Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

Does anyone have any insight on when construction will start on this new tower?  For some reason, I was thinking that it would begin this month, but that's obviously wrong.  I guess the answer is this summer sometime?  Doesn't anyone have anything more concrete?

Edited by eandslee

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Does anyone have any insight on when construction will start on this new tower?  For some reason, I was thinking that it would begin this month, but that's obviously wrong.  I guess the answer is this summer sometime?  Doesn't anyone have anything more concrete?

I could well be wrong on this - but I thought I remembered hearing Q3 bantied about a couple of months ago. At some point in the summer. Idk why but I've had August stuck in my head for a while now.

51 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

Their  Costar site has a September groundbreaking  timeframe and delivery in 2024.

By chance do you have the link? I'm looking but can't find anything specific on their website -- plus they have SO much stuff on their site that it's a ton to sift through to find something other than the news releases from last December when they made their big splashy announcement.

12 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

You have to subscribe to use the link but here is a screen shot 

image.thumb.png.367a961b72757ae7d20371d126f72a75.png

You are awesome, my friend! Thanks so much! :tw_thumbsup:

Ahhh yeah - I forget some of these sites require subscription - obviously meant more for industry insiders as opposed to consumption by the general public.

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Well, that’s a lot later than I thought. I guess meeting the summertime groundbreaking wasn’t something they could achieve.  Oh well, I’ll stop intently looking for some construction movement then.  At least now I know. Thanks!

Same here! I'll just keep enjoying the lavender trees when the camera view is from the VAWM. :tw_smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know it’s not that far off…I’m just wanting to get this thing built before something catastrophic happens to the economy or some other factor that would prevent this tower from being built…or risk it being reduced in size.  A lot can happen in two months these days.  Makes me nervous.  I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

They have a ton of cash I think the probability it low. Just keep in mind why they came to Richmond instead of another city in the first place as things start to play out on the recent Supreme Court ruling. It could be a factor depending on how it plays out in Virginia … I’m really not trying to go there in this venue, just a reminder. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

They have a ton of cash I think the probability it low. Just keep in mind why they came to Richmond instead of another city in the first place as things start to play out on the recent Supreme Court ruling. It could be a factor depending on how it plays out in Virginia … I’m really not trying to go there in this venue, just a reminder. 

Agreed on all points, Coupe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, that’s a lot later than I thought. I guess meeting the summertime groundbreaking wasn’t something they could achieve.

Unless they break ground in the last week, September is still summer.

• Like 4

Okay - as we head into a super slowdown period of the July 4th holiday weekend, a fun question for everyone:  With the excitement of two new tower cranes (Commodore in Manchester and Parc View in Monroe Ward) having popped up over the city (even as other cranes - such as at the Tidewater -- are coming down) - and the understanding that CoStar should be breaking ground for their HQ complex in a couple of months, when tower cranes are erected for that project, what's the over/under on HOW MANY cranes will be on hand to build CoStar? The obvious number is two - Dominion's tower required two cranes. The new VCU outpatient hospital needed two. The Children's Hospital expansion had two. So it stands to reason that CoStar will have -- minimally -- two. HOWEVER - since there are essentially TWO buildings being constructed, is there a chance we might see THREE cranes on the CoStar site? And if so - would all three be tower cranes - or would we see two tower and one mobile crane? Personally, I'm hoping they go all-in and erect three tower cranes (I realize that's more cost... but still...)

Thoughts?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Okay - as we head into a super slowdown period of the July 4th holiday weekend, a fun question for everyone:  With the excitement of two new tower cranes (Commodore in Manchester and Parc View in Monroe Ward) having popped up over the city (even as other cranes - such as at the Tidewater -- are coming down) - and the understanding that CoStar should be breaking ground for their HQ complex in a couple of months, when tower cranes are erected for that project, what's the over/under on HOW MANY cranes will be on hand to build CoStar? The obvious number is two - Dominion's tower required two cranes. The new VCU outpatient hospital needed two. The Children's Hospital expansion had two. So it stands to reason that CoStar will have -- minimally -- two. HOWEVER - since there are essentially TWO buildings being constructed, is there a chance we might see THREE cranes on the CoStar site? And if so - would all three be tower cranes - or would we see two tower and one mobile crane? Personally, I'm hoping they go all-in and erect three tower cranes (I realize that's more cost... but still...)

Thoughts?

I would bet that one of the two cranes would be positioned as to reach both the tower and the shorter structure.  I imagine both will not be under the same phase of construction during the same period of time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I would bet that one of the two cranes would be positioned as to reach both the tower and the shorter structure.  I imagine both will not be under the same phase of construction during the same period of time.

Pretty much the game plan that was in place for the Dominion construction, if memory serves. One was positioned on the Canal Street side and handled the tower - the other was closer to Cary Street and did everything else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

SWEET!!! Yeah - Dubai is a live-action version of Cities: Skylines :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

Dubai…good thing I misspelled  that in my original post, no wonder the spell check didn’t like it and good thing I didn’t allow it to auto correct for me cause I know how to spell that. :tw_lol:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Hike said:

Well this is going to be sweet plus with Costar all happening simultaneously, busy areas starting this fall..

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/14/7500-capacity-riverfront-amphitheater-planned-for-downtown-tredegar-hillside

image.thumb.jpeg.519d87ecff6075d1c2c3830e458925ff.jpeg

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to read about it this morning.  However, my first three thoughts were:

1) Why only 7,500 capacity?  If they’re going to build an amphitheater, build it big so that the big bands and performers will come. There’s no way this venue is going to compete with the very large outdoor amphitheaters in VA Beach and NOVA. 

2) Why is there no roof on this thing?  People are going to fry in the hot sun or drown in the rain. 

3) The O Hill folks are going to freak out with the loud music late at night (or anytime for that matter). Expect them to fight this tooth and nail.

Personally, outside of the points I mentioned above, I like the design and this will bring much to the atmosphere on the riverfront.  And man, the view of the downtown skyline will be sweet!  Just hope the city pulls through to get the required permits going in time for construction to start and stay in schedule!

• Like 2