NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I was looking up Crobar which is coming soon to NCMF and the Wiki page says a bunch of their locations closed recently, including NYC and others. But Charlotte is listed on their website AND it has a drawing of the Charlotte skyline included in their flash website. I don't know if that was mentioned before, but was cool to me.

Hopefully they can be successful here over the big cities because of the low rents at NCMF.

At first I was hesitant to root for this project because it was mostly just people driving here, but I am so happy it has succeed, and during bad times. LiveNation really came through for them.

Also, since one of the problems is getting pedestrians here, I think a great idea would be for CATS and CCCP to create a weekend route of the Goldrush Orange line bringing it across to the Music Factory and then down Tryon. It would help bring people between the two areas for night life.

I was looking up Crobar which is coming soon to NCMF and the Wiki page says a bunch of their locations closed recently, including NYC and others. But Charlotte is listed on their website AND it has a drawing of the Charlotte skyline included in their flash website. I don't know if that was mentioned before, but was cool to me.

Hopefully they can be successful here over the big cities because of the low rents at NCMF.

At first I was hesitant to root for this project because it was mostly just people driving here, but I am so happy it has succeed, and during bad times. LiveNation really came through for them.

Also, since one of the problems is getting pedestrians here, I think a great idea would be for CATS and CCCP to create a weekend route of the Goldrush Orange line bringing it across to the Music Factory and then down Tryon. It would help bring people between the two areas for night life.

The Goldrush Orange line is a good idea. If that doesn't happen, I would thin'k that the clubs in the NCMF would be willing to pay for shuttle service to and from Tryon Street. The shuttle could begin and end somewhere near the road adjacent to the Day Inn where an empty lot sits. It could run every half hour between 9:00 PM and 2: AM. Maybe the "Rage Charlotte" party buses would have an interest in such an endeavor? I would think that it is pretty easy to get a cab to and from the area though.

Went to Mattie's today for lunch with friends and I must say the menu was better than I thought it would be. They have a nice array of sandwiches and shakes, and also some scrumptious-looking entrees. I had the Italian Stallion sandwich. I am going back soon to try the Italian Meatloaf, stuffed with mozzarella, with tomato and onion sauce. Sounds yummy. Only complaint is it took a while to get the food, but I know they just opened and everybody is learning the place, plus there was a crowd. I will definitely be back. I just hope they serve breakfast anytime, and eventually are open 24/7 (if business can support it, with the other diner on Carson).

• 2 months later...

Comedy Zone has announced it's planned opening at the Factory. Apparently it's going to be a 400 seat venue with aims of attracting celebrity comedians.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/09/1824637/new-comedy-zone-to-open-uptown.html

On a related note, I went to the NCMF site to look at the planned space on the map and noticed two things. There is a new venue listed called Bask (at the Front stage area). Anyone know the details?

Also the Crobar/Country Saloon space is back to Country Saloon.

• 1 month later...

I think the group that owns the Crobar franchise/name is on their last leg and trying to use that to climb out of a hole. They have closed most (if not all) of their locations. Pretty sure they had serious intentions to do this one, but don't hold your breath for it. Personally I would rather it not happen than open to great fanfare and just close within a few months due to poor management.

I think the group that owns the Crobar franchise/name is on their last leg and trying to use that to climb out of a hole. They have closed most (if not all) of their locations. Pretty sure they had serious intentions to do this one, but don't hold your breath for it. Personally I would rather it not happen than open to great fanfare and just close within a few months due to poor management.

I believe you are correct. Crobar is trying to stay afloat, though they were slated to go to the Epicentre instead of NCMF. So I doubt they will open any new locations here or elsewhere.

BTW - that beer garden sounds pretty sweet. Will have to check that out when it opens.

Edited by dbull75

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like the pedestrian bridge idea either, but I just don't like the Graham to Seaboard route. Nothing rationale I guess about my dislike of it but I can't deny I get a mental block about it.

Again, maybe if they did something with the overpass btwn 10th & 11th like they are exploring on Trade between JCSU and J&W it would change the feel.

Regarding the ped bridge... Don't think about the old school ones that are a set of stairs and an elevator (like Sharon Road West Station). Think about the bridge in Millennium Park in Chicago. It's a gradual incline, it's wide, well lit, and attractively designed. That combined with sidewalks and ped-scale lighting on 9th and Johnson Streets would make it look and feel like a safe place to walk. I think people would WANT to walk if it is well done and you'd probably get some pretty sweet skyline shots from there too :)

That, in turn, could induce some new development along 9th St which would make it feel that much safer. After the ADM plant is destroyed I think the run-down industrial feel of that area will go away.

Remember too that the CSX line along Seaboard St will be lowered, and there will be a regular bridge over Johnson St, so any ped traffic won't have to deal with trains at all.

Thanks. Just so there is a readily availability of taxis. I feel pretty negative about walking around that area. Am I wrong?

I think you'd be fine if you're walking with friends. I've seen plenty of people do it. I personally wouldn't walk alone (that's just me though)

I think you'd be fine if you're walking with friends. I've seen plenty of people do it. I personally wouldn't walk alone (that's just me though)

I just recently walked from Mattie's diner over to BofA Stadium via the cemetery (Elmwood I think). This was the middle of the day and I wasn't alone. I wasn't scared, but even at that time of day there were some concerning individuals...groups congregating, sketchy people walking around and standing around in the cemetery, etc. This activity continued all the way back to just before the Music Factory. I would not walk anywhere in that area at night.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...