Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

17 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

We’ll, not to be a downer, but CoStar’s details on their own site have this tower at 425’. 
https://www.costar.com/article/508382584/costar-group-plans-460-million-campus-expansion-in-richmond

“At 425 feet tall, the main tower could become the tallest building in Richmond when it is slated to be completed in 2024. The current title holder, the 449-foot James Monroe Building at 101 N. 14th St., is being eyed for demolition.”

Someone has their information all wrong...so what will it be 425' or 510'?  If 425' this would be very anti-climatic!  Ugh!  I knew that rendering just didn't look like 510' to me...unless it's the topography making it look significantly shorter.  I don't know what to think anymore....  Thanks for bringing on the confusion Coupe! :D

I think RBS is the only publication saying 510'.  They may just have it all wrong.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay - here's my question:

BOTH RBS AND the RTD reported the building will be 510' tall. RTD was at the presser this morning. Am guessing RBS was as well.

From RBS:

The new building would be not only the tallest building in the city, but also in the entire state. At 510 feet, CoStar’s tower would barely edge out the commonwealth’s current tallest building, the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, which per high-rise database SkyscraperPage, reaches 508 feet.

From the RTD:

The new CoStar tower will be 510 feet tall, surpassing the James Monroe state office tower at 101 N. 14th St., which is 449 feet tall or 29 floors, according to Skyscraperpage's website. Dominion Energy Inc.'s new 600 Canal Place building at 111 S. Sixth St. is 417 feet tall or 20 floors.

I'm at a loss how the two major news outlets could have this one number (510) and CoStar is reporting only 425. Is it possible that 425 was an old figure and somehow is a misprint on their page?

WTVR-6 News doesn't mention feet - but mentions it will be the tallest on the skyline (and I would tend to think that's not presuming anything happening to the Monroe building)

A 26-story LEED-certified office building will also be developed near CoStar’s current site, making it the tallest building in the Richmond skyline.

So what gives I wonder?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

QUESTION:

Is it possible there are two figures being used to measure the building? From the north face, the "tower" part looks like it begins at the top of the "podium" -- which itself looks like it's at least 3 or 4 stories tall. On the south face, there does not look like there is any real delineation between the structures. Is the news media perhaps counting the ENTIRE structure, whereas CoStar is measuring ONLY from the part ABOVE the podium?

Idk -- I'm just pulling at straws trying to come up with some kind of understanding. If it's semantics - then it really sucks if it actually impacts the OFFICIAL height of the building. Of course, it would suck even more if that 510' was simply a number that got pulled out of the air (I still don't get how two major media outlets could get that same number and get it wrong) -- and the building actually is only going to be 425' tall. Ugh...  That's 85-feet difference. 

Tower-podiumN.jpg

Tower-PodiumS.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I don’t know, but I hope I don’t end up less happy than I was earlier today.  This is just maddening.  How can two heights be published?  I think there are a lot more details we still have to learn, but we will likely have to live with this “cliffhanger” all weekend long!  As for me, I’m going to scale back my happiness a bit just so that I’m not devastated come next week if 425 is the number. 

Edited by eandslee

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I don’t know, but I hope I don’t end up less happy than I was earlier today.  This is just maddening.  How can two heights be published?  I think there are a lot more details we still have to learn, but we will likely have to live with this “cliffhanger” all weekend long!  As for me, I’m going to scale back my happiness a bit just so that im not devastated come next week if 425 is the number. 

Well, one way we'll know for sure - if either RBS or the RTD publish a correction, which they would have to do.

• Like 1

I'm confused too.  Is 425 feet highest occupiable space without the top?  Yes something is not adding up here.  what is the actual elevation of this site above sea level?  did someone read the plans wrong and it said 510 above sea level?   Is  that site 85 feet above sea level or much higher?  

and is the state considering knocking down the James Monroe building?  what is wrong with it?   Is that Costar press release had old information in it why would everyone including local govt. officials saying new tallest?  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

I wonder if there exists a recording of the entire press conference and announcement from this morning? The figure 510' feet and tallest in the state HAD to have come from SOMEWHERE. Or were there any kind of media handouts, I wonder? There HAS to be SOMETHING where that 510-foot figure is out there such that the reporters for the RTD and RBS would have picked up that number. AND - as a former journalist, I can guarantee you, those reporters -- once the number was quoted -- either in a printed handout, on a slide, or verbalized by one of the officials presenting the information, given the significance of the number and the significance of the fact that the building would be the tallest in the city AND the state -- those reporters would have followed up with a question to confirm it. I guarantee you they would not have just let the number go unconfirmed, even if it was "official". A good journalist is trained to question EVERYTHING and get EVERYTHING confirmed before committing it to press. This 510-foot figure is HUGE - and the significance of it is HUGE. Those reporters would have followed up to confirm it before publishing it. Idk -85 feet is a HUGE miss. I can't possibly fathom both RBS and the RTD would get this wrong.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I'm confused too.  Is 425 feet highest occupiable space without the top?  Yes something is not adding up here.  what is the actual elevation of this site above sea level?  did someone read the plans wrong and it said 510 above sea level?   Is  that site 85 feet above sea level or much higher?  

and is the state considering knocking down the James Monroe building?  what is wrong with it?   Is that Costar press release had old information in it why would everyone including local govt. officials saying new tallest?  

