Like 4

Here is what the Governor had to say about all this and I will hand it to Centene they flew to Raleigh and Charlotte to tell locals that is was cancelled which is a lot better than many companies when things like happen.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/08/19/gov-roy-cooper-centene-east-coast-hub-real-estate.html

from a Q and A with the Governor:    (emphasis mine) 

""No state or local incentives have been paid out. What do you take from that? In other words, is that the right structure and did you make the right offer to Centene?

Yes, we did. I think it’s important to note that most of our incentives are on the back end, they are performance-based. You have to create the jobs you say you’re going to create, at at least the salary that you say you’re going to pay. And you don’t get credit for that until it happens. So, no incentives have been paid here. And I think these performance-based incentives are the right way for us to approach this in getting better paying jobs for our state.

And did you or anyone make any attempt to change their minds?

First, I think it’s important to know, it’s clear that this decision had nothing to do with Charlotte and North Carolina and everything to do with Centene’s radical workforce footprint changes. They told us that their employees were being more productive in a work-from-home environment. And that they more than anything had dictated this change. 

They told us that they would be reducing their real estate footprint about 70% across the country. When you do that, it’s obvious that you don’t need a new $550 million campus that you’ve just built in Charlotte. 

I did question them significantly about this workforce model and how permanent it was. I told them that we’re still coming out of the pandemic. And it may be that they could have second thoughts about this model. 

And I encouraged them to give it a year before making this decision in order to see if this is the kind of model that you know will really work for your company. They had done the analysis. Pandemic or not, I think they were committed to this remote work environment where they’re going to have 90% of their workforce work from home. So, I don’t think that there was any changing their minds about this at that point.""

This is our mega site for this area and should and I think it will get that kind of attention from state EDPNC and CRBA.  

• Like 4

Problems never seem to end for Centene:

NCPA August 26, 2022

The Washington State Attorney General last week announced that Centene would pay the state a whopping $33.3 million for overcharging Medicaid. Attorney General Bob Ferguson called this Medicaid fraud recovery “the second-largest in state history.” The breakdown of settlement: $19 million to the state of Washington, $13.3 million for the federal portion for administration of state Medicaid program, and $1 million to the whistleblower. This happened while there is an ongoing battle between Washington’s Medicaid managed care pharmacy program and pharmacists over Medicaid dispensing fees that are well below the national average. Centene’s settlement with Washington state over fraudulent practices in Medicaid is far from its first. In the last two years, Centene has entered into similar settlements with Mississippi, Kansas, New Hampshire, Ohio, New Mexico, Arkansas, and Illinois.

NCPA
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Hornets said:

I still think Wells Fargo swoops in, and claims this Estate!

that is my bet for an "in market tenant" as Wells leases in excess of 200K sq ft in the university area in addition to their massive 2 M sq ft facility on WT Harris Blvd. plus banks like to own their space think BofA, Truist and other Wells owned building uptown.  

• Like 3

On 9/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, RANYC said:

I hope this gets an out of market tenant and is another chance to continue to diversify the economy.  I want a massive biotech/life sciences firm to lease this for research.

That's exactly the type of businesses what we need more of here in Charlotte 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NCPA September 26, 2022

Yet another state has entered into a settlement agreement with Centene. The latest: Texas had entered into a $165.6 million settlement with Centene for overcharges to the state’s Medicaid program. This is the largest state settlement with Centene to date. This is on the heels of the announcement by the Washington state attorney general that Centene would pay the state $33.3 million for overcharging Medicaid. This happened while there is an ongoing battle between Washington’s Medicaid managed care pharmacy program and pharmacists over Medicaid dispensing fees that are well below the national average. Centene’s settlements with Texas and Washington state over fraudulent practices follow similar settlements with Mississippi, Kansas, New Hampshire, Ohio, New Mexico, Arkansas, and Illinois. Additionally, there are likely several unnamed states that have entered or will enter into a settlement agreement. To date, Centene has paid $475 million to states for Medicaid overcharges. In 2021, it was announced that Centene had put aside $1.25 billion for settlements with states.

NCPA
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

from the St Louis Biz Journal and Centene is dumping a lot of office space there too   

""Real estate firm JLL said Centene, the Clayton health care giant and St. Louis' largest public company, in the third quarter gave back upwards of 750,000 square feet across multiple buildings as it shifts to a work-from-home model.

The report didn't identify all the affected buildings, and JLL said it could not "discuss Centene's efforts." Centene didn't respond to requests for comment.

But JLL said one of the newer buildings Centene "will vacate," its 27-story tower at 7676 Forsyth Blvd., "has leases pending with several tenants."

"As a result, Centene Plaza C is expected to be backfilled by early next year," the report said.""

Good luck with the all from home model hope it works for them.  

when someone finds or sees the marketing brochure on their Charlotte building please post it. 

all I see is this

https://www.commercialcafe.com/commercial-property/us/nc/charlotte/centene-regional-hedquarter/

• Like 4

from the St Louis Biz Journal and Centene is dumping a lot of office space there too   
""Real estate firm JLL said Centene, the Clayton health care giant and St. Louis' largest public company, in the third quarter gave back upwards of 750,000 square feet across multiple buildings as it shifts to a work-from-home model.
The report didn't identify all the affected buildings, and JLL said it could not "discuss Centene's efforts." Centene didn't respond to requests for comment.
But JLL said one of the newer buildings Centene "will vacate," its 27-story tower at 7676 Forsyth Blvd., "has leases pending with several tenants."
"As a result, Centene Plaza C is expected to be backfilled by early next year," the report said.""
Good luck with the all from home model hope it works for them.  
when someone finds or sees the marketing brochure on their Charlotte building please post it. 
all I see is this
https://www.commercialcafe.com/commercial-property/us/nc/charlotte/centene-regional-hedquarter/

Something has to budge with all those lawsuits
  • Haha 1