The Nashville I Remember

Baronakim

Is that the occasion of a new bridge? Victory Memorial bridge?  And the first time I saw it, I didn't notice that the other bridge in the background is actually the old Woodland Street bridge.  What was at the site of the VM Bridge before this version?  A predecessor? 

Edited by MLBrumby

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Is that the occasion of a new bridge? Victory Memorial bridge?  And the first time I saw it, I didn't notice that the other bridge in the background is actually the old Woodland Street bridge.  What was at the site of the VM Bridge before this version?  A predecessor? 

Yes, the opening of the VM Bridge. There was no bridge at this location before its construction (note photo below after construction of the Metro Courthouse): 67be9753a34fee1d9ab6f5f0eb340df5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

I’m a bit of a car buff…. And that last photo has some cars made several years after 1971. So did that hole stay there for a while a’la Lake Palmer? 

And what was that masonry building across deaderick? Then there’s a strange white building across union street. 

This from Music City historian Brian Mansfield:

"Before Nashville's music business coalesced around 16th and 17th Aves. S. in the early to mid-1960s and was spread from West End to Hendersonville, there was a proposal to build a Music City U.S.A. complex to create a centralized location for the industry. This is what it would have looked like."  It would've been 300 feet long and 5 stories tall with a rooftop restaurant, and a set of large recording studios behind.

235639899_10159759322752704_4908261546897152552_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Any idea where it would have been built??????

More from Brian Mansfield:

It was the idea of WSM’s GM at the time. He got an architect to do the rendering then they got Mayor Ben West behind it.  I don't think it got very far. They didn't even have a location picked when this rendering ran in the paper."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, MLBrumby said:

I’m a bit of a car buff…. And that last photo has some cars made several years after 1971. So did that hole stay there for a while a’la Lake Palmer? 

And what was that masonry building across deaderick? Then there’s a strange white building across union street. 

I believe it was an empty hole for  a time, but nowhere near as long as Lake Palmer. The masonry building across the street from the demolished former Andrew Jackson Hotel where the Rachel Jackson buildings stands today was the Cotton States Building (built around 1925). The state acquired it as an office building for the Highway Department and built an ugly attachment on it. They got rid of it entirely to build the aforementioned Rachel Jackson Building around 1985.

The "strange white building" on Union is still there today, 501 Union, with some minor alterations to the facade and color.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I came across this early rendering of what was Suntrust and is currently the Fifth Third Center at Church & Fifth. Oh, what might have been......

Fifth Third Early Rendering.jpg

I prefer the design of the building as it was built. I gave a theatre set designer a tour of downtown a few years ago and he immediately picked up on the design relationship between the 5/3 tower and the Downtown Presbyterian Church. The Egyptian Revival vibe makes that intersection really special.

• Like 3

That would have likely been built, as is, if they could have gotten the lot facing Church St. Due to a squabble over price, they decided to build what we got. After construction had started, the owner (of the Church St lot) finally conceded to an offer, and thus we now have the plaza on Church St. And the upcoming makeover should make that space much more engaging 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

In possession of TN State Museum & in storage. (And it’s a crying shame that it is not out where it can be seen and loved, in operation for all to enjoy!)

Agreed... I wonder why it isn't?  It's not like there aren't ample places to put it.