It makes no sense. Elevation (according to our data here on UP RVA) is 21m -- 69 feet -- at center tower. So at 425 we'd be looking AT best at 494 feet "observed" height (presumably above sea level) -- so even THAT's coming in 16 feet below the 510' quoted.

I'd like to know WHO quoted the figure of 510' feet -- where was it sourced by RBS and the RTD? Was it in a printed handout? On one of the informational displays? Did someone from CoStar mention that figure? Or did a city or state official erroneously quote that figure? That number has a source - it wasn't merely pulled out of thin air for two news organizations to get it. And again, if the reporters are actually worth their professional chops, they would have followed up to VERIFY that 510' figure as being correct before publishing it.  Even WTVR TV -- News6 -- while not mentioning specific height - DID say that the building would be the tallest on the skyline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

We’ll, not to be a downer, but CoStar’s details on their own site have this tower at 425’. 
https://www.costar.com/article/508382584/costar-group-plans-460-million-campus-expansion-in-richmond

“At 425 feet tall, the main tower could become the tallest building in Richmond when it is slated to be completed in 2024. The current title holder, the 449-foot James Monroe Building at 101 N. 14th St., is being eyed for demolition.”

Can anyone ask for clarification? As someone from Raleigh, I hope it's 500+ to embarrass my city's lack of tall ambitions.

47 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I wonder if there exists a recording of the entire press conference and announcement from this morning? The figure 510' feet and tallest in the state HAD to have come from SOMEWHERE. Or were there any kind of media handouts, I wonder? There HAS to be SOMETHING where that 510-foot figure is out there such that the reporters for the RTD and RBS would have picked up that number. AND - as a former journalist, I can guarantee you, those reporters -- once the number was quoted -- either in a printed handout, on a slide, or verbalized by one of the officials presenting the information, given the significance of the number and the significance of the fact that the building would be the tallest in the city AND the state -- those reporters would have followed up with a question to confirm it. I guarantee you they would not have just let the number go unconfirmed, even if it was "official". A good journalist is trained to question EVERYTHING and get EVERYTHING confirmed before committing it to press. This 510-foot figure is HUGE - and the significance of it is HUGE. Those reporters would have followed up to confirm it before publishing it. Idk -85 feet is a HUGE miss. I can't possibly fathom both RBS and the RTD would get this wrong.

According to a story in The Washington Post by The Associated Press,  the new CoStar HQ will be 510 feet / 155 meters tall, surpassing the James Monroe state office tower to become RVA's tallest skyscraper.   The story was last updated at 6:16 p.m. EST.

Link:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/costar-to-build-26-story-office-tower-in-downtown-richmond/2021/12/17/6c943c04-5f8f-11ec-b1ef-cb78be717f0e_story.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Just searched around alittle to check other sources. Usnews also reported that it will be 510,  the costar report seems to be the only thing saying that it will be 425.

Notice where US News got that - from The Associated Press. So that's THREE well-respected news organization who are handling ORIGINAL reporting from the press conference:  The Associated Press, the Richmond Times-Dispatch AND Richmond BizSense.

Unless someone was just flat out erroneous in quoting figures on the presentation side, there is NO way three MAJOR news organizations ALL get this wrong. Now - I'm not sure if the AP got the feed from the RTD - keep in mind that the RTD is a member news organization that feeds the AP local news. HOWEVER - for a significant event like this -- especially since it was attended by the governor and other state officials as well as CoStar and city officials --  it would not be completely out of the ordinary for the AP to have staffed the announcement, especially considering that the reporter would have only had to have walked a few blocks from the AP bureau at 600 E. Main. I covered odds and ends like that all the time when I was an AP reporter back in the '80s.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Real estate information and analytics firm CoStar Group plans to invest $460 million to expand on a new campus in Richmond that will include a 26-story office building, Gov. Ralph Northam announced Friday.

The new campus includes 750,000 square feet (nearly 70,000 square meters) of new office and retail space and is expected to add 2,000 to 3,000 new jobs, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. The company's founder and Chief Executive Officer Andrew Florance said construction is set to begin some time next year and is expected to finish by 2024.

The new tower will be 510 feet (155 meters) tall, surpassing the James Monroe state office tower, to become the city’s tallest skyscraper.

“(CoStar's) continued success is a direct result of our attractive business climate and dynamic workforce found across the state,” Gov. Ralph Northam said in a statement Friday.

The new campus will sit adjacent to the nine-story building acquired by the company earlier this year. In addition to the 26-story office tower, CoStar also plans to construct a six-story, multipurpose building to house employee amenities, including conference facilities, fitness and wellness, auditorium, and mixed-use retail and restaurant spaces.

