Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

• 2 weeks later...

VUU acquires warehouse across from football stadium for $2.5M.  Hopefully they don't sit on it for too long. 

They also purchased a motel in December 2019 that is slated for demolition and redevelopment, though they have unfortunately yet to start on it.

That area is seeing some other developments for the first time now too.  It will be interesting to see how much it changes over the next 5 years.  VUU carrying through with these projects could help significantly bring the area around, prompting even more new developments.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

VUU acquires warehouse across from football stadium for $2.5M.  Hopefully they don't sit on it for too long. 

They also purchased a motel in December 2019 that is slated for demolition and redevelopment, though they have unfortunately yet to start on it.

That area is seeing some other developments for the first time now too.  It will be interesting to see how much it changes over the next 5 years.  VUU carrying through with these projects could help significantly bring the area around, prompting even more new developments.

The Lombardy corridor is set to pop. Apartments across from Maggie Walker set to break ground by end of summer. Run down lots near VUU changing hands.  Some big commercial lots between Chamberlayne and Brook with for sale signs up. Just needs one big project and it will start rolling. I see some nice retail coming in there too, maybe an Aldi or something.

Really hope VUU gets moving on that hotel, that will be big.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The large lot next to it,  is also under contract by an unnamed buyer.

Wow, thanks for showing that.  That will be a huge deal if that section gets redeveloped.  It would be very much a stake in the ground that says 64 is no longer where real investment stops.

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

The Lombardy corridor is set to pop. Apartments across from Maggie Walker set to break ground by end of summer. Run down lots near VUU changing hands.  Some big commercial lots between Chamberlayne and Brook with for sale signs up. Just needs one big project and it will start rolling. I see some nice retail coming in there too, maybe an Aldi or something.

Really hope VUU gets moving on that hotel, that will be big.

It really is set to pop.  Battery Park on the other side of Chamberlayne has houses going for half a million or more. I think previously a big concern with investment in that area was convincing people to cross 64.  With new apartments going in that area, and Bellevue, Seminary, Ginter Park, Battery Park, and Brookland Park areas all being primed with expendable income to support that area, I think it's much less risky.  A Lidl would be great there, since Aldi is already on Boulevard. Right now the only two real options are VCU Kroger (which caters to students) and Whole Foods (AKA "Whole Paycheck"). I think something that caters to middle class families would do great.

VUU redeveloping that motel is one of the biggest steps so far.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

It looks like some of the properties along Lombardy are for sale.

lombardy.png.cad63cf66a3654b717f6bf7a5a627fcf.png

Near the corner of Seminary and Lombardy (in blue) an old animal "motel" is for sale on LoopNet.. It was shut down after accusations of animal cruelty in 2018.

The red lot has a for sale sign in front of it but I don't see it on LoopNet yet.  I found this page that says it is under contract.

The apartments in purple also appear to be on the market.  I wonder what is realistic for those?  Perhaps they can be renovated.  At a $2.9m asking price, it might be a bit much to bulldoze and build denser?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, RiverYuppy said:

It looks like some of the properties along Lombardy are for sale.

lombardy.png.cad63cf66a3654b717f6bf7a5a627fcf.png

Near the corner of Seminary and Lombardy (in blue) an old animal "motel" is for sale on LoopNet.. It was shut down after accusations of animal cruelty in 2018.

The red lot has a for sale sign in front of it but I don't see it on LoopNet yet.  I found this page that says it is under contract.

The apartments in purple also appear to be on the market.  I wonder what is realistic for those?  Perhaps they can be renovated.  At a $2.9m asking price, it might be a bit much to bulldoze and build denser?

Drove by today and saw several pieces of excavating equipment  on the blue lot...

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Building at corner of Brookland Park and North Ave lists for $1m on LoopNet.

There was a fairly crappy convenience store that occupied the majority of the ground floor there.  Other than the theater, it is the building with some of the largest square footage on the Brookland Park Corridor. I hope it gets put to good use for something.

Also a new hair salon opened at the corner of BPB and Garland. Their Instagram unfortunately doesn't show off the outside, but it shows off the cool chic inside which is highly visible because of the large windows.  

Additionally, another lot on Lombardy near Chamberlayne went up for sale.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

There was a fairly crappy convenience store that occupied the majority of the ground floor there.  Other than the theater, it is the building with some of the largest square footage on the Brookland Park Corridor. I hope it gets put to good use for something.

Also a new hair salon opened at the corner of BPB and Garland. Their Instagram unfortunately doesn't show off the outside, but it shows off the cool chic inside which is highly visible because of the large windows.  

Have long waited for something to happen with that building. It's begging for premium retail with a few condos or offices upstairs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Gorgeous old building - and at least from the photos it looks like it's probably in pretty good shape. Hope it can be renovated and turned into some good space - living space upstairs and retail or business downstairs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the Richmond BizSense article on it.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, 123fakestreet said:

Is it true the ones they removed were in front of hydrants, and you couldn't park there anyway?

Yeah, two of the bump outs removed were in front of fire hydrants. 

Most people in the neighborhood including the businesses in front of one of them didn't even know they were going to be removed.

• Sad 1

On 10/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, 123fakestreet said:

Lambert has got to go.  There was a process in place for things like this with citizen input and they got implemented. She circumvented all that to have it UN-done.  This area is improving and we get something nice and she undoes it, drags us backward. Absolutely unbelievable, incredibly incompetent, possibly corrupt. Just representative of everything wrong with this city.    I didn't have too much of an opinion on Lambert before this, but I may knock on doors for whoever runs against her in 3 years.

I haven't looked into it too much, what was her justification? 

This is pretty easy to trace back to who ordered it and what the process looks like. There should be tickets, emails, paper trails, etc. I've heard this cost the city something like $150,000+? This is just silly. Everyone complains about red tape but this is exactly why we have it...you can't just destroy existing infrastructure like this. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 8:29 AM, 123fakestreet said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/26/vuu-plans-hotel-in-carver-as-it-rolls-out-hospitality-management-programs/

Hotel that was planned for corner of Brook and Lombardy is now going across the street from Maggie Walker, VUU still plans to develop site on the corner of Brook and Lombardy using the original design.  Storefronts at street level with classrooms above instead of hotel rooms, sounds like relocating classrooms in the building they will redevelop to build the hotel. 

No timeline on start or completion of the project, but 1 of 2 ways to look at it: they know the targeted completion date for the hotel as 24-25 so maybe the classrooms that have to replace it need to be done before then so they have somewhere to go.  More likely is they don't know because they have no plans at all, which means the hotel is the priority and the Lombardy building won't be done until well after that, likely putting it into at least 2026 if not later, which would really suck.

So yesterday a huge banner went up over the front of the old hotel on the VUU owned parcel at the corner of Brook and Lombardy proclaiming "Future Site of VUU North Gateway." Sounds promising, but a google search of that name and a look over the VUU website return nothing.

• Like 4

You can probably find something on it around this site from maybe 2 years ago? 

If I recall it kinda looks like the Reynold’s Community College building on 25th street in Church Hill. 

It is awesome to see movement on this.  It is a good-looking building that will really help to anchor VUU to the neighborhood. 

• Like 3