Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Sharp looking building. Now waiting on news of what's going into the school bus depot directly south of it.

Same. I could see a tight knit rowhome development being successful here.

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Doesn't TRP own the bus depot? It's a really great size for some fast food drive-thrus, but with sidewalks! :tw_joy:

LOL

Also of note - have you all heard anything about this initiative? Tryin to recast this area as 'Chamberbrook' and encourage somewhat of an artist district-

https://www.chamberbrook.com/

• Thanks 1

Edit - found some more info on this Chamberbrook idea. Looks like some state money got used to create a fancy website. Cute.  

https://richmond.com/news/local/virginia-awards-350-000-for-broad-street-revitalization-pandemic-relief-and-new-arts-district-near/article_71a70e3e-f313-5734-8116-f1c9498229c4.html

Edited by whw53

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Same. I could see a tight knit rowhome development being successful here.

LOL

Also of note - have you all heard anything about this initiative? Tryin to recast this area as 'Chamberbrook' and encourage somewhat of an artist district-

https://www.chamberbrook.com/

I love the concept and it's a catchy name. I like what they're doing.  It's very forward thinking (a bit of a novelty for RVA, don't you think?) and akin to something one might see cities such as Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville doing. Gotta say, I really like this idea and hope it really gains traction and picks up steam.

It looks like the 711 Dawn project is being slightly reduced.  I still think it's an ambitious plan considering where it's going.  The VUU/Chamberlayne and Diamond areas are the only two large undeveloped sections of the city left.  While it may not be the largest development, I'm still surprised to see it going where it is.  Hopefully it spurs newer and larger developments in the area.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

It looks like the 711 Dawn project is being slightly reduced.  I still think it's an ambitious plan considering where it's going.  The VUU/Chamberlayne and Diamond areas are the only two large undeveloped sections of the city left.  While it may not be the largest development, I'm still surprised to see it going where it is.  Hopefully it spurs newer and larger developments in the area.

I'm sorry to see the project being trimmed down, even just slightly. Is this project yet another victim of increased construction costs that apparently haven't yet stabilized? 

Either way - it's a nice looking building and it will be a tremendous asset to that neighborhood. Can't wait for it to get underway.

• Like 1

It looks like the building at the corner of Brookland Park & North Ave just sold.

1855204405_ScreenShot2022-02-28at1_26_05PM.thumb.png.e63654c1f130806c6ce7c1f04a512a0f.png

Along that corridor, it along with the Theater and Bank building are the three most prominent buildings.  All essentially sit empty right now.

The bank sits in legal limbo with a lawsuit between the city and the person they gave it to for redevelopment.

The theater was purchased by a developer who has redeveloped a few buildings already and broke ground this month on converting a self-serve carwash to a mixed use commercial & residential project.

The building at Brookland Park & North Ave was home to a convenience store and a shoe repair shop.  The convenience store is there no longer.

I wonder which of the three will be first to be successfully redeveloped and what will go there‽ I think that plus the opening of the new mixed-use development will be a real milestone for the area.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

After doing a bit more research into trying to find out who the descriptive "2928 North Ave LLC" is, I found it is Canvas Development.

The PO Box that is listed on the contact address for the property is the same as for 2916 North Ave. Here is a Richmond Bizsense article talking about Manchu moving into 2916 North Ave. It states that Canvas Development was the developer who renovated and rented the property to Manchu.

It also looks like Canvas Development is doing some work in Byrd Park, which makes me hopeful that they'll do something with the Brookland Park & North Ave building soon.

EDIT:  I talked with one of the reporters at RichmondBizsense and it appears the buyer of both properties is now the same developer that has done a lot of work on Brookland Park.  So I'm hopeful something will be done soon.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

What's the location? 

I think it's 2308. Looking at google satellite view now, pretty sure it was that tiny building that already looked like a meteor hit it and blew a huge hole in the roof.  Given its state of disrepair there's a high chance they are just finally getting rid of it and not building anything new. But maybe not. I watch this corridor very closely and am really hoping for some news soon on something.... that whole area is set to pop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/from-parking-lots-to-living-plots/Content?oid=18505343#fromMobile

the author seems to be trying way to hard to pin development here on efforts other than the real estate development community or is just ignorant to the process. 