Richmond is a growing community with access to a deep pool of diverse, highly-skilled workers, a vibrant culture of innovation and a wonderful quality of life for our existing and future employees,” Florance said.

The corporation moved its global research headquarters to Richmond in late 2016, acquiring the building next to the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond’s office tower for $130 million, according to the Times-Dispatch.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

Also, I just triple checked the RBS article and it still shows 510 feet despite the fact that the article has been significantly updated to include an approximate groundbreaking timeframe of mid to late 2022.  Seems a bit late to me, but okay…maybe they’ll build it pretty quickly to make a 2024 deadline. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/17/breaking-news-costar-announces-plans-for-massive-new-riverfront-office-complex/

Another possible thought - 510 feet from the bottom of the shorter building to the top of the tower?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Also, I just triple checked the RBS article and it still shows 510 feet despite the fact that the article has been significantly updated to include an approximate groundbreaking timeframe of mid to late 2022.  Seems a bit late to me, but okay…maybe they’ll build it pretty quickly to make a 2024 deadline. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/17/breaking-news-costar-announces-plans-for-massive-new-riverfront-office-complex/

From the timeline standpoint - say they break ground next summer - six months from announcement isn't bad at all. CoStar still hasn't selected a general contractor - so there's a lot of work yet to do. If they get a 2024 delivery - it could be late 2024 - and if not - early 2025... notice that Andrew Florence says "hopes for a 2024 delivery..."  All of which is totally cool. My only two hopes - 1.) build the damn thing. 2.) give us the full 510-foot-tall tower!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

I almost wonder if this rendering is shorter than the 510 feet? I wonder if something changed to make it 510 maybe the rendering is wrong and the rendering is 425. To me it looks like the rendering is definitely 425 and not 510. I think the height went up after the rendering came out. 

That's VERY possible. And it's also possible that the CoStar webpage simply hasn't been updated yet, changing the 425' to 510' -- (or that could simply be an oversight). Perhaps 510' IS the correct number - and the current rendering is an older rendering at 425' - and either 1.) a new rendering hasn't come out yet - or - 2.) there won't be a new rendering because the building would simply be "bigger" somehow. I don't know how that would work - but who knows...  

Now earlier, I DID try counting floors - and the 26th seems right up there near the very top of the building - so I wonder if it's possible that this was an old rendering not accounting for 26 floors PLUS crown - I would tend to think that the crown would extend up several floors to hide/contain all the mechanicals, etc. IT wouid not be unreasonable for the crown to extend up another three or four floors. If the 26th floor was located below what appears to be the base of the crown, then I'd say there's some argument for 425 being the correct figure - BUT - it looks like the 26th floor is JUST BELOW the roofline.

I really don't think three major news organizations pulled the 510'-foot figure out of a hat. That's got to be a valid number somehow. PLUS - you'd figure CoStar would clap back if the reporting was wrong that the size of the tower was misquoted in the press. And if someone mentioned in the presentation that "this building will be the tallest in the city" or "tallest in the state" - I can't possibly imagine the CoStar folks NOT standing up and correcting that if it wasn't the case.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Most news outlet’s simply regurgitate news from other news source’s. So if the originator was wrong, the other stories would be wrong too.  There was another image of the 3-D model where the height’s were a bit closer to the height of the new Dominion tower. Not like a 3-D model is 100%  proof of what’s being built. 

• Like 3

It makes me feel better if I just think that the rendering is just shorter than what was announced today.  Maybe 425’ was what was thought to be the height, models and renderings were made, but then it was decided to go up to 510 feet. It would cost too much and take too much time to update the renderings, therefore we saw what we saw today with an announced 510’ height.   That’s what I’m going with for now. It will help me sleep tonight anyway…plus, it makes sense to me.  There are so many articles in the web that are saying that this will be the state’s new tallest.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, skinsfan said:

Most news outlet’s simply regurgitate news from other news source’s. So if the originator was wrong, the other stories would be wrong too.  There was another image of the 3-D model where the height’s were a bit closer to the height of the new Dominion tower. Not like a 3-D model is 100%  proof of what’s being built. 

Exactly right - especially if said news outlets simply pull whatever moves across the AP wire and that's that. And if the AP simply got this from the RTD -- because the RTD is a member newspaper and unless the AP felt a need to actually staff this announcement (no idea if they would or wouldn't) they'd be relying on the info coming from the RTD -- then we still have to go all the way back to how that 510-foot figure was sourced. I'd like to know if there is a recording extant of the event. Are there any handouts? If we can find out the source, then our minds might be eased a bit. Because an 85-foot miss is a BIG miss -- and to report that the building will be the tallest in the state -- if in fact that's not the case - is a HUGE "GFE" in journalistic terms - "gross factual error" -- and even if it was one of the speakers who was in error, it's up to the reporter to verify facts like "this building will surpass the Monroe Tower and become the tallest in the state, yada yada..."

This may require a direct reachout to the RTD, RBS and/or CoStar to get some clarification. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 4