Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

5 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

This is definitely my "pet area" of the city. I drive down this stretch every day and have been waiting for a long time for it to turn.  It has great potential and has been a noted "focus area" of the city for like ten years (while absolutely nothing has happened).  I was thrilled there was just something finally going in here - but 3 blocks, 6 stories? Wow.

And my hope when I first saw this development seems supported as well "This project will also help contribute to the area’s rejuvenation and start the evolution the City seeks in this corridor and further the City’s aspirations for this neighborhood."  VUU needs to finally kick into action on their new development on the other end of this stretch.  This would be a perfect area for some townhouses, the Carver Square ones a 1/4 mile down Lombardy are already practically sold out before even being completed. The market is there.

Yes indeed!  Honestly, there is absolutely NO doubt in my mind whatsoever that this part of the city is about to take off as the next "hot spot". Not saying it would reach the stratospheric levels of Scott's Addition or Manchester - but then again, it could happen - it's just now getting started! Give this area even just five years - much less a decade - and it will be transformed to the extent that it will be unrecognizable (in a VERY good way).

• Like 1

I wish this also included that motel. Hopefully this development pushes for the motel to redevelop.

I really see Northside changing a lot, though I might be biased because I live there.

That you don't have to travel down an entirely dead street full of abandoned buildings to get to Overbrook from The Fan is going to be huge in itself.

Now you'll pass nice townhomes, this new development, and hopefully VUU's new building.

Here is a map of Northside that describes how I see it.

northside.thumb.png.67b4f0363e6fb8e1d75335d2fbc229b4.png

In the blue you can see everything west of Chamberayne and North of Brookland Park. Bellevue, Laburnum Court, Rosedale etc. There aren't really dilapidated parts of this area. There are million dollar homes, private schools, and multiple major national political players live here.

In the Purple Pink area, you have VUU/Diamond. You're already starting to see development here with the new Hardywood townhomes. Before the townhomes, there were the apartments across from Hardywood that went up. This is also where they just announced a hotel is being turned into apartments. Then of course there is the Diamond District, but serious development initiative in this area predates that.

Then there is the red strip that is Chamberlayne avenue. Chamberlayne feels kind of sketchy. I'm sure many people would feel uncomfortable walking on the sidewalk there. Developments are happening south of Brookland Park to rejuvenate the corridor, but I'm not exactly sure how that is going to play out North of Brookland Park. 

Then there is the Yellow section. That is the part of the city that has a lot of dilapidated buildings and elevated crime, but is also experiencing a boon in redevelopment. I think this yellow line is important because when you cross it, it really feels like you've gone to another area. If you're a buyer looking for a house in Northside, crossing that Yellow line is going to feel like you're no longer living in "Northside."  That means that developers can't really go past that yellow line to do their next house, so they have to really put in the leg work of figuring out how to get the last abandoned buildings on the block sold. I think that is the phase that the yellow section is starting to enter in. There is no more going one block farther to pick off the low-hanging fruit. We've hit the boundary.

The green line represents a huge stretch of dead space that really separates Henrico and Hanover. As there is more expendable income happening in the areas seen in this map, I think there is going to be increased pressure for higher density suburban development south of that green line. We can already see a huge apartment complex going in where "Henrico Plaza" used to be.

Lastly, this Northside area has the chance to be the only "good" k-12 schools in the city. If this comes to pass, that will put tremendously more pressure on the area.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

I wish this also included that motel. Hopefully this development pushes for the motel to redevelop.

I really see Northside changing a lot, though I might be biased because I live there.

That you don't have to travel down an entirely dead street full of abandoned buildings to get to Overbrook from The Fan is going to be huge in itself.

Now you'll pass nice townhomes, this new development, and hopefully VUU's new building.

Here is a map of Northside that describes how I see it.

northside.thumb.png.67b4f0363e6fb8e1d75335d2fbc229b4.png

In the blue you can see everything west of Chamberayne and North of Brookland Park. Bellevue, Laburnum Court, Rosedale etc. There aren't really dilapidated parts of this area. There are million dollar homes, private schools, and multiple major national political players live here.

In the Purple Pink area, you have VUU/Diamond. You're already starting to see development here with the new Hardywood townhomes. Before the townhomes, there were the apartments across from Hardywood that went up. This is also where they just announced a hotel is being turned into apartments. Then of course there is the Diamond District, but serious development initiative in this area predates that.

Then there is the red strip that is Chamberlayne avenue. Chamberlayne feels kind of sketchy. I'm sure many people would feel uncomfortable walking on the sidewalk there. Developments are happening south of Brookland Park to rejuvenate the corridor, but I'm not exactly sure how that is going to play out North of Brookland Park. 

Then there is the Yellow section. That is the part of the city that has a lot of dilapidated buildings and elevated crime, but is also experiencing a boon in redevelopment. I think this yellow line is important because when you cross it, it really feels like you've gone to another area. If you're a buyer looking for a house in Northside, crossing that Yellow line is going to feel like you're no longer living in "Northside."  That means that developers can't really go past that yellow line to do their next house, so they have to really put in the leg work of figuring out how to get the last abandoned buildings on the block sold. I think that is the phase that the yellow section is starting to enter in. There is no more going one block farther to pick off the low-hanging fruit. We've hit the boundary.

The green line represents a huge stretch of dead space that really separates Henrico and Hanover. As there is more expendable income happening in the areas seen in this map, I think there is going to be increased pressure for higher density suburban development south of that green line. We can already see a huge apartment complex going in where "Henrico Plaza" used to be.

Lastly, this Northside area has the chance to be the only "good" k-12 schools in the city. If this comes to pass, that will put tremendously more pressure on the area.

GREAT analysis, @RiverYuppy!! :tw_thumbsup:

Really nice conversion planned for the former Bellevue Theater/Sammis Grotto (Masonic) Temple on MacArthur Avenue in Bellevue. The nifty conversion would bring 10 apartments above the ground level of commercial space. Construction is likely to begin this summer.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/06/samis-grotto-building-in-bellevue-sold-to-developers/

Bellevue1.jpg

Screenshot (2955).png

Screenshot (2956).png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

A bit of an unfortunate situation involving the century-old American National Bank building in Brookland Park has resulted in the building being transferred to the Richmond Redevelopment & Housing Authority. A local developer - Dixon/Lee Development Group - purchased the building at 201 W. Brookland Park Blvd in 2015 - but ultimately defaulted, owed back taxes (dating to 2019) and never redeveloped the site. Per terms of the original agreement, the building reverted to city ownership this past October. What will become of it is uncertain. Hopefully a new developer can come in and restore the building and perhaps convert it to apartments or office/mixed use. Would really be nice to see this building serve as a catalyst for further redevelopment/revitalization in Brookland Park.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/10/brookland-park-bank-building-back-in-rrha-ownership-after-failed-redevelopment/

BrooklandParkBankBldg1.jpg

BrooklandParkBankBldg2.jpg

Screenshot (74).png

• Like 3

There is totally the will to redevelop this building. It just needs to be sold to an actual developer. Right next to it the Richmond Art Garage is getting permits to build a brand new two story addition to the existing building. Across the street two mixed-use commercial/apartment buildings are under construction.

Since RRHA hamstrung the development of that building, tons of buildings have been renovated and occupied by thriving local businesses.

I'd love to see that building renovated with a cool business that contributes to the community.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

There is totally the will to redevelop this building. It just needs to be sold to an actual developer. Right next to it the Richmond Art Garage is getting permits to build a brand new two story addition to the existing building. Across the street two mixed-use commercial/apartment buildings are under construction.

Since RRHA hamstrung the development of that building, tons of buildings have been renovated and occupied by thriving local businesses.