In regards to the Foundry project he says - "Such projects would not have been possible just two-and-a-half years ago, before Richmond City Council approved the Virginia Union University (VUU)/Chamberlayne Neighborhood Plan."

In reality that site was rezoned in a private sector spot  initiative in 2016. Most projects here have moved forward as Special Use or private sector rezoning cases...nobody was waiting around for the council to pass a visioning exercise. Furthermore -  The development is all happening in the industrial zone. The only area rezoned as a paet of a public led process  (2019) was the Lombardy Ave. area - none of the projects he's shown sit in that area.

Again - "Although popular imagination may envision many real estate rebrandings beginning with white developers, Chamberbrook began with a Black woman-led nonprofit..."

That's nice - it's probably that angle that got the story picked up by VPM owned Style Weekly but Again - no bearing on reality. 

Edit - ok 'rebrandings' i read 'redevelopments' - that changes it for sure so dis-regard above. We will see if the sticks though - sounds like a leafy suburban neighborhood, not the next mixed use corridor.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Chamberbrook actors and the city small area plan amendment for this area but both have really  yet to be implemented.

In summary - This isn't a fair overview  - none of the housing projects he's shown stem from the 'Chamberbrook' initiative or still had to go through lengthy entitlement processes to get built in spite of the small area plan.  Reading this would lead to believe otherwise. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Unpopular opinion - not a fan of the name Chamberbrook. It feels lazy. 

Yeah, it's just... dumb. Could have been worse. How about Chay-Lay-Bro?

That said anything like this article and those tweets that gets this area more attention - and more growth- is good with me.  I've posted multiple times about that Lombardy corridor between Brook and Chamberlayne... that area is going to be a great spot for dense mixed use projects with a walkable avenue.

Also, this line jumped out at me: the potential of a North-South Pulse bus rapid transit route along Chamberlayne

Given the other factual issues previously pointed out I'm hesitant to buy that this is really true or that they know something we don't.   But definitely interesting.

Look at all the previous areas in the city that blew up - underutilized/largely vacant light industrial. Shockoe Bottom. Manchester. Scotts Addition. Greater Scotts/Hermitage. Fulton. Most of those areas are now almost completely filling in and running out of room.  The Brook rd Chamberlayne area has a few projects already to prove it's viable.  Now it's going to be the next frontier to blow up. 

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Yeah, it's just... dumb. Could have been worse. How about Chay-Lay-Bro?

That said anything like this article and those tweets that gets this area more attention - and more growth- is good with me.  I've posted multiple times about that Lombardy corridor between Brook and Chamberlayne... that area is going to be a great spot for dense mixed use projects with a walkable avenue.

Also, this line jumped out at me: the potential of a North-South Pulse bus rapid transit route along Chamberlayne

Given the other factual issues previously pointed out I'm hesitant to buy that this is really true or that they know something we don't.   But definitely interesting.

Look at all the previous areas in the city that blew up - underutilized/largely vacant light industrial. Shockoe Bottom. Manchester. Scotts Addition. Greater Scotts/Hermitage. Fulton. Most of those areas are now almost completely filling in and running out of room.  The Brook rd Chamberlayne area has a few projects already to prove it's viable.  Now it's going to be the next frontier to blow up. 

A few thoughts:

1.) Chay-Lay-Bro: :tw_joy:  Love it!!

2.) North-south PULSE BRT line along Chamberlayne -- from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:  I'm definitely of the opinion that we can't get a north-south PULSE line established quickly enough. It needs to happen.

3.) Brook Road-Chamberlayne area - next frontier to blow up:  Fully agreed. Mind you, Scott's and Manchester have a long long way to go before they fill up with no more room for development, but that's not a problem. Brook/Chamberlayne is a burgeoning hot spot in RVA for development - and I think you're right - and I 100% believe that the next year or two will see it really start that transition toward "it" neighborhood that Scott's and Manchester have achieved. Definitely, we must keep our eyes on this area for bigtime development over the next few years because you're right. It's gonna blow up, and the development will be robust. I can't wait to see that area really take off.

