NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I went to a holiday party at the NC Music Factory last night. They had a great turnout. Free drinks, free food, live music -- it was a blast. The buildings were open to roam, and you could tour the Creative Loafing offices. Also, they had some new renderings that I haven't seen yet, of both the Seaboard St. widening and of the residental complex. I took these pictures on my phone which is why they look like crap. The best rendering, which showed all the spiral staircases on the exterior of the building was so blurry I didn't even bother to upload it.

Seaboard St.

2091808533_7753820b17.jpg

Residential Complex. Check out the two-story balconies with spiral staircases!!! Many more spiral staircases on multiple levels (not just the top like in this front picture)also exist on either side of the exterior of the building, giving it a unique and impressive look with all the spirals, but that picture didn't turn out (the rendering was a picture facing the left side of the building as it is seen here).

2091808293_fdaee95060.jpg

Edited by ScottCLT

I'm not too sure about the Seabord extension. From the looks of the rendering, it appears that pedestrians are going to be crossing a bridge on a fairly narrow (just wide enough for 2 people to pass each other) sidewalk with traffic whizzing by. I hope the final result is more comfortable, otherwise that's going to be a very unattractive place to walk. I'd rather have no median, in order to slow traffic, and add that extra space to the curb.

Love the spiral staircases, though. If those balconies are going to be facing uptown they'll have a heck of a view. I wonder what's under that upstairs canopy?

I also attended the holiday party. Had a lot of fun during the brief time i was there. The new renderings look really cool, and hopefully the extension really makes the area feel more urban and safe. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk to and from uptown to the area without fearing for my safety around those tracks or having to walk all the way up statesville then back through greenville.

They also just sent out a newsletter, which you can view below.

ncmf_newsletter.jpg

http://www.ncmusicfactory.com/

Kind of weird that there will be a lawyers office as one of the tenents.

Sounds good though. I'm skeptical about the street extension whether it will in fact make the area safer. I hope so because right now I wouldn't dare walk to this area.

Edited by Andyc545

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couple of updates on this project:

-The Seaboard Extention should be complete by April.

-Next week Meck Co Commision is expected to approve a land swap with the NC Music Factory that will allow them to build their outdoor amphitheatre.

-In this week's CBJ Noah Lazes states they are planning on opening Crobar and Butter there this year.

Seeing that Crobar will be part of the NC Music factory caught my eye. That is a very high level nightclub whose other locations are Miami, Chicago, Buenos Aires, and Lebanon. This has the potential to kick Charlotte's nightlife up a notch if it happens. The Lazes' own crobar should it would not be hard for them to make it happen here in Charlotte.

Couple of updates on this project:

-The Seaboard Extention should be complete by April.

-Next week Meck Co Commision is expected to approve a land swap with the NC Music Factory that will allow them to build their outdoor amphitheatre.

-In this week's CBJ Noah Lazes states they are planning on opening Crobar and Butter there this year.

Seeing that Crobar will be part of the NC Music factory caught my eye. That is a very high level nightclub whose other locations are Miami, Chicago, Buenos Aires, and Lebanon. This has the potential to kick Charlotte's nightlife up a notch if it happens. The Lazes' own crobar should it would not be hard for them to make it happen here in Charlotte.

No way, Crobar is too good to be true. I saw Paul van Dyk at Crobar Chicago, and Sander Kleinenberg at Crobar Miami. The Club is fantastic. I can't wait for the outdoor ampitheatre, so we will actually have stuff to do in charlotte!

. I saw Paul van Dyk at Crobar Chicago, and Sander Kleinenberg at Crobar Miami. The Club is fantastic. I can't wait for the outdoor ampitheatre, so we will actually have stuff to do in charlotte!

It is too good to be true but not b/c Noah couldn't make it happen. Noah was one of the partners and ran Crobar in Miami a few years ago (I don't believe it is open anymore...it is now Mansion if I'm not mistaken). He has connections with some big club owners in NYC and Miami and definitely has the experience and previous success of running clubs like this.

This would definitely put the NC Music factory on the map...as well as Charlotte for that matter. To open a club like this would also entail bringing in some big DJ's...but I will believe it when I see it!

• 1 month later...

Okay I have to confess that I really loved the idea of this NC Music Factory and Noah's vision behind it. I however have been very skeptical due to some of the decisions he has made in the past. I do hope he proves me wrong, and that he will in fact be able to create a cool music venue that Uptown Charlotte desperately lacks. Whether Charlotte can draw regional and national acts that normally bypass Charlotte for more eclectic markets like Chapel Hill, Atlanta, & Asheville will yet to be determined. This may in fact have nothing to do with the booking managers and more to due with Charlotte's lack of support for these markets. As I have stated before that my theory about this subject has more to do with the fact that Charlotte's airwaves are controlled by the likes of Clear Channel. Also to note that the voices of independent taste are not heard because we do not have the outlets of college radio that many other cities do.

With that being said, I was driving by on 277 when I saw the structure of the NC Music Factory's amphitheater. It took me by surprise as I never realized that the NC Music Factory had enough space to support something of this size. So I drove in to get a closer look of the construction. I was really impressed, and whether crappy cover bands or good original acts grace the stage, I believe this will be for the better of Charlotte. I am very excited about the potential of this project now.

IMG-0694_580x435.jpg

Edited by fulcrumsf

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving on 277 yesterday and the ampitheater was poking up above the tree line. It is massive! It really makes a presence on 277 and makes you wonder what that is. It's all wood framed right now but I think theYea its vy've finished the framing.

I've been seeing it for the past month or two whenever I need to go up to the University Area (the closer Trader Joes to downtown) It is pretty large.

• 1 month later...

Once the Seaboard Extention is open the plan is to close the 9th and 11th St track crossings. City Council is scheduled to vote on this later in June to make it all possible. The end result is that hopefully this will cut back on the train having to blow its horn since all the at grade crossings will be eliminated.