NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

How will it help, just out of curiosity?? there will still be big ugly abondoned (I think??) factories (or whatever they are) in the way.

It will help in that currently, it's an open field.  And the road that leads to the Music Factory looks like it leads to said factory.  Creating additional pedestrian activity along Seaboard in the form of apartment dwellers moving both toward the Music Factory and toward uptown reduces the perception that it is a road to the factory.  It also will increase, or at least create the perception, of increased safety on the street.  Right now I don't know how comfortable I would even be walking from the corner of Graham & 10th to the Music Factory at night.  At least with apartments on Seaboard, I can see human activity and I feel like there are witnesses to my imminent demise.

Well being such a large entrenched operation I doubt it is going anywhere soon...

This is an extremely advantageous location for ADM, right at the intersection of the CSX and Norfolk Southern mainline railroads. The fact that they can be served by both railroads probably drives their shipping costs down quite a lot. The fact that they wanted to preserve the ability to be served by both railroads and NOT lose the ability to expand was one of the main issues that caused the CSX/NS grade separation to get canceled.

Thank you for this insight. Is there truly no alternative? Or was it simply easy for them to say "we don't want to lay out the capital to change our infrastructure"? Was there any city or state funding committed to the grade separation project?

(Coming from the Hudson Valley of New York and being a regular rider of the Metro North trains that run up to 90 miles north of NYC I can't fathom why Mooresville and all points north are not clamoring for the Red Line. I understand car culture but I bet there would be many converts once they started watching the trains speed by the morning/evening gridlock. Oh well.)

• Like 1

I think the problem was that redesigning the project to meet their demands coupled with the extremely complicated phasing for the project would have made it impossible to build in time for the ARRA deadline.

Maybe it can be built in combination with a project to rebuild (or demolish??) the Brookshire. The piers for the bridge that this railroad diamond is under were a big constraint and seemed to add a lot of complexity to the project.

• 3 months later...

A pre-submittal meeting has been scheduled for the apartments at the NC Music Factory. Description says +/-200 apartments.

This morning there was a single bulldozer in the middle of the lot where this complex is slated to be built.  Anyone know if this is actually going to happen? 

• 1 month later...

CBJ had an article about the new AvidXchange HQ, and apparently the 115k office tower will be the first of two for the company. Eventually they will build a second building, pretty sweet! Also Woodfield and Ark Ventures are moving forward on the 205 unit apartment building that we have all been waiting for. It will begin construction 1st Qtr 2015. 

Here is a screen shot.
post-17104-0-25020400-1412343631_thumb.p

Edited by Guest

CBJ had an article about the new AvidXchange HQ, and apparently the 115k office tower will be the first of two for the company. Eventually they will build a second building, pretty sweet! Also Woodfield and Ark Ventures are moving forward on the 205 unit apartment building that we have all been waiting for. It will begin construction 1st Qtr 2015. 

I've forgotten at this point, that Apt building will go on the road leading into Music Factory, right?

Here is a screen shot.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.42.36 AM.png

Roughly how tall would a 115k office tower be?

Roughly how tall would a 115k office tower be?

Honestly I couldn't tell you, it really depends on the footprint of the building. Ark Properties owns acres and acres of land over there, and eventually they plan for 1.5 million square feet of retail, residential and office. With this in mind I would expect the footprint to be relatively small, so approximately 6-8 floors, but i could be wayyyy off.

Edited by Guest

If there is a single part of town that cries out for high frequency transit to catalyze development it is the music factory. The existing underutilized parking cold be used as park and ride while waiting for office space build out.

To bad that the location is so isolated -- the routing between downtown and the MF and -then- going beyond the MF is quite a conundrum. It seems nearly impossible to build a shuttle service to downtown that would be fast enough to make it worthwhile. It may be time for tunneling!

Honestly I couldn't tell you, it really depends on the footprint of the building. Ark Properties owns acres and acres of land over there, and eventually they plan for 1.5 million square feet of retail, residential and office. With this in mind I would expect the footprint to be relatively small, so approximately 6-8 floors, but i could be wayyyy off.

Guess this answers my question.  Quote from CBJ:

"Louis Stephens, a managing director with JLL who is representing AvidXchange, says the company’s first four-story, 115,000-square-foot headquarters building will be sold to an investor."

Guess this answers my question.  Quote from CBJ:

"Louis Stephens, a managing director with JLL who is representing AvidXchange, says the company’s first four-story, 115,000-square-foot headquarters building will be sold to an investor."

:-( womp womp. 

I would love to see something like Citrix's new HQ in Raleigh.

Edited by Guest

I kinda hope they don't follow that plan too closely. Especially if the office buildings hover in the four/five story range. I understand you can't really get a feel for how a project is going to look from a conceptual plan, but I think it has a Ballantyne feel. It just looks too sterile to be across from NCMF.

And what is the deal with the parking? It says surface and structured parking phase 2, but I don't see a "structure". Are they going below grade? 

• 3 months later...