11 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Exactly. Which is why I find the author's perspective so funny. For someone who writes up on Richmond development you have to know that Scott's, Manchester, Shockoe - development in those locales is happening in spite of city plans not because city magically signs off on a visioning exercise. Scott's was never never part of city master plan as mixed use area until 300 plan- that area was pioneered by developers who saw potential long before city planners.. ..Manchester.. completely developer led - rezonings, SUP's block by effing block. By the time the Shockoe small area plan passes there will not be any vacant blocks left as developers are quickly cornering any such parcels - good! Still he and others seem rather to cover city, state , non profit initiatives - maybe these are easier to report on, maybe there's a better angle there from his pre-ordained narrative. IDK - i think that's why i prefer BizSense write ups - every real estate development is its own battle, its own story. That's what needs to be told or at least is more important -  not these visions to nowhere..

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, whw53 said:

Exactly. Which is why I find the author's perspective so funny. For someone who writes up on Richmond development you have to know that Scott's, Manchester, Shockoe - development in those locales is happening in spite of city plans not because city magically signs off on a visioning exercise. Scott's was never never part of city master plan as mixed use area until 300 plan- that area was pioneered by developers who saw potential long before city planners.. ..Manchester.. completely developer led - rezonings, SUP's block by effing block. By the time the Shockoe small area plan passes there will not be any vacant blocks left as developers are quickly cornering any such parcels - good! Still he and others seem rather to cover city, state , non profit initiatives - maybe these are easier to report on, maybe there's a better angle there from his pre-ordained narrative. IDK - i think that's why i prefer BizSense write ups - every real estate development is its own battle, its own story. That's what needs to be told or at least is more important -  not these visions to nowhere..

Those areas took off initially due to historic tax credit districts being formed. Chamberlayne and Brook corridors through here do not have a district.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, whw53 said:

i think that's why i prefer BizSense write ups - every real estate development is its own battle, its own story. That's what needs to be told or at least is more important -  not these visions to nowhere..

Quoting Coupe --    ^^^^^^^^^ this!!   Spot on, @whw53  As Sgt. Friday always said -- "Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

The proposed building looks pretty nice, all in all and should be an outstanding addition to the Six Points neighborhood, which is really starting to taking off. It's right across the street from another apartment building the Enterprise Community Development folks have had in the works since 2018. (Fifth picture/rendering below)

Enterprise1.jpg

1203BrooklandParkBvd2-2048x1536.jpg

Enterprise2.jpg

Screenshot (1068).png

Enterprise76apts2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unless I'm misreading the story, looks like big doin's going on up at Westminster Canterbury...

Now - please correct me: Do I understand correctly that the tall building (on the right of the top picture) with the slightly angled roof (a la the current CoStar building downtown) is the new building that will be built? (In addition to the "groups" of smaller "clustered" buildings to go up on the portion of the old Azalea Mall property WC purchased)  That taller building doesn't yet exist, correct? Somehow the story wasn't 100% clear to me as to whether or not that nine-story building already exists or is the one being built.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/13/new-apartments-next-for-200m-expansion-underway-at-westminster-canterbury/

WestminsterNEW.jpg

Westminster2.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Unless I'm misreading the story, looks like big doin's going on up at Westminster Canterbury...

Now - please correct me: Do I understand correctly that the tall building (on the right of the top picture) with the slightly angled roof (a la the current CoStar building downtown) is the new building that will be built? (In addition to the "groups" of smaller "clustered" buildings to go up on the portion of the old Azalea Mall property WC purchased)  That taller building doesn't yet exist, correct? Somehow the story wasn't 100% clear to me as to whether or not that nine-story building already exists or is the one being built.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/13/new-apartments-next-for-200m-expansion-underway-at-westminster-canterbury/

WestminsterNEW.jpg

Westminster2.jpg

You are correct!  THat portion will push closer to I-95 so should be quite visible to Southbound traffic coming into the city.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1