NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

Once the Seaboard Extention is open the plan is to close the 9th and 11th St track crossings. City Council is scheduled to vote on this later in June to make it all possible. The end result is that hopefully this will cut back on the train having to blow its horn since all the at grade crossings will be eliminated.

uptownliving, alas, if this were only the case. I, too, thought this would substantially reduce the train noise but it will not. The ADM plant with their silos operate what is known as a private grade crossing. This private series of tracks cuts directly down the middle of their plant property -- meaning that there is still a grade level set of tracks that will necessitate blowing their horns.

In addition, there is a whistle post located just around 12th Street that won't be removed, either. When an engineer sees a whistle post, he/she must blow the horn in a specified sequence, (Long, Longer, Shortest, Longest), depending upon the markings on it. When freight trains come around the corner (beneath the 277 overpass) heading southbound it is a blind curve, and due to the homeless transients that congregate around there it will always be a problem. 2008 YTD, there have been I believe one if not two homeless persons who have been killed at that location already.

I have been basically told by the NCDOT that the only way we will see this problem go away is a) the ADM plant closes down; and then B) the City of Charlotte applies to have a federally mandated "quite zone" established, which often costs tens of millions of dollars to implement all of the signals, crossings and life safety features to be added. The city of Cary did this some years ago.

The following link is a pretty good read about what Cary had to do:

http://www.townofcary.org/pd/pl08-001exh-a.htm

City of Cary

I too wish this would come to fruition, but there are a lot of factors at play here (including, but not limited to, future improvements and the addition of the north line commuter train... that will literally pass right through there as well).

• 2 months later...

Seaboard Extension is just about complete. The road is paved and connected all the way to Graham and the curbs and medians are complete going toward the music factory. On Graham they are completing widening the road to allow for the turn lane on to Seaborad Extension. Shouldn't be long now I hope until its open for business.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard much press about this what so ever, and I've been suprised to not hear about it on UP but The first venue at NC Music Factory opens today. Its called the Garden and Gun Club, its 12,000 sq feet, has a large dance floor and outdoor patio. Its going to be mostly progressive dance music with a heavy bit of attention to the underground variety. The grand opening is tonight with guest DJ Angel Moraes. Here are ticket sales... I think it might be member only tho...

http://groovetickets.com/ordersystem/groov...p;%20Gun%20Club

and website for the venue...

http://www.thegandgclub.com/

For those who want an explanation of the name, here it is, straight from their myspace page.

Nothing and everything. The G&G Club isn't about weapons or landscaping, it's not a sly Southern country club for belles and beaus - it's a paradox. It's the ying and the yang, the soft and the hard, the good and the bad, the left and the right, the past and the future - it's about searching for what's different and finding the unexpected. But really? It's just a name.

Edited by Guest

The Charlotte House Music Society is started up last week at the G and G club as well. www.myspace.com/clthousemusic I've seen some flyers around town in different neighborhoods over the past week. The Observer and the CBJ picked it up today. I'd be surprised if any new large bar opening in Uptown in the foreseeable future didn't go members only. A.L.E. is cracking down big time on private clubs and enforcing memberships. I am not sure what the criteria for a private club entails but I have heard that if you don't serve food but serve alcohol you have to be a private club.

^ Pretty much....to be a private club, you have to charge membership. Membership is often only $1 annually at most clubs, and that allows you to bring a certain number of guests, that I believe have to sign in.

I forgot the exact nuances of the food rule, but a certain % (I'm thinking 30%) of an establishment's receipts have to be for food items for a place to keep its liquot license, otherwise their only other option is the private club route, where they must maintain a membership list.

I predict it won't change for 20 years or more. North Carolina still has "dry" counties and liquor-by-the-drink still fails sometimes when a county puts it up for a vote.

I've always thought state lotteries were stupid, but look how long that battle took - to get one the of the stingiest lotteries in the USA. We don't have a legislature that likes to tinker with the status quo.

