Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

Awesome news and happy to see this finally kick off, finally. Does any one else wonder how this huge project will be done by, they say by 2024, not in 2024. That’s already under 14 months, seems like a schedule that’s going to be difficult to meet, but hey, if they can pull it off, go get ‘em.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

Your guess would be correct -- our story on it will be up tomorrow morning. 

Awesome! Thanks, Mike!

As a former journalist, I know it's not always possible to staff every event - but big ceremonies like these are few and far between. I figured you would be there! :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jbjust said:

I know, that's the same schedule that Dominion has proposed for its parking lot!

There’s a house in our neighborhood that did an addition that took 14 months, at least.

Found this on RVA Reddit where the project was mentioned, this is Costars announcement.

http://www.costargroup.com/costar-news/details/costar-group-breaks-ground-on-campus-expansion-in-richmond

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Interesting point noted in CoStar News’ article, CoStar will have 1.2 million SF of office space in Richmond once the tower is completed. They have 170k SF in DC. Could an official HQ relocation be in play at some point? It would be more symbolic at this point as it seems Richmond is where they are focusing their growth currently and in the future. 

This is a very good question and one I can’t answer, but it would seem that they would want to relocate their HQ to Richmond.  However, I’m sure there are, at least, a couple factors that keep the HQ in DC:  for one, I’m sure corporate personnel are probably content with where they live in the DC area (there’s more to do there, more opportunity for kids, etc.), and the other (probably one of the biggest) reasons I can think of is that there are more easy and convenient travel options out of the 2 major airports in the DC area.  RIC just can’t compete with the variety of destinations served from IAD and DCA. Hopefully, that changes over time, but I would assume that corporate HQs need access to many worldwide destinations via air to conduct business travel. There may be other factors as well.

I think they only lease their HQ building up in DC, so they don’t own anything there or have some personal real estate investments in the area (that I’m aware of), so that could lend to them moving the HQ to Richmond. Who knows what will happen…especially after the corporate personnel see the new, more posh digs in Richmond when it’s finally completed!  After they see this nice tower, the corporate personnel may just give Richmond a chance!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This is a very good question and one I can’t answer, but it would seem that they would want to relocate their HQ to Richmond.  However, I’m sure there are, at least, a couple factors that keep the HQ in DC:  for one, I’m sure corporate personnel are probably content with where they live in the DC area (there’s more to do there, more opportunity for kids, etc.), and the other (probably one of the biggest) reasons I can think of is that there are more easy and convenient travel options out of the 2 major airports in the DC area.  RIC just can’t compete with the variety of destinations served from IAD and DCA. Hopefully, that changes over time, but I would assume that corporate HQs need access to many worldwide destinations via air to conduct business travel. There may be other factors as well.

I think they only lease their HQ building up in DC, so they don’t own anything there or have some personal real estate investments in the area (that I’m aware of), so that could lend to them moving the HQ to Richmond. Who knows what will happen…especially after the corporate personnel see the new, more posh digs in Richmond when it’s finally completed!  After they see this nice tower, the corporate personnel may just give Richmond a chance!

Just being able to say you have a DC HQ has significance and I’m not sure RVA can compare to. In a global market like they’re in, that probably carries a lot of weight, and for now, that reason alone could keep it there. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

Not sure where to put this (I couldn’t find a better thread), but shouldn’t this amphitheater project be starting before Thanksgiving?  I thought that was the stipulation of the developer. Are we seeing any movement down there or is there a way to check city records on the status?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/14/7500-capacity-riverfront-amphitheater-planned-for-downtown-tredegar-hillside/

85C6F05A-7E83-4A04-9F30-4BB54881A40F.jpeg

Edited by eandslee

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

CoStar is too fancy for chainlink…

9CD86B58-4FA7-422F-AC7D-87C08A1F77E2.jpeg

2A7C4FDB-C510-4E99-8154-045A2EA19D1B.jpeg

Wow!  You’re not kidding!  Fancy wood fence!  Unfortunately, that rock wall in the second photo is usually where my wife sits as I run the half marathon that takes place next Saturday.  I guess she’ll have to set up on the other side of the road now.  A willing compromise for a new awesome addition to the skyline!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  You’re not kidding!  Fancy wood fence!  Unfortunately, that rock wall in the second photo is usually where my wife sits as I run the half marathon that takes place next Saturday.  I guess she’ll have to set up on the other side of the road now.  A willing compromise for a new awesome addition to the skyline!

We all have to sacrifice a bit for the betterment of Richmond's skyline, my brother! :tw_wink:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Just to keep some conversation going during this slow time:  

I did hear from a friend who has some ties, that CoStar will be starting construction in earnest (the bigger dig) after the holidays and anticipates tower crane(s) install about the February/March timeframe.  I think they’ve just been amassing equipment and getting things ready up to this point - the calm before the storm, if you will. 

Excellent news! Thanks SO much for the update, @eandslee! This nugget is a really cool pre-Christmas gift, to be sure! My only question: if they start actual construction in earnest in early January - is February/March a bit optimistic to expect erection of tower cranes? Given the size of the tower and the complex, there's gonna be a LOT of foundational work to be done before this bad boy comes up out of the ground. I'm just curious if they can get all of that work done in the span of two months, particularly given that we're heading into winter?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Quoting a pair of famous, classic early-rock-N-roll songs: Goodness gracious, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - there's a WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN' goin' on - over at CoStar.

Brand new pictures - hot off the press. HUMBLE thanks to @Child2021for taking these photos!

20230109_200222.jpg.2f64476239a86b3327ec3d85fb5859da.jpg

20230110_141240.jpg.df41a717d0fc193a246a5c4efb027e71.jpg

20230110_141238.jpg.5ae784e80a92482567ac36f30fb4a1b5.jpg

Great!  Finally dirt is moving.  Still may take a while before any tower crane is erected though.  This is so good to see!  Thanks for the pics @Child2021!

Edited by eandslee

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Great!  Finally dirt is moving.  Still may take a while before any tower crane is erected though.  This is so good to see!  Thanks for the pics @Child2021!

We're actually turning dirt in the second week of January. That said, what's the over/under for tower cranes?

I'm guessing April, maybe. Is March TOO aggressive? Is May (or April for that matter) TOO conservative an estimate?

Edited by I miss RVA