Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Soil samples??  To see whether the ground can hold up a signature tower!!

it's definitely a soil sampling for construction purposes, but if it were for a 20 story tower it would have to go a lot deeper than that.  One project I am familiar with was only 4 stories and the sampling was about 3 times as deep as that.

17 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

it's definitely a soil sampling for construction purposes, but if it were for a 20 story tower it would have to go a lot deeper than that.  One project I am familiar with was only 4 stories and the sampling was about 3 times as deep as that.

I think they can add tubes to the end, they're in about 12' sections, drill down 12' add another tube, etc. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

Someone sent this pick to me from Costar building site. Any idea what this could mean?

FB0CCF9F-31A7-4621-8162-D1E349164BFC.jpeg

Wait a minute…is that the New Market HQ in the background?  If so, how is this the site of the new CoStar tower?  Maybe I don’t have my bering right…what say ye?

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Wait a minute…is that the New Market HQ in the background?  If so, how is this the site of the new CoStar tower?  Maybe I don’t have my bering right…what say ye?

The photo shows the site looking from the existing Costar building towards New Market and Tredegar. It is showing the upper part of the parcel . The lower part would be to the left not shown in the photo. For orientation the photo is pointing westward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

The photo shows the site looking from the existing Costar building towards New Market and Tredegar. It is showing the upper part of the parcel . The lower part would be to the left not shown in the photo. For orientation the photo is pointing westward.

Ah got it. Thought I was losing my mind there for a second. Thanks for the orientation help!

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

So when do we think the renderings hit the street?

Kind of like the "over/under" for a football game, yeah? 

Honestly, I don't know the timing of these things. Plus - regarding a renderings reveal, are we talking about a reveal as sniffed out by Urban Planet/Richmond's intrepid "crack staff" (as Marvelous Marv Albert used to say back in the day when presenting the "Albert Achievment Awards" on "Latenight with David Letterman") - or are we talking something more "official" as reported by Richmond BizSense, the RTD or one of the TV stations, or announced by the city or CoStar?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I've been wondering this too.  I'm still regularly looking for any hidden clues but nothing since the first luck I had months ago.  My guess is, If the mystery drilling was actually testing for foundations wouldn't they be testing in the areas where the building is to be built and how would they know where the building(s) are to be built unless they have foundation plans? So, if they have foundation plans,  they know a shape and if they know a shape,  then they have a building,  and if they have a building,  my guess is 3 weeks + 2 days.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Hike said:

I've been wondering this too.  I'm still regularly looking for any hidden clues but nothing since the first luck I had months ago.  My guess is, If the mystery drilling was actually testing for foundations wouldn't they be testing in the areas where the building is to be built and how would they know where the building(s) are to be built unless they have foundation plans? So, if they have foundation plans,  they know a shape and if they know a shape,  then they have a building,  and if they have a building,  my guess is 3 weeks + 2 days.

I'm probably miles off base on this one - but I'm suspecting its still at least several (many?) months away. Maybe not - hard to tell. I don't have any idea how this process works from a timing standpoint.

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

My thought is, by the end of this calendar year, just based off of what the CoStar CEO said about how long the process would take.  Maybe he said that it would take the better part of the year to iron things out so that he could keep the media off his back for a little while, so maybe it could be earlier than the end of the year.  I think as the time draws closer, there will be more leaks and we will start to hear about new rumors, then they will release the renderings when the news, pretty-much, gets full into the rumor mill...because at that point, the cat will be out of the bag (except for all the details).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

My thought is, by the end of this calendar year, just based off of what the CoStar CEO said about how long the process would take.  Maybe he said that it would take the better part of the year to iron things out so that he could keep the media off his back for a little while, so maybe it could be earlier than the end of the year.  I think as the time draws closer, there will be more leaks and we will start to hear about new rumors, then they will release the renderings when the news, pretty-much, gets full into the rumor mill...because at that point, the cat will be out of the bag (except for all the details).

My guess on the time frame, where I mentioned 3 weeks + 2 days, was me being sarcastic and joking it'll be that soon, there's no way it's that soon.   I hope and think you're right that it's by the end of the year or sooner.  They had some plans, ideas, concepts with Navy Hill that were percolating, those should be able to transfer to any footprint.  That would put Costar developing a HQ here starting in Jan. 2020, (18 months ago) or probably earlier, as that's when we were told about it for Navy Hill.  Their new riverfront property option was announced almost 1 year ago, July 2020, so that is plenty of time...

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, Hike said:

My guess on the time frame, where I mentioned 3 weeks + 2 days, was me being sarcastic and joking it'll be that soon, there's no way it's that soon.   I hope and think you're right that it's by the end of the year or sooner.  They had some plans, ideas, concepts with Navy Hill that were percolating, those should be able to transfer to any footprint.  That would put Costar developing a HQ here starting in Jan. 2020, (18 months ago) or probably earlier, as that's when we were told about it for Navy Hill.  Their new riverfront property option was announced almost 1 year ago, July 2020, so that is plenty of time...

And, of course, when even only the whiskers of the cat begin to poke out of the bag, the intrepid investigative team at Urban Planet/Richmond will be there FIRST to get the scoop - well before anything 'official' is announced to the media. I'll wager we get the news published here on this forum a good week before anything official is announced. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

My guess is that it won't be a new tallest for Virginia, but it will be a great addition to the downtown market and skyline.

I hate it when you're right about stuff like this...but you may be right in this case.  I'd love to see the state's new tallest in Richmond, but dang...developers/companies in the area can't seem to think beyond the 450' height...as if there is a concrete ceiling just above that height that they just can't punch through.  I hope you're wrong on this one Coupe, but what example to we have that says otherwise?  Answer: nothing.  If it does happen, it would be freaking huge!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I hate it when you're right about stuff like this...but you may be right in this case.  I'd love to see the state's new tallest in Richmond, but dang...developers/companies in the area can't seem to think beyond the 450' height...as if there is a concrete ceiling just above that height that they just can't punch through.  I hope you're wrong on this one Coupe, but what example to we have that says otherwise?  Answer: nothing.  If it does happen, it would be freaking huge!

There's always a chance it could come it at 500 or 505 feet - still not the tallest in the state - but 51 to 56 feet taller than the Monroe Tower. Much as we'd prefer something much larger, that would still work, wouldn't it? :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA