NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

This place is rounding into form. Love the gov't Mule show, hoping more of that type of bands are going to frequent this venue. I think now that the details are coming out, we are seeing the potential for success.

If you can hear them.... The way I'm looking at the layout of the Boutique Amphitheatre as the semi's downshift coming up the Brookshire Freeway hill from I-77, the racket is either going to come from behind the audience and/or bounce off the buildings in front of the audience, both ways, competing with the music...

Sorry, but I've been to venues on the side of highways, and you have no idea that the highway is there. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of speakers drown out highway noise. So don't try to downplay the significance of this place. Not to mention Gov't Mule is playing at Fillmore, not boutique.

Even without the music you can barely here the highway at the Music Factory. Granted I've never been on that side of the complex, but on the outside of G&G there is little background noise from the interstate. Like nible said, with the music blasting, the interstate won't even be noticed.

Sorry, but I've been to venues on the side of highways, and you have no idea that the highway is there. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of speakers drown out highway noise. So don't try to downplay the significance of this place. Not to mention Gov't Mule is playing at Fillmore, not boutique.

The Ford Amphitheater that sits next to I-4 in Tampa seemed to have a bit of a problem with traffic noise.. They ended up constructing a 25 -30 sound wall next to the interstate.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=48...sa=N&tab=wl

The Ford Amphitheater that sits next to I-4 in Tampa seemed to have a bit of a problem with traffic noise.. They ended up constructing a 25 -30 sound wall next to the interstate.

As you mention the sound wall in Tampa, the sound wall is a part of the plan at NCMF too, if not as big as that. If you are driving by and looking at the stage from the highway, you should also see the wall they have built to help with this issue that borders the edge of the venue. IMO the proximity to the highway is actually a good thing assuming the sound isn't an issue, when I drive by now I see straight into the stage of the Boutique and if I see all of those people and the lights I will most certainly want to know what show is going on and what I am missing. But I'm just always looking for a good show.

Edited by lefty23

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned here, but they are now not calling the amphitheater "Charlotte Boutique Amphitheater", but a much better name imo, "Uptown Amphitheater at the Music Factory"....I like that name much better. I can't wait to see how this place does....I have been to the G & G Club once, and when Wet Willies, The Filmore, & Crobar open up, I will go more often, even if I have to drive all th way there instead of taking the Light Rail like I can to go to the Epicentre.

I didn't see it mentioned here, but they are now not calling the amphitheater "Charlotte Boutique Amphitheater", but a much better name imo, "Uptown Amphitheater at the Music Factory"....I like that name much better. I can't wait to see how this place does....I have been to the G & G Club once, and when Wet Willies, The Filmore, & Crobar open up, I will go more often, even if I have to drive all th way there instead of taking the Light Rail like I can to go to the Epicentre.

I've been keeping my eye on a concert coming up (Offspring and Sum 41) and I have seen the name of the venue listed as several different versions including Uptown Amphitheater, NC Music Factory, Charlotte Boutique Amphitheater, and Uptown Theater.

I've been keeping my eye on a concert coming up (Offspring and Sum 41) and I have seen the name of the venue listed as several different versions including Uptown Amphitheater, NC Music Factory, Charlotte Boutique Amphitheater, and Uptown Theater.

I saw the "Charlotte Boutique Amphitheater" listed on Pollstar, but I was just thinking that this was a filler name - like just saying "local music venue".

Also, regarding the Facebook page - I couldn't find it. Is it the NC Music Factory group? It said that group was for people involved in the NCMF and didn't have any pictures. I would love to see inside the Fillmore.

yes... i had heard many rumors that dale jr. was going to open his club @ the NCMF. i doubt that he is opening up two different clubs - he just went with the location with better traction. of course, i am only speculating...

NCMF has been very unsuccessful in delivering. a dale jr. club would have helped tremendously - in a project where isolationism is a big factor.

btw, what in the sam-pete is going on with the little late night diner... that was discussed here years ago?

Well, after 4 years of planning, replanninng, changing plans, resubmitting plans, losing funding, finding funding, losing partners, finding partners , etc....the project is back underway. We have formally submitted foundation plans to the city in hopes to move the diner to its home across the street into the Music Factory parking lot.

We are looking to move the diner the first week of June and then finish submitting plans for the rest of the build out to get it open. Won't be open in time for the first few Amphitheatre shows but hopefully by the mid/end of the summer to catch the end of the concert season.

Either way...we're finally able to get building! We couldn't be any more excited to get her open. Mattie's Diner is goingbe a great addtion to the Music Factory and to Charlotte! Keep your eyes open for more details. Feel free to post questions too. I will try to check for posts and respond.

Hey in somewhat related news, they're finally demo-ing the old entrance ramp from Graham St to Brookshire Fwy (the one that was closed to build the Seaboard St. extension into NCMF). So if you drive by on Brookshire, just before you merge to 77N - take a look at the chewed up concrete and rebar.

Actually the sound wall was constructed due to nearby neighborhoods complaining about the noise from concerts occasionally running too late into the night. The opposition became so great that without the sound barrier there were threats of imposing a mandatory curfew on shows. I went to a number of shows there before the wall was up and I never once had the sound of a passing truck interrupt the experience. I actually hate looking at it when passing on I-4. It's just plain ugly.

I am very excited about Crobar. Definitely a place I will visit on my regular trips back to the QC. I don't know, but for me something is lacking at the Forum. I miss the decadent days of Mythos. I have always felt that for a city the size of Charlotte there weren't enough large scale dance clubs. I think the city is doing well in the lounge or small, intimate club area, but no big, loud rooms to seriously cut loose. Crobar and The Fillmore will seriously raise Charlotte's nightlife credentials. Crobar's Chicago and Miami locations are truly world class clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

You are seriously posting pics of everything I want to see!

This project is much further along than I thought. For some reason, I thought 277 butted up against the amphitheater but I guess not. That's a good thing. I am going to love some concerts here this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the O today about the new NC Music Factory opening this coming weekend: NC Music Factory. Cannot wait for this. I'm actually going to see The Fray there for the first show at the uptown amphitheater. I also saw that the Black Crowes are playing at the Fillmore in September. Definitely going to that as well... This place is going to be something!

Edited by dbull75

I hope the place succeeds. That corner of Uptown needs a lot of TLC. Hopefully it will not hurt the local joints to a fatal degree. Live Nation does not have the most stellar marketing reputation.

The endgame is supposed to include residential. As mentioned in the article that component is critical for longterm viability so it can one day transistion into a real interconnected neighborhood. Might be a cool place to live, but one hopes the soundproofing in the theoretical future condos will be well insulated :w00t:

There was an article in the O today about the new NC Music Factory opening this coming weekend: NC Music Factory. ....
I saw this. The Observer got it completely wrong about the Charlotte population in downtown 20 years ago. They said 3000. The 1990 census has it set at 6032 and the Observer has actually used this # in the past. I guess they were trying to do some revisionist reporting to make their "conclusions" sound better.

Aside from that, it is impressive these guys are putting their own money into this thing like they have.

I was given a behind the scenes tour of the NC Music Factory facilities yesterday for CLTblog. Ken and everyone at ARK Group are great people and very friendly. Crews were working hard to get everything ready for tonight. Wolfgang Puck Catering is doing the concessions. Don't expect anything to be cheap - Sample prices for items include hamburgers for $6.00, hot dogs for $4.00, and beer from $8.00 for a 16 oz. Michelob Ultra or Shock Top, up to $11.00 for a 24 oz. Stella Artois.

Also, I'd recommend taking Hamilton St. as the back way in and out of the parking lots. Here are two panorama I made of the amphitheater, and you can see all the photos on the blog.

From the side, with the concessions stand on the far left:

3620508254_f1abbd9f60.jpg

View this image full size.

From on stage, yeah!

3619690519_1d2ceba7ef.jpg

View this image full size.

Had to add a little skyline shot from Hamilton St., of course:

3619695897_c64b16a739_o.jpg

Edited by InitialD

looks awesome! but are those stands still unfinished? i also hope that the fence will be dropped down in front of the stage during a show, there are lots of things about a layout that could potentially damage the experience but its impossible to tell without going.

as for the beer prices, i'm not surprised. i was at the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction show last night at Verizon and 24oz Buds were $11. needless to say i just won't drink at these shows. i would hope alcohol flows a little more freely in the Fillmore, but at least there will be adjacent bars if not. btw the nin/ja show was stellar, but way too short due to the 11pm noise curfew. will there be one here as well?

i'd like to go see Govt Mule there in July, but already heading to Nashville the next day for another show puts that in jeopardy...

Edited by nonillogical