NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I attended the Fuel concert at the Music Factory this past friday which was a part of their $5 friday outdoor concerts. While I'm just not a big fan of the music factory in general, it was a great time for a cheap night. The crowd was VERY mixed in age, and it didn't get overly crowded. I'll def be checking out a couple more of those concerts when there's a band I'm interested in.

Also stopped by VBGB for a drink. Decent beer selection, and plenty of long wooden tables to sit at. But I really didn't get the vibe of a German beer hall? Not sure if that's what they are going for, but it felt more like a bar with 106.5 playing (the brand new wood fence and bright concrete patio doesn't really help either). Still worth a trip though, especially with the warmer weather coming up, and it's great to see the JFG sign lit up. :)

Also stopped by VBGB for a drink. Decent beer selection, and plenty of long wooden tables to sit at. But I really didn't get the vibe of a German beer hall? Not sure if that's what they are going for, but it felt more like a bar with 106.5 playing (the brand new wood fence and bright concrete patio doesn't really help either). Still worth a trip though, especially with the warmer weather coming up, and it's great to see the JFG sign lit up. :)

I haven't been by yet, but for a place I was so excited about on paper, the photos made the place look pretty underwhelming and inauthentic. Also, some of the higher beer prices I've seen in town. I may check it out before the Primus show next month, but if I'm not over there already for something, its not too enticing.

The Comedy Zone lineup doesn't strike me as too great yet (first show is Rob Schneider??) but that is only through August. Still a steady stream of recognizable names and I'm confident they'll get some acts more up my alley before the year is out.

Hmmm. I've been to a beer hall in Prague and one in England and frankly they are by nature just open rooms with tables so not certain what the expectation was.

I personally love VBGB precisely because the decor and music take second stage to just being able to sit around with people and just have a pitcher and talk. I kind that the charm in itself. Maybe it's just me. dontknow.gif

• 1 month later...

I was at the NC Music Factory last night and noticed in the parking lot (the one behind Mattie's Diner) that there was a sign for "Condominiums at the Factory Coming Soon" (or something to that effect). There was a rendering along with a description for 1.2 million sqft feet of retail, hotel and residences. Has anyone heard or seen some more info on this? I think a lot of us believe this area needs some residents to maintain success in the future.

Hmmm. I've been to a beer hall in Prague and one in England and frankly they are by nature just open rooms with tables so not certain what the expectation was.

I personally love VBGB precisely because the decor and music take second stage to just being able to sit around with people and just have a pitcher and talk. I kind that the charm in itself. Maybe it's just me. dontknow.gif

You're right. I've been to them all. The Haufbrauhaus in Munich is the biggest, oldest beerkeller in Europe. It is basically open spaces with long tables with chairs, nothing more. Great Britain (and Ireland) has nice/quaint pubs that are cozy and nice but definately not built for hoards of people.

You're right. I've been to them all. The Haufbrauhaus in Munich is the biggest, oldest beerkeller in Europe. It is basically open spaces with long tables with chairs, nothing more. Great Britain (and Ireland) has nice/quaint pubs that are cozy and nice but definately not built for hoards of people.

I'll throw a good word in for VBGB as well. I checked it out last week for the first time, and I loved it! Huge beers, a selections that changes daily, and the PRETZEL & BEER CHEESE. It's in CAPS for a reason. You need to try it.

Interesting side note...Zane Lamprey and his crew from the "Drinking Made Easy" and "Three Sheets" shows was there last week and loved this place - he was in an apparent beer cheese coma when he left. I talked to some of his crew and they said he had 5 or 6 pretzels that night (and they are big). He also made it to Philosopher's Stone, Crave, Phil's Tavern, and Prohibition. The "Drinking Made Easy" episode for Charlotte is supposed to air in January, and you might just see me and my fiance hanging at the bar at VBGB because I was there when they were filming. He's off to Charleston for his next drinking journey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, it looks like apartments are finally on tap for the NC Music Factory. 200 units are set to be built here, along with a boutique hotel. Construction on the apartments is set to begin in the spring (so should be in the next month or two) and should be ready in about a year. It will be two 5 story buildings called "NC Music Factory Apartments" (how creative). I'm hoping there are plans for more soon because I really think they are grossly underestimating the demand for apartments here.

I can't wait to see some of these parcels closer to Graham built up, especially if an apartment community can go in and get some of the cachet of NCMF.

I suspect the retail will be more entertainment and restaurant space. Seems they are successful at making those happen.

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely the furmanesque midrise style that is a lot of places these days, but still I am excited about this project. Not only the location bridging 4th Ward and NCMF, but the density on a plot that is unexpected.

Given the young people they will market to, I'm sure that street-side pool will be quite the 'streetlife'.

Owner is shopping the project to developers to sell of rather than develop themselves, so the rendering/architecture/site plan you see today may not be what materializes. I've also seen a rendering of the hotel planned for the music factory. Very art deco 70's mod. Not sure the timeline on that or how it would be branded using the existing design. I don't know how that would do in that location assuming a high end boutique concept that it appears to be.

• 4 months later...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28202&hl=en&ll=35.23694,-80.842901&spn=0.003383,0.004206&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.956457,68.90625&t=h&hnear=Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&z=18

The mainline crossing project is going to make the Johnson crossing a small bridge while CSX is dropped into a trench. I would love to see NCMF buy up these industrial projects and expand the entertainment options closer into town.

The city has been looking at adding a pedestrian bridge across the tracks to return access to the cemetery. I could see these buildings being a great annex for NCMF further building out the area as an entertainment district. The green space of the cemetery could be an asset in the long run, and the buildings seem suitable to similar types of reuse like in the original project.