NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

The thing is, had Avid Xchange wowed us and presented a creative and progressive building design then I might not mind the renaming of the factory. Like Hop head said, naming rights are pretty commonplace but I would rather it be with a company that "gets it". Not one that clearly doesn't give a damn about the area they are moving into.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The thing is, had Avid Xchange wowed us and presented a creative and progressive building design then I might not mind the renaming of the factory. Like Hop head said, naming rights are pretty commonplace but I would rather it be with a company that "gets it". Not one that clearly doesn't give a damn about the area they are moving into.

Completely agree. It's just clear they said "this is our area now everyone else be damned" rather than actually try to incorporate themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nonillogical said:

It's sad that I really can't even be excited about those development possibilities just because it is tied to them. It may be in name only and go to a decent architect and developer, but my expectations are about as low as they can be. 

Agreed. I should be HYPED about a hotel and further development in the music factory because that's amazing news. But the simple fact Avid is tied to it tells me the design is going to suck and not be worthwhile at all.

I'm pleased and excited to see the new development.

I'm not upset by the new naming of the Music Factory. AvidXchange is a tech company so it's palatable. Google Music Factory. RedHat Music Factory. Cisco Music Factory. Yahoo! Music Factory. Not too bad. People will continue to just call it the Music Factory.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I'm not upset by the new naming of the Music Factory. AvidXchange is a tech company so it's palatable. Google Music Factory. RedHat Music Factory. Cisco Music Factory. Yahoo! Music Factory. Not too bad. People will continue to just call it the Music Factory.

The name in itself might not mean much but the branding that is going to be applied to the place will bring it down a bit visually. What taste we've gotten of that already today is about as blandly corporate as can be, and can only have a negative effect on the experience IMO. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Are they merging with a company from Brazil and moving? What... Too soon??

Please forgive me the digression, but I never understood the appeal of the Banana Company. They had long been known in corporate circles as a shady purveyor of a low-margin monoline-and their Fresh Express salads go bad in 48 hours. 

Sometimes, Charlotte and North Carolina simply cannot escape the cackalacky.

Good riddance.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods

Just now, RiverwoodCLT said:

Now we have Bank of America Stadium,  BB&T Ball Park,  Time Warner Cable Arena, and  AvidXchange Music Factory uptown.

Denver has Sports Authority Field, Coors Field, Pepsi Center, Dick's Sporting Goods Park....we aren't alone in sponsorships. Most sporting venue and concert venues are sponsored. What grinds my gears here is the sponsoring of an entire entertainment complex with a company that doesn't match its vibe at all. Mix in their god awful buildings and its just a bad taste. If their buildings were top notch I don't think you'd find any complaints, would probably be applauded if they had that good will.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just can't believe Lazes is selling naming rights. Sounds either 1 of 2 things. Greedy, or struggling. I can't imagine that they are struggling, so I think he must just be Greedy. I can understand the naming rights for the amphitheater, but the whole complex, its just ludicrous. We are just lucky that Lazes didn't win the bid on Carolina Theatre. Can you imagine "The Bank of America Sonic Automotive Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Lake Norman Carolina Theatre," in bright lights on a Marquee.

They'd have to get a much longer street sign too.

16 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Exactly. Nobody called it the "North Carolina Music Factory" anyway.. just "Music Factory." Though for what it's worth I think a lot of music venues tend to get called by their corporate name. I know I tend to talk about going to concerts at "Verizon," not "the amphitheater" (and with the name change I'll probably call it "PNC" and not "the pavillion"). That being said, the venues here are the Fillmore Charlotte and the TWC Uptown Amphitheater, not the Music Factory.

18 hours ago, go_vertical said:

This sums up perfectly how everyone I've talked to about this feels. Minus the people I know that work for the company and are convinced they are changing the world. 

This isn't even Gateway Village quality development (which doesn't have Bank of America's name on it).

18 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

You're right.  Hopefully next we'll get "Taco Bell's Historic First Ward" and "The Mecklenburg Declaration, brought to you by Carls Jr".

All those other companies you listed sound equally as bad, even with their significantly more well known brands.  And at the very least, they are known for being innovators.  The RedHat building in Raleigh is downtown and, while not a wonder, built itself into the urban fabric of the city.  It's like the company actually cared about how it was perceived.

No thanks.  The less corporate bullcraptery, the better.  Especially when it's slapped on to what was a "historic" mill turned entertainment facility.  Even if it was relatively new, at the very least it could sell itself off as a Charlotte institution.  Now it's going to sit next to the suburban hell that Avidxchange is constructing and be named after it.  BLEH.  We seriously have such low expectations.  It's discouraging.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Also, this is just hilarious to me:

" The fintech company’s co-founder and CEO Michael Praeger told reporters after the announcement he thinks people will shorten the new name to “AvidX Music Factory.” "

Yeah, I'll get right around to calling it that....

Oh, for the love of God. I think I'll stick to the NC Music Factory, thanks.

9 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Also interesting that the poll posted above (https://www.charlotteagenda.com/34479/the-n-c-music-factory-has-a-new-name/) suddenly had a huge spike in positive votes for AvidXchange.  It was at like 150 to 30 about an hour ago.  now it's 190 to 100.  Seems a little suspect to me...

Someone check the IP addresses on the poll submissions and see how many of them are coming from AvidXchange..