I'd love to see that building renovated with a cool business that contributes to the community.

So indeed - Brookland Park is very much alive and well! I'd imagine that the RRHA will let a developer have it for pennies on the dollar - so maybe someone will bite and get this building renovated.

• Like 1

Another Northside project that may well be worth keeping an eye on down the road: The MacArthur Apartments residential complex in Bellevue has been recently purchased by local investor Jordan Jefferson, according to Mike's reporting in RBS. No redevelopment (or renovation) plans are currently on file and so far what will become of the complex isn't known. Still - with lots of rehab, redevelopment and new construction activity ongoing in multiple Northside neighborhoods, I can't help but think that this one is worth watching, particularly once the economy settles down & the market becomes more construction friendly again.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/12/bellevue-apartments-next-to-samis-grotto-temple-sell-for-4m/

IMG_0973.jpg

Screenshot (84).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Another Northside project that may well be worth keeping an eye on down the road: The MacArthur Apartments residential complex in Bellevue has been recently purchased by local investor Jordan Jefferson, according to Mike's reporting in RBS. No redevelopment (or renovation) plans are currently on file and so far what will become of the complex isn't known. Still - with lots of rehab, redevelopment and new construction activity ongoing in multiple Northside neighborhoods, I can't help but think that this one is worth watching, particularly once the economy settles down & the market becomes more construction friendly again.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/12/bellevue-apartments-next-to-samis-grotto-temple-sell-for-4m/

IMG_0973.jpg

Screenshot (84).png

I have a strange feeling that the only thing that's going to change with this place is an increase in rent smdh.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

IMG_0973.jpg

Screenshot (84).png

I always thought that was a weird apt complex, really prime area of town and it's an old dumpy building.  Would think a mix of a few town homes with condos would go for tons of money there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Would think a mix of a few town homes with condos would go for tons of money there.

image.jpeg.7d3579ab0354b3bf08a60553f7821ad4.jpeg!! You know it! Perhaps 2 over 2's like what's going up in the Hermitage/Overbrook area east of the Diamond District - and bring the buildings right up to the sidewalk to create a legitimate streetscape. Alternatively - if 2 over 2s don't work - ground floor retail, three floors of residential. I like going with condos vs apartments to factor in a bit of home ownership. Mike's reporting didn't expressly state one way or the other, but I get the impression that all units are vacant?

• Like 1

According to North of The James, the apartment will undergo significant renovations. It won't be razed for a new building though.

He plans on giving the outside a facelift and doing significant renovations inside to bring the apartment more in line with modern apartment offerings in RVA.

Completely redeveloping the block to be mixed used and right abut the sidewalk would be amazing. But considering the purchase price and how the developer would be attacked from all sides, it just doesn't make economic sense. 

It would need to not have much parking. It would need to have very high rents/sales price. Two things that would unify both sides of the NIMBYs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Crew was surveying the property on the corner of Lombardy and Admiral this afternoon. Take that for what it's worth. Property at VUU right next to I95, it's had a for sale sign in front of it for maybe a little over a year.

This corner? (southeast corner) Do we know of anything planned for any part of this swath - or - has any paperwork been filed with the city?

Screenshot (135).png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

That is the property. As I said it's had a for sale sign in front of it for a while but I don't know anything else.

Cool. Thanks for confirming, @123fakestreet👍

@RVABizSenseMike -- this parcel might be one you & your team want to keep and eye on for any transactions that happen. That whole area of town is transitioning and this parcel would be a likely candidate to see new development forthcoming.

Something substantial here would be excellent.  The townhomes across from Maggie Walker are going a long way to tie VUU to the Fan.  A visible development here (5 or more floors, please more!) would greatly diminish the visual impact of the I95 bridge making the neighborhoods feel connected for the fist time in 60 years. 

I’ll definitely keep this one on my radar.  I’ve been wanting to see something here for 20 or more years. 

• Like 1