Edited by MZT

I want to see a lot of these places succeed, especially if they are good, but can Charlotte handle all these new bars/clubs? I love the variety and it feels like the nightlife scene here is finally starting to take off/move to a whole new level. At the same time, I wonder if we can support most of these places. Also, if anyone goes to the G&G club, I'd love to hear how it was.

I walked around the NC Music Factory the other day and came across the G&G Club. It was strange to see them there, but I do hope they succeed and make some progress on the project overall. It is creepily empty.

I do notice that the Seaboard Street is getting close to opening.

I walked around the NC Music Factory the other day and came across the G&G Club. It was strange to see them there, but I do hope they succeed and make some progress on the project overall. It is creepily empty.

Very excited myself about the G&C Club. I am good friends with some of the managers, and it's a good concept. Seaboard Street extension can't open too soon! Interestingly, the original Garden & Gun Club is here in Charleston, and we have a new magazine that P&C puts out called "Garden and Gun." Definitely for the very elite!

Garden & Gun Magazine - an award winner! Click this link for their website.

Very excited myself about the G&C Club. I am good friends with some of the managers, and it's a good concept. Seaboard Street extension can't open too soon! Interestingly, the original Garden & Gun Club is here in Charleston, and we have a new magazine that P&C puts out called "Garden and Gun." Definitely for the very elite!

Garden & Gun Magazine - an award winner! Click this link for their website.

Yeah, they (Magazine in Charleston) sued the Garden and Gun club here over the name. I believe they won or are winning, hence all the signs saying the G & G club instead of Garden and Gun club.

Seabord St. ext is open! I drove on it today...took it by the Music factory, love the new artwork at the entrance saying music factory. Very original. Can't wait for more more work to be done, it does still seem kind of 'under construction' and dead. The Garden and gun club looks nice enough, but there isn't much else happening. It is nice to have the street open finally. Its a good shortcut to Greenville too, no more waiting at the light at Statesville and Graham :)

Edited by lefty23

I'm looking forward to checking out G&G. I think due to it's obscure location it may take a while to catch on but I'm hoping QC will embrace this type of music scene.......so did you see any places for 5-0 to be waiting for unsuspecting people to come out of the club in the wee hours on Seabord? I just hope it doesn't turn into a B.Y.O.E. (any guesses on the "E") party that you are constantly reading about in the paper Monday mornings of yet another Rave "bust"! Only time will tell......regardless...."let this house be PROGRESSIVE!!!"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some Excellent news!! NC Music Factory has signed on with Live Nation, per this Charlotte Biz Journal Article. LN will schedule up to 180 shows at the 2,000 seat venue and up to 30 concerts at the 5,000 seat venue. This should bring in some nice acts that may not be main stream enough for TWC Arena but too big for Amos'.

Also this week, Seaboard Street has finally opened.

Some Excellent news!! NC Music Factory has signed on with Live Nation, per this Charlotte Biz Journal Article. LN will schedule up to 180 shows at the 2,000 seat venue and up to 30 concerts at the 5,000 seat venue. This should bring in some nice acts that may not be main stream enough for TWC Arena but too big for Amos'.

THAT IS AWESOME! When do they expect to start scheduling shows?

*drool*... This is one of the best things that could have happened to the NC Music Hall. This will raise its profile up to the next notch and is capable of putting Charlotte on an upgraded music list for concerts at least in uptown. Live Nation is actually bringing the Filmore venue, which for those that aren't familiar, originated in San Fran in the 60's(?) which has played some high profile venues (can someone say The Who?), and have since brought a list of cities that Charlotte should be thankful to share with: Miami Beach, Denver, Detroit, and Irving Square in NY. If we only had it sooner, maybe we could have had New Kids on The Block in 4th Ward :rolleyes: . OK- seriously... I'm excited about this news.

I sort of wish the 2 thousand seat concert hall was larger now...

Edited by Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a gay club a few years back in this area and getting there was near impossible. Anyway, is this "village" actually going to become a destination. It seems so removed from the real heart of the uptown scene. I wonder if running some type of free shuttle service on the weekends between college st and this area would work? At last for a short time to get people to at least check the area out. Just a thought. It just seems like epicenter is such a draw now. Can Charlotte support so many options?