Pinnacle at 31st Street (Under Construction)

vdogg

• vdogg pinned this topic

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

So apartments only. No mixed use   ?

I must admit it’s a great place for mixed use. There are plenty of people living nearby in condos and apartments that would patronize said shops. 

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

There's tons of shops and restaurants on that corridor that are max 1-2 min walk from the apartments. Not everything has to be mixed use so long as it's located in a mixed use district. This will really drive up activity on the 31st Street corridor and will be great for nearby businesses.

• Like 1

If the city lets this be built without retail along Laskin, that will be a major missed opportunity to create an active corridor. This building should be designed more like the Summer House Apartments that is only one block away from this site. This stretch of road should be mostly lined with 5 story apartment buildings with commercial spaces all along Laskin. Hopefully that gets corrected before they break ground with this building. 

• Like 2

I drove through that area last night. That side of VB is more active than I thought, so I dunno if this one not having retail/commercial is the worst thing in the world. But, if it gives the locals a reason to avoid "The Strip", I agree it would be nice.

• Like 1

I wrote to Mr. Williams to inquire as to whether there was any possibility of getting some mixed use going here. Here is his response:
[email protected]> wrote: 

Thank you for your email. The City does not own the parcel on 31st Street and is not an investor or partner in the project.

The project is a by-right development that will need to adhere to all applicable building and zoning codes and the Comprehensive Plan.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ronald H. Williams, Jr.

Deputy City Manager

On 7/10/2020 at 4:07 PM, baobabs727 said:
I wrote to Mr. Williams to inquire as to whether there was any possibility of getting some mixed use going here. Here is his response:
[email protected]> wrote: 

Thank you for your email. The City does not own the parcel on 31st Street and is not an investor or partner in the project.

The project is a by-right development that will need to adhere to all applicable building and zoning codes and the Comprehensive Plan.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ronald H. Williams, Jr.

Deputy City Manager

That really showcases how bad the zoning is for the city, especially in this area. This stretch of road should have been required to have it dedicated mostly to commercial space along the first floor to help stimulate a new urban commercial corridor.

• Like 4

Planning application was submitted July 16th.

The Pinnacle on 31st Street
A proposed 7-story, 240-unit apartment community development that includes a 5- story, 300,000 sf residential apartment over a 2-story, 170,000 sf parking garage, along with the construction of all necessary infrastructure for the project including public utilities and underground stormwater storage.”

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • vdogg changed the title to Pinnacle at 31st Street (Under Construction)
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...