Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

If CoStar wanted to add a spire that would work really well in adding significant height to their tower, here's a fantastic example of a similarly designed building with a spire on one end (not centrally located) -- the Comcast Tower in Philadelphia. Very similar design -- wider than it is deep - somewhat "layered" on the sides - and a flat crown -- with a spire protruding from one end of the building. Imagine the CoStar design we're seeing with a similar modification to simply add the spire and grab some more height.

CTC_Skyline-e1543252931502.jpg

5761a957bef95d63157f91981a3dbc40.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I’m going to say 425’-450’. Not sure if it can squeeze past the Monroe. 

Honest question, no derision intended. Does anyone in the real world involved in building these things actually care about inching past another building in height? And by involved, I mean the company building it or do a financing it? 

My guess is the height is the height because they have the thing pegged down to the penny, pound, and deutschmark so to speak.

Just now, DowntownCoruscant said:

Well done, I Miss RVA.

Much appreciated!

Still - in honestly answering your question, you might be surprised by just how competitive certain companies who want epic signature buildings built - or certain developers/architects who are looking to design said signature buildings - can be in given cities. They all want THEIR building to dominate that particular city's skyline. I think the folks from the Charlotte forum pointed this out -- that the size/height of some of the buildings built there (going at least as far back as the BoA building) grew as they did out of that kind of chest-thumpy competitiveness between corporations.

In a way, too bad we don't really see that in RVA... yet. Here's hoping I'll see it in my lifetime!

2 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Honest question, no derision intended. Does anyone in the real world involved in building these things actually care about inching past another building in height? And by involved, I mean the company building it or do a financing it? 

My guess is the height is the height because they have the thing pegged down to the penny, pound, and deutschmark so to speak.

Generally I agree with you. They are flush with cash and have a little ego, so there may be a chance!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Building to the left:  this new building in Charlotte the Bank of America Tower had a 100 foot tall pryamid on the top hiding the mechanicals and providing quite the light show too.  A pyramid or sail like structure can get some additional height on this new CoStar tower.   I hope it is at least your new tallest in the city and hopefully in the state.  

IMG_5808.JPG

Seems like this design has become fairly common in a lot of new construction in quite a few cities. That's a good point, @KJHburg-- that kind of top can add a lot of height and make for a pretty sweet looking nighttime display.

Weren't there a couple of Charlotte buildings that were absolutely 'vanity projects' between companties that were uber competitive - basically hellbent to have the tallest building on the skyline?

CoStar being the tallest in city/state: AMEN!! From your keyboard to God's eyes, mate! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smile:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Building to the left:  this new building in Charlotte the Bank of America Tower had a 100 foot tall pryamid on the top hiding the mechanicals and providing quite the light show too.  A pyramid or sail like structure can get some additional height on this new CoStar tower.   I hope it is at least your new tallest in the city and hopefully in the state.  

IMG_5808.JPG

Wow to the right of it seems like duke energy’s new tower is rising quickly too. Are they completely leaving the tower they are in now which I know is y’all’s second tallest tower and a beauty too. I think before all of this new stuff was built I loved what is now one Wells Fargo center I remember it mainly as one Wachovia center and the Bank of America corporate center is a beauty and always will be. A family friend of mine and my family that lived in my neighborhood while growing up he got transferred when bofa merged with nations bank and got transferred from Richmond to the bofa tower after it was built. He worked in downtown Richmond which is now the Bank of America center but I remember it very well as the nations bank center. A lot of people got transferred out of richmond to Charlotte after they merged. A lot of people I went to elementary school there parents got transferred to Charlotte. It was sad for me and upsetting they had to leave we were all really good friends. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Now there seems no big rush to top our tallest building as most buildings are proposed are in the 30s floor range.  

Costar needs especially if they move their HQ to Richmond which I fully expect to show they are the leader in commercial real estate information and data.  This is more a project for them to project that image and to attract employees to a new highly amenitized building. 

I stand by my thought they will move lock stock and barrel out of DC to Richmond.

1.) No rush to build tallest: Question -- what's Charlotte's current office vacancy rate downtown?

2.) CoStar building: AMEN! Fully agreed.

3.) Move lock stock & barrel to RVA - AMEN! Again, from your keyboard to God's eyes. May it happen soon!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

1.) No rush to build tallest: Question -- what's Charlotte's current office vacancy rate downtown?

2.) CoStar building: AMEN! Fully agreed.

3.) Move lock stock & barrel to RVA - AMEN! Again, from your keyboard to God's eyes. May it happen soon!

1. Currently less than 11% with sublease space in account 13% according to JLL which is not bad given everything 

Here is my scenario for the Costar new tower to be announced:  Announce the new tower in conjunction with the HQ relocation and seek state and local incentives  when that will happen I am not sure.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

1. Currently less than 11% with sublease space in account 13% according to JLL which is not bad given everything 

Here is my scenario for the Costar new tower to be announced:  Announce the new tower in conjunction with the HQ relocation and seek state and local incentives  when that will happen I am not sure.  

Again, my friend, I can't say this enough - from your keyboard to God's eyes. May it happen exactly as you have described!

• Like 1