Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

Thanks for kicking this off. Note that the rendering for the recycling yard project - 'The Foudry' is an older one - the updated site plan is below. They've reoriented the buildings and cut them in half so 4 buildings instead of 2 long ones.

foundy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for creating this sub folder! It's needed - and it's SO great to see the near North Side really starting to take off and boom. Scott's Addition, Manchester, downtown, the riverfront and the VCU campuses rightly get a lot of ink - but this part of town is really zooming ahead as well. SOOOO glad to see!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

More info on the 2nd phase of Highland Grove from Richmond Free Press - looks like we could be seeing the first units of the 122 called for rise about this time next year.

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/oct/29/new-single-family-homes-townhouses-be-developed-hi/

I don't know much about the area but it seems this subdivision will would better tie together the Chestnut Hill neighborhood to the Barton heights area. When project was first announced there were 3 similar site plans so I am not sure which one they went with here. All 3 are pics in the development map, only difference is the site plan along Dunn Ave it seems - I think the first one is the most urban as it maintains street frontage - 2nd one divys these lots off along cu-de-sacs yuck and the 3rd is an option if for whatever reason they are not able to make the connection to Dunn Ave into Green Park neighborhood which would also be unfortunate.  The link on the map where the images originated is broken though but I may dig into this later. A formal announcement is being made at 2pm today per the article so in the coming days maybe we will here more.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, whw53 said:

More info on the 2nd phase of Highland Grove from Richmond Free Press - looks like we could be seeing the first units of the 122 called for rise about this time next year.

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/oct/29/new-single-family-homes-townhouses-be-developed-hi/

I don't know much about the area but it seems this subdivision will would better tie together the Chestnut Hill neighborhood to the Barton heights area. When project was first announced there were 3 similar site plans so I am not sure which one they went with here. All 3 are pics in the development map, only difference is the site plan along Dunn Ave it seems - I think the first one is the most urban as it maintains street frontage - 2nd one divys these lots off along cu-de-sacs yuck and the 3rd is an option if for whatever reason they are not able to make the connection to Dunn Ave into Green Park neighborhood which would also be unfortunate.  The link is broken though but I may dig into this later. A formal announcement is being made at 2pm today per the article so in the coming days maybe we will here more.

This is exciting news! Glad to see another "donut hole" about to be filled with residential development. The more this happens across the city the better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Icetera changed the title to Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice piece of land for sale along Lombardy - almost 1 1/2 acres in heart of what Chamberlayne plan calls for an urban village. Would be great to get a sizable, attractive project here to start that urban momemtum. Flier notes this as a 'redevelopment opportunity'.

https://partnercre.com/properties/2423-n-lombardy-st-richmond-va-23220/

The VUU Chamberlayne Neighborhood Plan plan was adopted in 2015 as an amendment to the city's old master plan. From what I understand, as with all amendment plans, Richmond 300 carried over this plan or sub-plan into the current master plan context.  It's a good read and has some nice renderings, illustrations. 

http://www.richmondgov.com/PlanningAndDevelopmentReview/documents/MasterPlan/VUUChamberlayneNeighborhoodPlan-November2015.pdf

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Development team applied for commercial building permits yesterday for the Sphere Apartment project along Brook Road. Should be last permit piece needed to move forward with this project.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/eaad621e-81ac-47b0-b0e8-322bf3291b04

2009 Brook C.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

A plan of development was filed this week along the Brookland Park corridor, comprising 2 vacant lots on the north side of the 300 W block. It looks like project will extend and fill in the commercial corridor to the west while also adding some housing on above levels. It will be great seeing some apartment units right on BP - I could see this corridor with a massing somewhere between Carytown (embarrassingly no residential) and the older portion of Hull in Manchester. There is not a lot of space for large multifamily in Barton Heights\Brookland Park so racking up units in smaller projects will need to happen if we want housing diversity here. Look forward to seeing this one - I believe will be first ground up project in some time along here? Hopefully encourages more small commercial owners to think towards mixed use redevelopment. 

322WBrooklandPark_permit.jpg

322WBrooklandPark_planimetric.jpg

322WBrooklandPark_aerial.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, whw53 said:

A plan of development was filed this week along the Brookland Park corridor, comprising 2 vacant lots on the north side of the 300 W block. It looks like project will extend and fill in the commercial corridor to the west while also adding some housing on above levels. It will be great seeing some apartment units right on BP - I could see this corridor with a massing somewhere between Carytown (embarrassingly no residential) and the older portion of Hull in Manchester. There is not a lot of space for large multifamily in Barton Heights\Brookland Park so racking up units in smaller projects will need to happen if we want housing diversity here. Look forward to seeing this one - I believe will be first ground up project in some time along here? Hopefully encourages more small commercial owners to think towards mixed use redevelopment. 

322WBrooklandPark_permit.jpg

322WBrooklandPark_planimetric.jpg

322WBrooklandPark_aerial.jpg

I believe this popped up a few years ago so glad to see signs of movement.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I believe this popped up a few years ago so glad to see signs of movement.

Was this where that brewery was proposed a year or 2 ago? On the carwash portion at least. 

Edited by whw53