The Peninsula

vladittude0583

Isn't it true that the Peninsula's site has already been cleared? B/c I went there like a few days after they announced the start on the Peninsula but I didn't even see the site being cleared for construction yet? Anyways, if it has been cleared, when will we start seeing the actual building itself? Also, are they still on track to build the office tower after the Strand & Peninsula, or is it going to coincide along the Peninsula as it gets developed along the way? Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third Tower???

I thought it was only going to be two... Strand and Peninsula... How tall is the third suppose to be...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The old rendering had a short office tower (maybe 13 floors including parking?) directly south of the Peninsula. But, as lakelander said, they've decided to make it a residential tower too. No timeframe for construction at all, yet.

Just a funny little bit about the Peninsula site construction:

On my last visit to Jax, my cousin and I were walking the Riverwalk, and decided to "sneak" into the small space that sits in between the Strand and the Riverplace parking garage. It wasn't fenced in or anything. You could see the two-story lobby in there, and where the elevators were going to be.

Funny thing, is as we emerged from our secret spot, a Riverwalk security attendant saw us. We just said hello and kept walking like nothing suspicious was up. He was so cool about it, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know exactly what's the proposed timetable for The Strand to be fully vertical? It seems like it takes forever for them to build one floor. Are they doing like two floors per month or one floor per month? I'm assuming that it's taking long probably because of the first nine floors I believe which will make up the footprint of the building in addition to having the pool on top of the ninth floor which is what I'm taking is making it so long to build each floor right now. Given that San Marco Place will have each floor being built every week is really super fast compared to The Strand. Does anyone know information concerning this? Thanks.

I don't have any new information, but you are dead right ... the Strand is sloooooow, even for concrete. Two floors per month is about right for their pace so far.

I'm glad to hear that SMP will be a floor per week (they've taken over a month on the foundation/first floor so far, but I assume it'll speed up after that). What's your source for the floor per week number?

I don't have any new information, but you are dead right ... the Strand is sloooooow, even for concrete. Two floors per month is about right for their pace so far.

I'm glad to hear that SMP will be a floor per week (they've taken over a month on the foundation/first floor so far, but I assume it'll speed up after that). What's your source for the floor per week number?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe I read it on some article not too long ago but I can't remember where and that I believe "lakelander" had also mentioned it too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was mentioned by 951driver in this thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11649

That was mentioned by 951driver in this thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11649

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrmm... Unless I read that wrong, he also claimed that SMP will be taller than then Strand. Which would be blatantly false since they are 22 and 28 floors, respectively.

Also, check out the webcam ... http://sanmarco.thehaskellco.com/1/video.html

Workers have been scurrying around SMP for about two weeks. But I haven't seen any physical change in the construction at all. I guess "a watched pot never boils," huh ;)

Hrmm... Unless I read that wrong, he also claimed that SMP will be taller than then Strand. Which would be blatantly false since they are 22 and 28 floors, respectively.

Also, check out the webcam ... http://sanmarco.thehaskellco.com/1/video.html

Workers have been scurrying around SMP for about two weeks. But I haven't seen any physical change in the construction at all. I guess "a watched pot never boils," huh ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow the link to the webcam is not linking or working properly; no pic comes up....help!!!!!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Somehow the link to the webcam is not linking or working properly; no pic comes up....help!!!!!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might not have the right java applet on your web browser. I don't really know what to suggest beyond that.

But don't worry. It's just a bunch of 1 story concrete piles at this point. Plus, once it gets really vertical, you'll be able to see it from the news4jax.com towercam.

Sounds like these guys are serious about more projects. Hopefully they will try something out on the northbank despite the curse. Maybe they will be able to turn things around for that side of the river also. Can't wait to hear more!

Thats cool to read...

Glad to hear they are planning on after the strand/peninsula. (atleast that is what it soulds like.)

Who know, since space is starting to become so limited, maybe we will see a 40 story residental buidling out of them...

Crossing fingers...

Cheers

Sounds like these guys are serious about more projects.  Hopefully they will try something out on the northbank despite the curse.  Maybe they will be able to turn things around for that side of the river also.  Can't wait to hear more!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

judging by the bloke's statement that the condo market will continue to be hot for a while, "especially on the southbank", it would be my guess that the next project will probably be on the southbank also...and that it will be a residential project.

I really hope its residental. (and Big) Dont get me wron, i would love to see a new office sky scrapper go up, but more than that, I want to see people WALKING on the streets as a regular thing downtown after 5pm.

CROWD 'EM IN!!!

Cheers

I agree Josh! Some of the greatest pics I've seen of downtown Jax are from the fifty's where the streets are packed with people.

JaxInvestor, your probably right about the further investment in the southbank, but I'm hoping someone competant will take the charge for the northbank and get something built already!

Just want to let anyone who's interested: I drove by the St. John's Center today (6/23/05) and from what I saw, they're now constructing the 9th floor of The Strand! It's finished all the way up to the 8th floor now and they're probably halfway through the 9th floor. Furthermore, you can kind of see the foundations for The Peninsula now too. They have the cranes similar to what they're using right now at San Marco Place over at The Peninsula site. I can't wait until these towers are done, they'll definitely add some definition to Jacksonville's skyline especially in the Southbank.

Archived