NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

indeed, still not an exactly proud lineup of musicians and artists.

This NC Music Factory looks interesting to me, I will surely see a few shows or something there and maybe rent some practice space if I ever start my band back up again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also stumbled upon this the other day - http://www.midatlanticmusic.com/home.htm

Although I'm not sure what to think of it.

indeed, still not an exactly proud lineup of musicians and artists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually Ben Folds Five's first album was quite the rave on the indie scene when it came out, it was very original (who ever heard of a punk influenced piano leading a group with no guitar before or since) and got pretty much all excellent reviews.... and NC in the past has been more than just a blip on the radar screen when it comes to independent rock.... a lot of really good acts came from this state. Although I don't think Charlotte contributed a lot to that scene. Although, R.E.M. did record their classic first full-length album Murmur here.

Hopefully Charlotte's best days are ahead of her musically. I certainly hope so.

NC has tons of great music, in terms of both concerts and musicians who have come out of the state. Charlotte, however, not so much, unfortunately. Maybe that will change.

It seems that people aren't really into concerts here, but maybe if we had a great venue for mid-sized concerts the popularity would grow.

Also stumbled upon this the other day - http://www.midatlanticmusic.com/home.htm

Although I'm not sure what to think of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks questionable, especially if you check out their main site at wholeteam.com.

The interesting item here is they are having the conference at the Best Western on S. McDowell, formerly the Four Points Sheraton. Did I miss that announcement?

• 2 weeks later...

i thought that, too. it is too generic or non-specific or something. Why can't people think of original names anymore :).

Why not Lazes Village or something like that. At least it would be something original and based on the person creating it.

The key to the success of this project is access, access, access.  They're going to have their hands full trying to get roads into this place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I went over there a few weeks ago to see what it was like. We had to wait for at least 10 minutes for a train to pass before we could take the little road back there. It would certainly not be a path I would be willing to walk, especially at night. I hope they get something worked out because I think it has potential to be cool, but right now I don't see how many people would go back there.

the access issue was discussed earlier in the thread. They are basically working with the city to build an extension of Seaboard St, which would bypass many of the tracks by connecting to Graham Street as seen on the following map:

maprender.jpg

While i agree that even with this new street connection, this part of town is still out of the way of pedestrian and driving traffic, it will at least make driving routes easier, while most pedestrians, i believe will come via the cemetary from Gateway.

Good Charlotte is from DC...

The most known band from the charlotte area right now is between the buried and me... Charlotte is only known for the hardcore scene, someone correct me if I am wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes Good Charlotte is from the DC area (Rockville, MD to be exact). Being a fan of metal I consider GC to be the biggest embarrasment for us Washingtonians.

As for Charlotte area bands, in the pop-metal world there is Killswitch Engage who hail from Charlotte. They are Ozzfest heroes.

wow, I thought they were from Boston. Well then they would be the top ones right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they relo'd to the Boston scene because that is the "home" of metalcore (the unholy blend of maiden'esque riffs blended with hardcore breakdowns)

I have another one, James Taylor grew up in Chapel Hill. He wasn't born in the Carolinas though.

You're not going to leave out American Idol superstars Clay Aiken and Fantasia, are you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, now your talking my language. i am a NC music booster. here are some natives:

nina simone: one of the greatest

roberta flack: gave us "killing her softly"

ben e. king: gave us "stand by me"

george clinton: gave us "p-funk"

john coltrane: sax god

thelonius monk: jazz piano god

max roach: jazz drum god

lou donaldson: sax

tori amos: piano/singer temptress

james taylor (kinda): enough of a native to give us "carolina on my mind"

charlie daniels: "devil went down to georgia"

doc watson: folk/bluegrass guitar god

elizabeth cotton: folk

randy travis: country

earl scruggs : bluegrass

floyd council (nc): these 2 gave birth to the name PINK FLOYD

pink anderson (sc)

...just to name a few.

Edited by cinco

• 1 month later...

From what I hear BB King's music club out of Memphis has joined this project. There is also supposed to be some big Atlanta club joining in here. I've also heard Ben and Jerry's and Wolfman Pizza are signed on as well. This is in addition to the Illusions club and Dale Earnhart Jr's club. I also saw that they were wanting to create pedestrian access to Gateway Village via an extension of a greenway.