Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

35 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

You can probably find something on it around this site from maybe 2 years ago? 

If I recall it kinda looks like the Reynold’s Community College building on 25th street in Church Hill. 

It is awesome to see movement on this.  It is a good-looking building that will really help to anchor VUU to the neighborhood. 

In the article from the post I quoted myself on:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/26/vuu-plans-hotel-in-carver-as-it-rolls-out-hospitality-management-programs/

That hotel project has been moved to the corner of Lombardy and Leigh. While VUU still plans to develop the Lombardy/Brook location using the same renderings, what exactly the building will be and what the timeline will be have yet to be decided, at least when that article was published, and there has been no news since then other than this banner going up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

This?

This really is a sweet looking building. I love the design. It SO reminds me of one of the buildings on the Loyola-Chicago campus where were the Red Line "L" runs through on its way from the far North Side to downtown - and there's an "L" station right at that location - right at that building. 

The VUU rendering looks SO much like that building in Chicago. Simply beautiful!!

40 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

The rendering on the large banner (it covers the entire side of the old motel) looks nothing like the rendering posted above.  

The new design isn’t as elegant but it is bigger.  It appears to be at least 6 floors tall. 

I question whether that's an actual new plan or something that was thrown on the banner by marketing/graphic design people. Either way I look forward to new details on this coming out soon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

If this is a new design I like it better. The other one looks kind of plain and 70s-ish. But we will see what happens. Either way I  am excited to see this property get developed.

Agreed. The "original" design looks good in that photo but in real life that design would be quite boring... the rendering only looks good b/c they glossed it in photoshop imho. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

If this is a new design I like it better. The other one looks kind of plain and 70s-ish. But we will see what happens. Either way I  am excited to see this property get developed.

Fully agreed. I hope this is a legit, actual rendering. It looks really good - very robust. I'm looking forward to seeing this get built.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, whw53 said:

TRP successfully got their rezoning for this lot passed through city council last night. M1 light industrial to B7 rezoning. 

I'm glad they got the rezoning through, but I hope they don't sit on it for years.

There are quite a few things I would like to see started too. VUU has yet to break ground on the motel site.  

A proposed mixed use near Tabol brewing right off the Chamberlayne corridor has yet to take off.  They haven't even started demolition.

No ground has been broken on the townhomes proposed for south Highland Park. The old building on that land has yet to be demolished either.

mixed use project on Brookland Park Blvd has yet to break ground.

Also the old theater and bank on Brookland Park continue to sit abandoned with no announced work to be done.

I really hope these things actually go through.

There are also a slew of properties up for sale on Lombardy near Chamberlayne.  There is also one of the most prominent properties on Brookland Park for sale. 

I would love to see something new announced at one of these properties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

I'm glad they got the rezoning through, but I hope they don't sit on it for years.

There are quite a few things I would like to see started too. VUU has yet to break ground on the motel site.  

A proposed mixed use near Tabol brewing right off the Chamberlayne corridor has yet to take off.  They haven't even started demolition.

No ground has been broken on the townhomes proposed for south Highland Park. The old building on that land has yet to be demolished either.

Also the old theater and bank on Brookland Park continue to sit abandoned with no announced work to be done.

There are also a slew of properties up for sale on Lombardy near Chamberlayne.  There is also one of the most prominent properties on Brookland Park for sale. 

I definitely hope all of these projects get underway soon and the properties that need to be sold -- particularly that corner building on BPB -- gets purchased by developers who will do good things with them. I'd love to see that gorgeous corner building restored and vibrant with retail downstairs and living space upstairs. And the beautiful old theater -- WOW - that's a treasure that needs to be fully restored and brought back to life. Here's hoping the developer who bought it two years ago can get that restoration work underway soon - or - sell it to a different developer who will restore it and breathe life back into it.

The bigger mixed-use project -- of all of these -- would be the one I'd be the least worried about. It's a bigger project, so it may still take a little time to get rolling - but I would tend to think will one will get off the ground sooner rather than later.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, RiverYuppy said:

Bizsense usualIly reports on these items  early in the development process when the plans first hit the city. Give most projects a year out or more for ground breaking. The BPB project should be doing so very soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another project in the works in the vicinity of Six Points. SUP filed today proposes a 52 unit project on  5th ave at Rady. What's odd is 5th should be the primary face of the project but the street has been closed thru here - not the alley though, the alley still connects from Custer to BPB. Site is controlled by an entity with a mailing address in Hanover county. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/35a0c6d7-7ae3-49b5-be79-934b30ed25d0?tab=moreinfo

will add this and the project to be at BPB & Woodcliff to the dev map - that too is going through an SUP. according to the land use mapper that one - on the south side of BPB- will be a mixed use 43 unit project. if you look below that is the grassy lot at far left next to the senior apts.

sup_5thave.png

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@123fakestreet-- thanks so much for taking these and posting! Wow - it's amazing to see these projects rising on the near Northside. It's amazing to see!

I love the red "baby boom crane". Do we count the baby cranes in our totals of boom cranes that are up over the city? In addition to a "standard" or "full" boom/tower crane, isn't there a red baby boom crane up in Scott's?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

@123fakestreet-- thanks so much for taking these and posting! Wow - it's amazing to see these projects rising on the near Northside. It's amazing to see!

I love the red "baby boom crane". Do we count the baby cranes in our totals of boom cranes that are up over the city? In addition to a "standard" or "full" boom/tower crane, isn't there a red baby boom crane up in Scott's?

I include them on my map with a different symbol.  I have not updated in a bit and these are getting harder to track (a good problem).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, whw53 said:

brushing the dust off this thread with a fresh render of the 711 Dawn project - coming off a successful rezoning last year, a POD was formally submitted last week. 

711Dawn.png

Awesome!! That's a sweet looking building, too!  Wow - what a great ground-breaker for this neighborhood to start getting some density and residential development underway.

@whw53-- is the parcel size/location about right?

711 Dawn Street.jpg